DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much should I charge to fly at a concert?

ACE001

Reactions
I was asked to fly during a concert to capture marketing footage of the venue and am curious what folks would charge to do this.
It's an outdoor concert on commercial property between 7:30pm - 10:30pm
I'll need an assistant with me for spotting/emergencies/crowd control. It's a 2-hour drive to the location.
Assuming I'm able to stay within the FAA regs for this, how much should I charge? Thanks

Travel and work time, the insurance costs (3rd party and unhappy customer), fuel costs. That's going to add up to a fair bit I expect.
What's the total available flight time with your batteries and what's the recharge time on site with the equipment you will have with you?

Reactions: ACE001
I have 5 batteries, about 20 minutes each in fair weather (Mavic Pro 2). I don't see a need to film the entire concert but rather get some good solid pre-shots, key shots, and B-roll. I can charge 2 batts at once, so I could get what's needed. I'm just not sure how to calculate my rate, considering the risk involved. Rates seem all over the place. If I add up basic costs, insurance, fuel, paying my assistant, skill, planning, etc.
Thoughts?

I have 5 batteries, about 20 minutes each in fair weather (Mavic Pro 2). I don't see a need to film the entire concert but rather get some good solid pre-shots, key shots, and B-roll. I can charge 2 batts at once, so I could get what's needed. I'm just not sure how to calculate my rate, considering the risk involved. Rates seem all over the place. If I add up basic costs, insurance, fuel, paying my assistant, skill, planning, etc.
Thoughts?
Add up all that then charge a 30-40% margin mark up. That is about how I would go about it but that's just me.

Reactions: ACE001
Add up all that then charge a 30-40% margin mark up. That is about how I would go about it but that's just me.
30-40% is way too low. Considering fed, state and SS taxes will eat up 25-35% or more of that amount, the profit would be minimal. If it was me I'd charge no less then 100% over costs or no less then $100/hr for all your labor (including planning, setting up insurance, etc) plus $50 hour for your helper (remember, your insurance has to cover them, also food, water, etc).

Because you have not answered the '107' question and because you do not know what to charge, I assume you are not an FAA licensed part 107 pilot. If that is true - DO NOT FLY THE EVENT.
"Anyone flying a drone for commercial purposes — that is, not operating solely for recreation or hobby purposes — must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA to be certified to fly under Part 107. Flying commercial drone operations without certification can result in civil penalties with significant fines."

Reactions: Jersey Johnny
With all due respect, if you are going to fly on a commercial basis, you need a simple business plan that will define ALL of your costs AND what you will charge for prep time, windshield time (i.e., travel time), anticipated overhead costs (e.g., insurance, equipment prorated recoup costs, etc.), professional time on site and video editing, and of course, your desired profit margin. Asking forum members is NOT a sure strategy for success, so go do your homework first. After you get a few jobs, then you can go back and adjust your business plan accordingly. Good luck.

We've all got to stop "racing to the bottom" pricing. Stop thinking of yourself as a hobbyist, and start thinking like a professional photographer, who is probably charging a minimum of $150-$300 hr, and for commercial purposes (since the footage will be used to promote the million dollar concert) a fee for copyright usage.
$1000 would be my minimum, and I'm not a high priced guy.

Even if you have insurance. Even if you have a "fly over people" waiver. And you'll be flying at night. To me, this sounds like a very hi-risk job. Let's even say they pay you $1,000. Is is worth the hassle if something goes wrong? How would you feel if your props lacerate the face of a child? I know all of these things are unlikely, but s***t happens. Just something to think about.

If you end up doing it, I'm sure we'd all like to hear back on how it went, what you learned, etc. Good luck!

Like any business, you must make money or get out! Pricing involves many factors (many have already been mentioned). Sounds like you are just starting out which means you may have to price lower than the competition to prove yourself and build a portfolio. At any rate, everyone has an opinion and will share what works for them and their location. These may or may not work for you. Whatever pricing you decide, make sure you have an agreed-upon signed contract. Your client needs to know what they're getting for their money as well as protecting yourself.

Fly Safe and good luck

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
I like Jersey Johnnys' price better than my previous post
I wouldn't do it for $1000....

OP, please make SURE you have more than ample liability ins... that's the biggest thing that could come back and bite you on the butt. Losing money on an ill-priced job is one thing, getting your rear end sued off is completely another. We live in a very litigious society these days...

Another idea: Go ahead and spend the money on a good contract lawyer? Check if there's a way to let the venue be aware of potential problems, and bear part of the liability?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Johnny
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61