DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do you update?

A.O.

Reactions
How often do most of you update whether its firmware or software? I know when I first got my MA2 in November 2020, I updated everything not knowing how long it might have been sitting in its box, so that's the baseline for my set up. Then I got an iPad mini for Christmas and when I loaded up the Fly app and got the latest (at that time) version, 1.2.2 I think, Well it eliminated the orientation indicator in favor of the attitude indicator which I am not a fan of nor do I use it (NOT wanting to start a conversation about that again!). So now I'm a little leery of doing any updates!!
So whats your thoughts on updates of all kinds... do you look for them, or hide from them, or wait and do what you are prompted to do? And why please
Thanks.

I've said it before, if it doesn't fix something that's broken or add a feature that I want, I skip it.

And even if it includes a feature that I want, I wait to see if it altered other functionality, like the attitude indicator, and decide if the new feature is better than the loss of the removed feature.

I'm still using Fly 1.1.10 and associated firmware because I like the old attitude indicator and there were some buggy releases that falsely indicated ATTI mode along with connection issues.

I will probably keep this setup unless some really great feature is added.

With over 1000 posts you’re not new to this discussion I’m sure, anyway:

I always update immediately , never had a problem and typically there are benefits, bug fixes other enhancements.
Make your own mind up but Don’t be put off by the naysayers, Why do you think they send out updates, it isn’t to piss everyone off???

look at recent posts about the mini 2, many raise issues about atti mode, non level horizon, drifting, lack of features eg waypoints, recent updates address some of these and eg add selection options to the function button.
If you don’t update, you don’t get these.
If your flying is so fixed and your drone does ‘exactly what you want’ then perhaps then don’t update, but I still don’t know why not ??

Reactions: jencarta and Dbez1
Right now the Firmware Vol 1.01.0610 has failed 10 times already stuck at 41% so far using just the SC.
UGH.

I have been in tech support for so long that I get use to "Roll back" some driver or update.
I usually wait or read what the update is going to do before I do it.
Usually just wait until I hear if there is a problem and then do it.
Most of the time it is a month later.

I usually update when the fear and panic over the new update begins to subside.

HA!! Sounds like my U-Tube upload

So hooked up to the Assistant 2 go to 99% waited another 5 minutes before 100% than restarted 3 times, than the SD card Window on windows 10 Popped up and than I knew the DJI Drama Update was done. Never easy always guessing and almost disconnected to soon thinking it was done, Its tricky , and my least favorite thing to have to do.

But Now we Celebrate its over. ?
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2 in the Rain / Snow

Reactions: A.O.
I always update here´s way!
According to my EU license, in Germany, and my insurance the most current soft- and firmware are required. DJI is keen on flight-safety, geo-restrictions etc etc in order to keep the aviation authorities all over the world as ´happy´ as possible.
Let us be honest and responsible pilots and bear that in mind. Flying with that in mind we can maintain our hobby through the years to come. Otherwise more restrictions will be enforced and ruining a nice hobby. In the event of an unfortunate accident you never can defend flying around with not up to date gear.

I always update here´s way!
According to my EU license, in Germany, and my insurance the most current soft- and firmware are required. DJI is keen on flight-safety, geo-restrictions etc etc in order to keep the aviation authorities all over the world as ´happy´ as possible.
Let us be honest and responsible pilots and bear that in mind. Flying with that in mind we can maintain our hobby through the years to come. Otherwise more restrictions will be enforced and ruining a nice hobby. In the event of an unfortunate accident you never can defend flying around with not up to date gear.
That is something that is not required in the US..

All I can say is the latest Fly App release fixed the 90° out heading indicator that you hate :p I flew my P3P for 3 years without updating anything though after initial bugs were worked out...I could still turn the GEO system off as DJI were just implementing the new system that is now mandatory ;)

Of note in the past when you got out of sequence with firmware or App software things didn't jive and work..So if your gonna stay old school, make sure NOTHING updates :)

Reactions: A.O.
All I can say is the latest Fly App release fixed the 90° out heading indicator that you hate :p I flew my P3P for 3 years without updating anything though after initial bugs were worked out...I could still turn the GEO system off as DJI were just implementing the new system that is now mandatory ;)

Of note in the past when you got out of sequence with firmware or App software things didn't jive and work..So if your gonna stay old school, make sure NOTHING updates :)
It doesn't bother me a bit!! I never use it... no point!:p

And good point on that last part.

And as far as your next post, that could be with the 107 I don't know.

I haven't "updated" my MP Gen I flymore kit since I cracked the boxes and activated it.
almost 3 years, and no hiccups, flies as advertised....
Nothing like a "factory flash".......

Reactions: okw and Thomas B
How often do most of you update whether its firmware or software? I know when I first got my MA2 in November 2020, I updated everything not knowing how long it might have been sitting in its box, so that's the baseline for my set up. Then I got an iPad mini for Christmas and when I loaded up the Fly app and got the latest (at that time) version, 1.2.2 I think, Well it eliminated the orientation indicator in favor of the attitude indicator which I am not a fan of nor do I use it (NOT wanting to start a conversation about that again!). So now I'm a little leery of doing any updates!!
So whats your thoughts on updates of all kinds... do you look for them, or hide from them, or wait and do what you are prompted to do? And why please
Thanks.
I have always updated when prompted to do so, and have never had any problems.

Reactions: ICHOTT
Short answer: NEVER!
bit more elaborate: when new in 2017 everytime a new update was announced.
Since I noticed a lot of software restrictions never again.
Before start up I switch on the airplane mode on the phone.

Ruud

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut