DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often should you change Props?

3rd party v oem is a debate which will never end.

As to how often? Some people like to change them every 12 months or so assuming the last that long.

I check them before every flight and if they’re not damaged they stay on. If I get to 24 months on a set I may decide to change them as a precaution.

I'm with you Danny and I only change mine if I have put a chip on one or whatever.
I did when checking a few weeks ago took one by the end and flexed it back and forth and noticed
one had a small crack you couldn't see unless you did that and no clue how long I had been flying with it.
I also if I change one for whatever reason I change them all . Might not need to but is what I do .

have you tried a search ?

Hey Rick, I do agree with you that people should try researching before posting their questions on here. There are some topics that are better than others when it comes to information. The OP was simply looking for peoples opinions on what they recommend. This is a forum where people should be welcome to ask questions like this. I asked a question earlier about the pros and cons of APAS - I have researched this topic for hours and was unable to find much information. Was I wrong for posting the question on here to get peoples opinions?

Hey Rick, I do agree with you that people should try researching before posting their questions on here. There are some topics that are better than others when it comes to information. The OP was simply looking for peoples opinions on what they recommend. This is a forum where people should be welcome to ask questions like this. I asked a question earlier about the pros and cons of APAS - I have researched this topic for hours and was unable to find much information. Was I wrong for posting the question on here to get peoples opinions?
As far as what you searched for you must not have used our search as there are many in it, here's one
APAS system - useful?
Now please don't call no one out in a thread as it turns the thread .
Thanks

Well most would have found it but the OP was just promoting his channel with that video .
You have seen him nick but enough of this it's here so just let it run it's course like the rest of the threads .

I do a pre-flight check and if there's any cracks or nicks, I replace them. Otherwise, I do not.
As for non-OEM, I bought a set once, put them on and spun them up to take off. The AC shook so bad, I quickly shut down and put OEM ones back on. I will never do that again, you don't save enough to be worth messing up your drone.

Reactions: sea157
Too funny I was just thinking about this. Weakness in the tabs, the guy in Tampa lost his mp due to one prop. They are not to last forever.

3rd party v oem is a debate which will never end.

As to how often? Some people like to change them every 12 months or so assuming the last that long.

I check them before every flight and if they’re not damaged they stay on. If I get to 24 months on a set I may decide to change them as a precaution.
As you stated propellers should be a huge part of the preflight checklist and I check mine for tightness and any other damage prior to each and every flight!! I mean it’s probably the single most important part of the drone (other than motors, camera, compass, IMU, batteries, etc. :)).

Funny you are talking about this...i flew a couple of days ago and i had a prop problem...i never really got the hang of putting the props on...i wish that they would lock in better (i am sure most of you have no problem with it but i never got the feel for locking them in) I started to take off and in a second the copter flips upside down will all of the lights blinking...i saw that a prop was missing and i searched the field for several minutes more than once and came up short...luckily i had a few extra props and found the correct one to replace...it was like looking for a needle in a haystack of heavily trodden astro turf...will need to get more AND make sure that i am positive that the props are secured well...Thanks All...Martin

I run a pair of Master Air Screw orange props on my MPP but I always keep the gold tip and silver tip OEM props in my case if I was to need them. I have to admit I never considered changing props unless there was damage. Thanks to the OP for making me think about changing them every so often. One of the things I love about this forum. EDUCATION for us newbies.

Why would one not check the propeller during a preflight, heck even any proper aircraft pilot would check the leading edge of the props
I am a hobbyist. So I replace as needed. This drone is new to me only been out a couple three or four times, already replaced one prop, it was damaged. ( no I hit nothing).

But how much is your drone worth to you? Worth a couple sets of props?

Reactions: clovis09
Why would one not check the propeller during a preflight, heck even any proper aircraft pilot would check the leading edge of the props
I am a hobbyist. So I replace as needed. This drone is new to me only been out a couple three or four times, already replaced one prop, it was damaged. ( no I hit nothing).

But how much is your drone worth to you? Worth a couple sets of props?
Sorry if my post came out wrong. I will buy new props in a heartbeat. Checking them is part of my pre-flight regiment.

No problem, I also ment nothing wrong,
I believe there are no dumb questions.
For my posting it more a statement then anything else.
In many things I do, some items are just throwaway. Use only once sometimes.
Having a couple set of new props handy, to me is just insurance. I spend more on mantanece than most do on repairs ( not just drones).

Wonder how many of” I do not know what happened, it just fell out of the sky”? were caused by a torn prop.
I do see many props loaded onto small trucks, on there way to be rebuilt, or on the way back to a aircraft.

Great thread! As a Mavic NOOB, I have never thought of checking the props before taking off. Now I will!! Kind of a no-brainer.

No problem, I also ment nothing wrong,
I believe there are no dumb questions.
For my posting it more a statement then anything else.
In many things I do, some items are just throwaway. Use only once sometimes.
Having a couple set of new props handy, to me is just insurance. I spend more on mantanece than most do on repairs ( not just drones).

Wonder how many of” I do not know what happened, it just fell out of the sky”? were caused by a torn prop.
I do see many props loaded onto small trucks, on there way to be rebuilt, or on the way back to a aircraft.

I had a torn prop - literally a fair rip from the trailing edge and about half the depth of the blade.

Now sure not much energy goes through the little props of an MA but I sure wasn’t going to fly with it. Could have ended very badly.

lots of things are "just not thought about" but as to the prop.
how fast is it moving at as in mph, not rpm. how fast would you want a ping-pall ball to hit you? as fast as the avg person can toss it? or 100 mph? at toss speed it is nothing. but same little ball at 100 mph can kill you. now think about that leading edge of a prop. any little bug (blade of grass {and grass is very sharp/rough at speed}, etc) hitting it can cause big damage. maybe not seen by your eyes. but after another hour or just 10 min. the damage can cause a rip in the blade. now you have a oop$.
your fingers are very sensitive so can feel very very tiny changes in that leading edge.

and no i am not a guru, or any such. nore did i sleep in a motel last night. heck i have not even had breakfast yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada