DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How precise is your RTH?

Chris_B

Reactions
Hi guys,

I recently got my MP2P (actually 4 days ago) and **** it's neat!

I've been flying a lot and have noticed when ever I make it RTH it's not precise at all. It tries to land 3-7 meters away from the spot it took off from.

My concern comes from all the videoes I saw on youtube where it's almost spot on - I'm not sure if I done anything wrong in the settings but I'm curious! :)Thumbswayup

Have fun guys!

In that case, use the auto take off.. let it hover for a few seconds before zooming off... during that time it'll update the home point and take a pic of your takeoff point to use for PL.
Recommend 4-10 feet for this. Only takes a few seconds. Landing should then be within a couple of inches of TO point.

In that case, use the auto take off.. let it hover for a few seconds before zooming off... during that time it'll update the home point and take a pic of your takeoff point to use for PL.
Recommend 4-10 feet for this. Only takes a few seconds. Landing should then be within a couple of inches of TO point.
Okay cool - but as the guide Rangemaster sent - I don't have the option to enable nor disable it? Is this all automatic then?

Okay cool - but as the guide Rangemaster sent - I don't have the option to enable nor disable it? Is this all automatic then?
Don’t know the guide, but yes, registration of the TO spot for use as landing area is automatic if you just give it the coupl of seconds required to register/record it.

You don't even have to pause, just fly straight up at least 10' before flying out. Pausing would help though.

If you aren't launching from something distinct on the ground, then there's nothing for PL to visually home in on. Example: launching from field of grass or unmarked black top parking area might not work. That's where a landing pad comes in handy.

You don't even have to pause, just fly straight up at least 10' before flying out. Pausing would help though.

If you aren't launching from something distinct on the ground, then there's nothing for PL to visually home in on. Example: launching from field of grass or unmarked black top parking area might not work. That's where a landing pad comes in handy.
In my practice area I TO from unmarked blacktop...No problems with getting precision landing.

As others have mentioned, as long as you are on one of the latest firmware versions, you don't need to do anything special other than launch straight up before moving horizontally. The manual specifies 7m (just over 21ft), but many have found it works even without going quite that high. Here is the bit from the manual:

M2 Precision Landing.png

Reactions: jmsayles and Gindra
Thanks everyone - I managed to get it working by flying up a few meters and wait - also the apps tells me when it updated PL.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Gindra
You don't need to wait.
Just climb vertically 6m or so after takeoff before moving the drone is enough.

Hi guys,

I've been flying a lot and have noticed when ever I make it RTH it's not precise at all. It tries to land 3-7 meters away from the spot it took off from.

My concern comes from all the videoes I saw on youtube where it's almost spot on - I'm not sure if I done anything wrong in the settings but I'm curious! :)Thumbswayup

Have fun guys!
It’s good practivpce to calibrate the compass before each flight. My M2P returns to within 1 m.

Hi guys,

Have fun guys!
it should be on point. I use a landing pad....

Reactions: Navig49
It’s good practivpce to calibrate the compass before each flight.
No, it isn't. Only do so when your GO4 instructs to do so.
I never calibrated my compass on my M2P or M2ED. Both aircraft landing on the launch pad within a few inches.

Totally agree ! Mavic has not missed the mat yet.

Reactions: Drgnfli
It’s good practivpce to calibrate the compass before each flight. My M2P returns to within 1 m.
No this is not good practice and bad advice....and guess what i don't ever calibrate my compass unless asked to or there is some serious anomaly .....(ive done it 5 times in the year i owned it) and my drone will land spot on everytime i fly!

I've M2Z and generally I took off vertically up to 25m, then move horizontally.

I always do RTH, as I enjoy its auto landing part. Most of the time RTH is accurate up to less than an inch and sometimes 100% accurate.

Thanks everyone - I managed to get it working by flying up a few meters and wait - also the apps tells me when it updated PL.

Happy flying!
Be sure to calibrate your compass before takeoff. Lift off to 30 pause and rotate 360 degrees, my drone lands spot on almost every time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair