DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many times have you crashed your Mavic so far? (POLL)

Did you ever crash your Mavic? Did you have to use DJI Refresh?

• Nope, I'm awesome.

Votes: 311 61.3%
  • Just once so far

Votes: 109 21.5%
  • Twice

Votes: 53 10.5%
  • More than 3 times

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • Still haven't used DJI Care Refresh

Votes: 85 16.8%
  • I've used the first replacement

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • I used my second replacement

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I don't have DJI Care Refresh

Votes: 126 24.9%

• Total voters

Cyberpower678

Reactions
It's never fun to crash your jem, and it's even harder to admit as an experienced pilot. I'll admit, I crashed my Mavic once, but I was lucky to have it then nose dive into a snow bank. Feel free to share your story. Mine was because I was so cold I pulled the elevator down instead of the throttle trying to land fast and my Mavic obediently backed into a tree and busted all 4 props.

This poll has two questions. Please pick the appropriate two answers.

Just once trying to fly indoors in atti with just the controller and no phone. I was surprised to have almost no control, It behaved awfully. Props clipped a bookcase as I literally had to put my foot down on top of it to force it to the ground. 2 broken props.

Reactions: alex2987
Once my fault when I was jacking with my rottweilers in the back yard going sideways and hit low limb that blending in with my neighbors roof to keep me from seeing it.

Then on the second time I was doing a downward funnel and the stupid emergency kill function on the sticks cut off my power and it fell like a rock. Yes, I know you can turn that setting off but I did a firmware update and it reset it back to the stupid function that SHOULD not be on the sticks and should have it's own button like maybe holding the pause button down for 3 seconds.

My one crash was indoors too. Going in and out of GPS and into atti resulted in lack of control and luckily only one broken prop.

Reactions: ElJefe and alex2987
When I upgraded to .500, I didn't check the RTH height, and it got reset.....so when I flew behind too many trees, it lost signal and crashed right into them. I'm a firm believer of going through all your settings after each and every upgrade....

Just once so far - practicing circular shots around a tree, didn't pay attention on what I was doing & went into the top of a 30ft tree. Surprisingly no lasting damage, just a set of new props... horrible feeling though - Definitely an experience I have tried to learn from!

Nope, Never even had a close one !, (that includes the other 3 DJI Drones as well)
May be I am toooo cautious when flying.
Must not speak to loud, my day may yet come !!

Reactions: anhtu402
Nope, Never even had a close one !, (that includes the other 3 DJI Drones as well)
May be I am toooo cautious when flying.
Must not speak to loud, my day may yet come !!
Your day will be tomorrow and sometime during 2017. ;-)

All i'll say is ALL my props are still originals, with not so much as a mark on them.
I have an "anti-bug don't come near me" coating on them !!.
To be fair I do clean the drones meticulously after each flight.

Your day will be tomorrow and sometime during 2017. ;-)

I dunno. Not only have I never crashed. I don't even see how it is possible to have a pilot error type crash with a Mavic. I've flown RC helicopters, RC airplanes, and simple inexpensive quadcopters, but the Mavic is by far the most "dummy-proof" aircraft I have ever flown. The only explanation I have for all the reported Mavic crashes is that it's so easy to fly that people get overconfident and try to push the limits in seeing what they can get away with.

I dunno. Not only have I never crashed. I don't even see how it is possible to have a pilot error type crash with a Mavic. I've flown RC helicopters, RC airplanes, and simple inexpensive quadcopters, but the Mavic is by far the most "dummy-proof" aircraft I have ever flown. The only explanation I have for all the reported Mavic crashes is that it's so easy to fly that people get overconfident and try to push the limits in seeing what they can get away with.
I completely agree, unless you have a faulty unit these things are quite hard to crash if you don't go crazy and push the limits. They take off and land softly, if you avoid trees, powerlines etc whilst up in the air and never have to rely on the safety features to arrive home safely you should not have too many issues. Obviously the unknown and unexpected like a bird strike etc can always happen however unlikely.

If you read my original post, mine wasn't from inexperience, but loss of focus.

If you read my original post, mine wasn't from inexperience, but loss of focus.

I didn't make any distinction between crashes due to loss of focus and crashes due to inexperience. The only distinction I made was crashes due to pilot errors and crashes due to other causes.

I didn't make any distinction between crashes due to loss of focus and crashes due to inexperience. The only distinction I made was crashes due to pilot errors and crashes due to other causes.
True, but you did mention overconfidence which goes in hand with experience, or lack of it. I wasn't over confident when piloted my drone into a bunch of tree branches, but rather so cold that my fingers became numb that I was rushing to bring the drone back down to call it a day that I ended up pulling the wrong stick down. Lesson learned, don't fly when it's cold.

1 Minor crashed,no props broken only scratches and still using same set prop till today.
Was trying a 3 yrs old Samsung Tab w/ 4.x FW ,GPS was acquired prior to take off indoor,
went side ways and hit the wall @ ft and half alt and crashed on carpet floor.
Threw that Tab after that, now using Samsung J7 w/ FW 6.0.1 and it's all good.

Reactions: MLR
I haven't crashed my Mavic although I'm still extremely cautious with it and only fly it within VLOS and in big open areas where there's not really anything for it to crash into.

John

Reactions: Ceejay
Well as my friends and I have always said there are 2 types of pilots. Ones that have crashed and ones that will ;)

Yep it's only a matter of time. Your can only hope that when it happens it's minor and no damage occurs.
I have had a close call flying between trees and I still fly between them to get certain shots but I know one day I may clip a branch.

Rob

Not a crash, per se, but a hard landing. I was practicing hand catching, in case I would ever need it on a hike or something. Turned of VPS to use that catching technique. Next day, forgot to turn VPS back on. Came down to land and it didn't slow down much and landed kinda hard, causing the back props to just nick the pavement and cause small chipping on the props. Now I know that turning off Landing Protection is better than turning off VPS for my catching technique.

Reactions: montanacurt
My one and only crash happened in front of my house. I got a little too comfortable with sport mode a few days after getting the Mavic. I was doing some passes to and from me.

On the last one, coming at me, I came in hot and undercompensated the braking distance. Hit some small trees I have on my property. Leaves went flying everywhere as if I was weed whacking them. Mavic tumbled down pretty quickly. Thankfully it landed in some short bushes, softening the landing. Ended up with three broken props and a few small scratches from the tree branches. I'm glad the branches didn't get into the gimbal and destroy it.

I'm not going to lie, it freaked me out. Especially watching what seemed like a violent impact with a tree. The leaves flew everywhere!!! And I learned my lesson, be very careful especially in sport mode around stuff.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas