DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many batteries are to many?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3792
  • Start date
Does the battery in your controller last through them all ?
when i used my android device it would take a lot of charge from the controller battery and i used a power bank to top it up between flights as i travelled to a different location but since changing to an i pad several weeks ago i can now fly 5 batteries down to around 40% my first warning level and this will give me 18-20 mins of video and even after flying 5 batteries i still have 60-65% battery left in the controller

My mavic controller uses about 10 percent per battery - I use the USB hub to an ipad mini2. I got three batteries out of the gate 14 months ago - thinking about adding one per year even though my batteries are still in good shape - 45 charges on each and still get 25 minutes flight time.

Last edited:
when i used my android device it would take a lot of charge from the controller battery and i used a power bank to top it up between flights as i travelled to a different location but since changing to an i pad several weeks ago i can now fly 5 batteries down to around 40% my first warning level and this will give me 18-20 mins of video and even after flying 5 batteries i still have 60-65% battery left in the controller
The same for me with My IPhone 7+.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have 4 batteries, but I also carry this on trips where I anticipate more flying.
It allows you to use the regular AC charger while out in the field. I bring it when hiking, backpacking, camping, etc.

Even on trips where I am near my car it is useful since I don't need to keep the car battery on at night to recharge.

Haven't tested how many dji mavic 2 batteries it can charge before 100 -> 0 but it is a 27000mAh power bank.

1567703075585.png

https://amzn.to/2NSLxqa

Reactions: Mrmund
Thanks old man mavic another reason to splash out on a dreaded I Pad
Don't know how many I could run down with my tablet as I only have 3.
i know how you feel, but i am glad i took the plunge, i am very pleased with the difference it has made to my flying experience i got it for the screen size and the great price, i was a diehard android user before but i was struggling with the display on my device

When you have done all the flying you need/want to do and still have one battery left. Then you have enough :)

I have 4 each for my M2P's. My standard controller drops to about 60%. And I use a phone. Crank it to 1200 nit. And I could run through all 8 batteries. Should put me at 20 to 30%. Never ran through all 8 in a go. And still call for help if needed.

The smart controller does a little better. But has far fewer things going on it of course.

Does the battery in your controller last through them all ?
I have 6 for both M2P and P4P especially for complicated inspections and weddings. No issues on either platform regarding the controller at all. My iPad can get a bit low but I have a Pro and Mini with me at all times just in case one has a problem.

My mavic controller uses about 10 percent per battery - I use the USB hub to an ipad mini2. I got three batteries out of the gate 14 months ago - thinking about adding one per year even though my batteries are still in good shape - 45 charges on each and still get 25 minutes flight time.
I have a Mavic Air, a Mavic Pro, and a Phantom 4 with a total of 8 batteries. On weekend mornings, I will often fly all 3 using all 8 batteries. I need my second battery for my Crystal Sky for all that flying. When I get home on a Saturday, I will recharge all 10 batteries plus my strobes to get ready for Sunday morning. That's quite a chore.

I have 4 batteries, but I also carry this on trips where I anticipate more flying.
It allows you to use the regular AC charger while out in the field. I bring it when hiking, backpacking, camping, etc.

Even on trips where I am near my car it is useful since I don't need to keep the car battery on at night to recharge.

Haven't tested how many dji mavic 2 batteries it can charge before 100 -> 0 but it is a 27000mAh power bank.

View attachment 81107

Amazon.com: AC Outlet Portable Charger RAVPower 27000mAh Power Bank 85W(100W Max) Built In 3-Prong Laptop Travel Charger ( Type-C Port, Dual USB iSmart Ports, AC Power Indicator)[Updated Version]: Gateway
Any approximate time it takes to charge an M2 battery from say 35% to 100%?

I have 5. Three came with my Air in the flymore bundle, and I bought two more. I am still learning how to fly this thing, and find myself going through all 5 in one session. My controller easily handles that much time, as does my Mini-iPad 4. I also bought a couple of used Mavic Air chargers that I can plug into the inverter I installed in my Chevy Volt, to simultaneously charge the batteries as I use them. That should increase potential flying time considerably.

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
As an engineer, I always do calculations. Based on those calculations, I see no need for more than three, assuming you have a way to charge the batteries.

This is how I arrived at that conclusion.

1. For my Mavice 2 Pro it takes 90 minutes to charge a "fully discharged" (20%) battery. In my flying, I almost never fly much beyond 30% remaining. From that state, it only takes only an hour to get back up to 100%

2. I plan my flights, so after I land, I take at least ten minutes before I take off again.

3. My flights usually last about fifteen minutes.

So, after my first flight, I put the battery on the charger. Twenty-five minutes later, I start my next flight with battery number two. Then twenty-five minutes after that I start my third flight with battery number three. The first battery is almost charged by that time.

I guess if I wanted to make sure I absolutely positively never had to wait, I'd get four.

Of course if you don't have a way to charge while in the field, you'll have to do a different calculation.

As a check on this, I use to borrow a friend's drone. He had five batteries, and it was complete overkill. We never got even close to needing that many.

P.S. My controller runs down much faster than what other people have posted, and after three flights, it gets pretty low. I could probably make 1-2 more flights (total of 4-5), but I don't like getting too close to the edge. So, another calculation is to determine how long it will be before your controller needs charging. You don't need more batteries than that time.

Reactions: rainystateguy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S