DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long (hours, flights, distance) before flying was 'natural'?

MadProphet

Reactions
For new pilots, never flown a drone before, how long was it before you were able to stop thinking about how to do it and just fly?
I've been shooting pictures with a dslr for years, so I've got camera settings down, at least for stills but video is still a challenge.
What I'm really interested in tho is how long it took before you could fly without thinking which stick movement did what. While I'm working on creating videos that are smoother, a lot of my problem is not jerking the stick but rather panning down when I meant to pan up or increasing altitude when I intended to go forward. Pushing forward on the left stick feels counter-intuitive sometimes as does using the right for forward / back. I've considered changing stick modes, but that would mean starting over since I have no experience.
I've flown four days with about 2.5 hours and around 12 miles (?). Am I expecting too much, too soon?

It takes as long as it takes, for me it was after about 12 hours of flying for others it may take longer, look at it like driving a car, some pass a test after 5 lessons and others spend months driving before passing a test.

I know people who have flown for a long time but still get confused when the quad is facing them

Most people starting for the first time will use the FPV screen solely for orientation. After a short while, that feels like playing a first person video game. Most think that they can fly by then.
It is great to read that you are seriously trying to learn to actually fly.

You should build up build stick time while watching the quad in the sky. Keep it close and at max 30 feet. Fly a figure eight, a perfect square, a perfect circle, and do that many times, left and right around, keeping the nose out (away from you) first, later everything again but with nose in. Then everything again with the nose following directions. Try to make perfect and smooth turns. Try to fly slow and without speed changes (good for video). Always take off and land manually. Switch off VPS so you get a feeling of the ground effect when you land. Later you set it back on if you will, this purely for practise.

Do all this first in the GO App simulator a lot of times before going outside. The sim is really good for stick time and getting the second nature. It will use the mavics on board electronics so every setting in you mavic is also in the simulator.

Happy hovering!

Reactions: Ozimax and ksmusa
These videos might help answer your question. I would personally recommend focusing on mastering maneuvers and drone controls rather than the total number of hours taken to become comfortable with drone operations .

Reactions: shaverdan
I used to fly rc ducted fan jets, so first person view from a drone, at a fraction of the speed, came pretty easy.

Reactions: ksmusa
First person veiw is how I fly 100% of the time. If you get excited let go of sticks.

I find that consistency is king here. If I put it down for a week, when I get back to it I have to think a little more before moving. But on day 4 of a 5 day stretch of daily flying...I'm pretty agile and can maneuver it with confidence.

Practice is the only way to develop muscle memory. Take it to an open area, keep it close enough to see its reaction to your inputs, and fly it without looking at the display (after verifying the Home Point settings are correct). Once you are comfortable with your stick movements, then you can work on gimbal control. It helps to dampen down the stick and gimbal control so it is not so jerky. You will need to experiment to find what works for you.

For smoother motion use the Tripod or Cinematic modes. Just remember that in Cinematic mode the stopping and turning reaction will be slower. You can frame a subject in Spotlight mode, move in closer, then record while moving up and away. You control the flight and the mode controls the gimbal (don't forget to set the focus).

It still boils down to practice. How long it takes to get good will be different for everyone.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I appreciate the feedback. My last flight was somewhat frustrating but I now see I was expecting too much. The videos are exactly what I was looking for but not finding. Most focus (sorry) on filming rather than flying.

Glad summer is coming so I can get out there more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji