DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many times can I fold my Mavic?

mattitech07

Reactions
Hi guys I just bought my mavic air 2. It is really great for the fact it folds, but I read on the internet that you can fold your mavic around 5k times before the mecanism gets defective or even break. So now im scared to fold it too many times. Looks like DJi didnt tell about this but i saw it on a forum

Just keep it unfolded then.
If you fold it up 3 times a day, it will be 5 years before you reach the 5k milestone, the drone will be obsolete and worthless well before then. ;)

the arms are designed to fold unfold many, many times and of course it is something that needs to be done with care,its all part of looking after your drone there is no set life span

Hi guys I just bought my mavic air 2. It is really great for the fact it folds, but I read on the internet that you can fold your mavic around 5k times before the mecanism gets defective or even break. So now im scared to fold it too many times. Looks like DJi didnt tell about this but i saw it on a forum

We have concluded that the real problem with the Legs is not the folding or unfolding but the compression from putting the drone into the cases which are very tight.
After just a fairly short time frame the legs can loosen up some , and this can be a problem.

One of the added and Unexpected Benefits of the Wet Suits is that they protect the Legs from Compressing and thus protect the Legs of the Drones..

The Wet Suit stops the legs from going beyond that Compression Point.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water .

Only fold your drone when necessary. At home I am sure that you don't need to fold it. Most times out in the car it probably is not necessary to fold it. I put mine in the boot/trunk of the car unfolded. Only when going on a hike somewhere do I fold my drone. This way you needn't worry unnecessarily about how long it will last because it will be a long long time!

There's a limit to everything. For myself, the best way to keep the drone from damage it to fold it. I do it after nearly every flight. I like the flymore bag.
the compression from putting the drone into the cases which are very tight.
After just a fairly short time frame the legs can loosen up some , and this can be a problem.

As stated above, the folding can be done so many times that you probably will never see the parts wearing out, really it's a non issue, but you would have more chance of damaging your Mavic by constantly folding it and unfolding it, adding some unnecessary force where it's not supposed to be. Just leave it open, unless it needs to be folded.

Last edited:
My Legs (mostly my knees) - are kind of wobbly after 66 years of folding and unfolding it kind of goes with the territory - part of getting older... ?‍♂️

Maybe you should go buy a wet suit then and see how that helps your knees ;-), I'm not quite at your vintage but have already purchased mine. At the moment I am using for SCUBA Diving, but hey, now it has a use when I am too old to dive anymore.

Maybe you should go buy a wet suit then and see how that helps your knees ;-), I'm not quite at your vintage but have already purchased mine. At the moment I am using for SCUBA Diving, but hey, now it has a use when I am too old to dive anymore.
A good keen man is never too old to dive ........ ?

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted Member 997
A good keen man is never too old to dive ........ ?
Cheers Mark. This Forum is a great place to use your heli experience to offer suggestions and guidance to drone fliers from a pilot’s perspective. You may find a much better reception, acceptance and participation if the posts are more encouraging and describe the visual difficulties for manned aircraft flight crew. I am looking at adding Firehouse strobes on to my new Mavic Air 2, just to make them more visible. I would like to think that all drone pilots here would appreciate positive inputs that don’t really need to refer to age related behaviour. I have seen some pretty stupid videos circulated by young and older drone pilots. This Forum is the perfect place to help educate people, on the whole package when flying a drone. Technical, environmental, cinematic - and for heaps of fun! ?

Cheers Mark. This Forum is a great place to use your heli experience to offer suggestions and guidance to drone fliers from a pilot’s perspective. You may find a much better reception, acceptance and participation if the posts are more encouraging and describe the visual difficulties for manned aircraft flight crew. I am looking at adding Firehouse strobes on to my new Mavic Air 2, just to make them more visible. I would like to think that all drone pilots here would appreciate positive inputs that don’t really need to refer to age related behaviour. I have seen some pretty stupid videos circulated by young and older drone pilots. This Forum is the perfect place to help educate people, on the whole package when flying a drone. Technical, environmental, cinematic - and for heaps of fun! ?
Absolutely David! My apologies if I offended you!

Absolutely David! My apologies if I offended you!
No problem Mark. I just noticed that you joined on the 18th. This Forum is a great place for people flying drones to meet and I certainly would welcome your input from a pilot’s side. I did about 40 hours towards a PPL in Cessnas in NZ back in 1978 before I went back to Uni and couldn’t afford it any longer and I can still recall the adrenalin rush of my first solo flight. Since starting with Air 2 flights in May, I am very aware of flight hazards - all sorts. My Cessna training helped. In NZ, we do not have the DJI screen feature that shows manned aircraft in the vicinity of the drone. Nice to have, but it means we have to be extra careful. Welcome to the Forum. And add your experience and suggestions. You will get good input here.?

No problem Mark. I just noticed that you joined on the 18th. This Forum is a great place for people flying drones to meet and I certainly would welcome your input from a pilot’s side. I did about 40 hours towards a PPL in Cessnas in NZ back in 1978 before I went back to Uni and couldn’t afford it any longer and I can still recall the adrenalin rush of my first solo flight. Since starting with Air 2 flights in May, I am very aware of flight hazards - all sorts. My Cessna training helped. In NZ, we do not have the DJI screen feature that shows manned aircraft in the vicinity of the drone. Nice to have, but it means we have to be extra careful. Welcome to the Forum. And add your experience and suggestions. You will get good input here.?
Thanks David, I'll give you the best I have!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N