DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much prop damage is TOO much?

DBT_Drone

Reactions
I know its kinda subjective, but how much damage to the props can occur before you should replace the prop, Reason I ask is, I landed slightly
off the landing pad with my M2P today and two props scraped the ground and a small shrub. (I kinda panicked and forced a landing when I should have
just adjusted the drone a foot or so to the pad........it caught a gust of wind just before it was to land). Anyway, two props have slightly even
noticeable scrapes and nicks........you wouldn't know it unless you ran your finger over it. Replace or keep flying with them???? Thanks!

Reactions: Droniac
@DBT_Drone personally i would change them, is it really worth the risk that they could fail while you are flying

I would probably say 'any' is too much but if it is purely aesthetic on the plastic only I'd probably use them. They are cheap enough that changing them is probably a good idea if any doubt exists at all.

I think the decision to changes props is a combination of your assessment of how bad they are in terms of aerodynamics. All the edges have to allow the air to go over them smoothly and consistently. I would have to believe the leading edges are the most critical. But they are air foils and getting all 8 prop sections to handle air equally will create maximum stability. Sometimes scratches or small dings can be buffed out as long as you don't change the geometry. I think one way to see if there is any problem is put your drone in hover and see how stable it is. If it fights position then it's time to change the props. If rock solid you're probably ok. M2 props are certainly not as fragile as Mini/Mini 2 props where any change in them can cause instability.

Little scuffs and scrapes are hardly a concern, don’t know why you would change them out for that. Once you start getting cracks and chips out of them then it’s time. If the tips break off then it’s definitely time. It’s up to you though.

Reactions: Bchris and Droniac
My personal criteria, if it's cosmetic, okay. Any physical damage, like nicks, exchange them. A nick in the material is exactly where a major failure of the prop would propagate from if it is ever subjected to a stress event in the future. (ie. another strike against an object)

This is one of the most subjective decisions/discussions that come up in the drone world, so I wonder myself given that I'm still on my first set of props.
I think the bottom line is: is it worth losing an expensive drone over a cheap prop? Extra props are also in the "good to have and not need, than need and not have" category...so I bought a couple of extra sets up front.

So there is no generic lifespan in flying hours to determine the need to change? Assuming no accidents or mishaps took place?
Not that I'm aware of. But the longer the props have been in service, the more closely and often I would examine them.

Here is the reality you wake up to find your Cat has chewed the heck out of all 4 props and now you have to decide do you fly or wait until the new ones come. This is where the decision is to be made and I have always made the decision to fly if it gets off the ground and have had no problems . There are videos of Props being cut with Scissors and still running so a few holes and , chips and slobber is not problem if flying in a protected area.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

I know its kinda subjective, but how much damage to the props can occur before you should replace the prop,

Another thing to think about is the damage, if any, to the center hub and the pins / screws that secure the prop to the hub assembly.

Anyway, here's my spare prop case...

20201112_145828.jpg

Hysterical ?

Reactions: MA2 317
Crying. I have cats and seemingly jump at the chance to paw-spin a prop any chance they get. ?

Reactions: MA2 317
@DBT_Drone i would change all 4 and keep the front ones as back up ,that way you know the no of flights is the same for all of them if you fit at the same time

Reactions: Cymruflyer
when in doubt, swap them out! if you have enough doubt to make you want to post, you may have answered your own question.

Reactions: old man mavic
Props probably go through more stress every flight than any other part on the drone. A light surface scrape may well be no problem. A nick is worse, a hole, as has been suggested (as still being okay) is something never to fly with.

What you can't see is a possible hairline crack that started. I'm not saying yours has this, but that is the sort of damage you can't see without a microscope. And that is what will begin to split as the prop suffers vibration and stress during flight.

A prop strike may have caused a tiny fracture that your eye can not see and during the stresses of flight and throttle inputs that could propagate and turn into a crack that will break a piece off. In flying real aircraft in questionable weather, we say it is better to be on the ground, wishing you were up there, than being up there, wishing you were on the ground.

So with the cost of your drone upper most in your mind, if something were to go wrong with a prop in flight and I could freeze time and ask you this question, just before it tumbled out of the sky and smashed to the ground, "would you like to give me $30 dollars to stop this right now, or would you just prefer to buy a new drone?", what might your answer be?

I'm guessing you would rather go with the $30 cost. So, I'll just ask you now, what value do you put on your drone? If it is less than $30 then keep flying with those props. If it is more than that, then just buy a set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett