DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you do compass calibration before take off?

mavic6611

Reactions
I'm interested to know if you do compass calibration before every take off or not.

Pro's/Cons?

What's your take on it?!

I've heard calibration helps towards prevention of fly aways?

Get a good calibration & leave it alone, I calibrated, in a huge, open field about 7 months ago, flying perfectly.
On the weekend I went to a new site, approximately 75-80 miles from my home location, no calibration warnings & again, flew perfectly. The people who calibrate before every flight take the chance of getting a bad one.
Get a good calibration & leave your bird be!!

No, only if the app says it needs it, which has only happened once to me when trying to take off from concrete with a lot of rebar.

I've flown in NY and CA and not done any calibration.

Reactions: DonLandis and Wingo
never done compass calibration since the first time (4 months ago)
Always look at the first screen to see if compass calibration is needed, as long as it is written "normal" I do nothing

Only done it once - flown in multiple parts of the country since then no problems.

I did when it was new and every time I upgrade FW. Then I went from home in Alabama to the top of a mountain in WV - did not have a warning but when it was hovering, it wandered 3-4 feet in every direction - very unstable. I did a calibration and it flew perfectly. So now I do it anytime I go out of state.

I did yesterday before a flight, but I'm fairly new to the mavic.
Is there a compass on the app I did not see so I know the way I'm going?

Reactions: Ping^Spike
As I had to send a verification vídeo to have the Dji Refresh Plan, I had a lot of failed attempts to film it, my compass had to be calibrated some times (3 to 4x) because it is one of the things they request on the vídeo.
After that I've travelled to London and I was prompted to calibrate the compass on the first flight there...I did not notice that there was magnetic interference...
On the second flight I was prompted again to calibrate...
Today (already back home) i started the MAVIC and no prompt to calibrate...all was fine.

Give some thought to your local geography. There's lots of iron ore in Minnesota, and magnetic lines vary considerably, perhaps because of the iron. If I fly a substantial distance from my home, I'll perhaps recalibrate. Your location(s) may benefit from it. Always wait for GPS satellites, launch, wait, rise up 10 meters (like the manual says to) and see if it holds steady. If it drifts you might try recalibrating to see if that helps. If it doesn't there's a joystick calibration that may help. Do not launch where there is steel, like hidden rebar in concrete, underground iron pipe etc. It seems that those are causes for problems. I hear folks in hi-rises will launch from their balconies. I wonder about iron in the building and railing and what that may do with their RTH ability. Many trouble reports aren't telling much background that could have impact on their situation so always wonder what really caused their issue. If there's doubt, I don't think you'll hurt anything recalibrating carefully. I seldom do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+