DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How near to a communications tower is it safe to fly?

Skyroam

Reactions
I know you should keep away from power lines but is it safe to fly near. A communication tower. The type you see on most big hills?

YMMV

Reactions: SRJ_Mavic_PRO
IMG_7671.PNG I fly around them all the time without any issues. I am certified in tower climbing and rescue for a major cell phone company so I'm always near the tower.

Reactions: dirkclod
View attachment 16762 I fly around them all the time without any issues. I am certified in tower climbing and rescue for a major cell phone company so I'm always near the tower.
Great info. I've always been worried about what kind of RF these things put out and whether or not it might bleed out to the Mavic.
Now I won't worry as much about it. Thanks.

Reactions: Skyroam
The best answer is YMMV.

There's plenty of wireless internet providers out there that employ 2.4ghz that could impair or disrupt your link. RTH kicks in while you're under a guy wire or your RTH path takes you through the guys, you can write it off.

There's also some more advanced RF theory involving harmonics where a transmitter nowhere near 2.4ghz could kill your link with minimal effort.

Just stay farther away than the guy wires are wide, and you should be okay in a majority of instances. Otherwise, make it a point to know exactly what you're getting close to, and be prepared to suck it up and not cry here if you lose your bird.

I fly around them all the time without any issues. I am certified in tower climbing and rescue for a major cell phone company so I'm always near the tower.

Remember we're catering to the lowest common denominator here. A blind endorsement like that is like leaving the gate open hoping the cows are smart enough to avoid the cars on the highway. [emoji106]

I've flown over and around hundreds of towers, mono poles without issues. The OP asked how near is safe to fly so I'd say twenty to thirty feet. Now if he said I want to fly right next to it then I'd have a different response lol. Just leave room for error and don't get right in front of the microwave dishes or vertical antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6683.JPG
    IMG_6683.JPG
    725.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6996.JPG
    IMG_6996.JPG
    726.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Be wary you can fly as close as you want if your standing near the tower itself. Otherwise, just expect the signal to take a crap on you as you approach it. Thailand has some seriously high powered towers and I got 200m range before I lost signal, as an example.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007