DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How real is the fear of Fly Aways?

gjmphoto

Reactions
I'm a new flyer with an MPP since the middle of December. Given the weather in the NY area, I'm reading more than I'm flying. However, so far, all of my flights have been an absolute pleasure and I've experienced total control. I'm a photographer and I love the added dimension of aerial imagery.

But I'm reading here about all of these fly-aways! If I was to believe all that I've read, I'd have to anticipate that it's not a matter of IF I'll get a fly away, it's a matter of WHEN!

Is this true? Am I destined to lose my drone? Is there something I can do to mitigate the risk? I'd like to believe that if I don't fly in high winds, or near large metal structures, or anything else I can control, that I won't have to worry about the MPP failing to come back to me. I can't believe there'd be a market for $1000+ throw-aways.

I do have insurance (State Farm)...but that only protects me financially...it doesn't protect me from the anxiety each time I put it up in the air!

Is it really just a question of "when"?

Yes -- learn how to pilot your Mavic and know what to do when things don't go as expected.

Here are some must-read items for all Mavic owners:
Had already read all but the last and just read that one. Thanks for the links.

I did notice that you didn't actually answer my question :) Coming from Mavic Help, I read that as a warning sign. I'll do whatever I can ... but not having you say, "Your chances are minimal if you follow these rules", makes me a little suspect :) Stuff happens...but does stuff happen to the best of us? Have YOU ever had a fly-away?

I have no fear of them. I always make sure home point is recorded and know how to control drone when app crashes.
I avoid situations that cause them. Like ignoring warnings of compass abnormality or high interference.
Thanks. I don't ignore warning messages, so that makes me feel better.

I also use the Movario glasses and, before getting used to the track pad, closed the app in the middle of one of my early flights...and was able to control the MPP and get the app started and connected again without issues...so I guess I'm doing some things right.

Thanks again.

I'm a new flyer with an MPP since the middle of December. Given the weather in the NY area, I'm reading more than I'm flying. However, so far, all of my flights have been an absolute pleasure and I've experienced total control. I'm a photographer and I love the added dimension of aerial imagery.

But I'm reading here about all of these fly-aways! If I was to believe all that I've read, I'd have to anticipate that it's not a matter of IF I'll get a fly away, it's a matter of WHEN!

Is this true? Am I destined to lose my drone? Is there something I can do to mitigate the risk? I'd like to believe that if I don't fly in high winds, or near large metal structures, or anything else I can control, that I won't have to worry about the MPP failing to come back to me. I can't believe there'd be a market for $1000+ throw-aways.

I do have insurance (State Farm)...but that only protects me financially...it doesn't protect me from the anxiety each time I put it up in the air!

Is it really just a question of "when"?

Msinger has given you some good links to review.

Here are some basic tips to help you.
Disclaimer: Please read the manuals before flight and keep reading them.

1) Start the devices in the order stated on the DJI tutorials
2) Look at your surroundings before take off and don't place the drone on surfaces which could cover metal objects such as rebar
3) Allow the drone to warm up which also includes the IMU's
4) Check the phone or tablet to ensure that the DJI GO 4 application doesn't display any warnings
5) Check for GPS satellite coverage, how many are displayed in numeric form
6) Most importantly, check that your settings in the the software,such as RTH height and what happens if you have a disconnect between controller and drone, are to your liking
7) Finally, is the home point displayed correctly on the map display of the phone or tablet

Ensure all batteries are fully charged before flight.
Hope this helps.

I did notice that you didn't actually answer my question
Which question did I miss? :)

I'll do whatever I can ... but not having you say, "Your chances are minimal if you follow these rules", makes me a little suspect
The majority of fly aways are caused by pilot error. If you eliminate all possible pilot error, then you're only left with hardware issues that are out of your control. If you want to eliminate all possible pilot error, then you need to put in the time to understand how your Mavic works (and is supposed to work).

Also, doing things like keeping your Mavic within VLOS (a law in many countries), not flying in less than ideal weather conditions, and making sure everything is ready to go before taking off will help eliminate many potential problems.

Have YOU ever had a fly-away?
No.

Which question did I miss? :)
The one about "IF" vs. "WHEN"...but I got my answer from all of you now, and I'm actually MUCH more comfortable. I really love the whole experience and am desperately looking forward to nicer weather, so I can go out and fly whenever the moment hits me.

Like many others, I used to have "Flying Dreams", where I could zoom around in the air. Flying the drone, particularly with the glasses (in the ACE), is truly just like the dream.

Thanks all for your quick feedback and support! My next question will be more substantive, I'm sure!

A "flyaway" used to refer to equipment failure where a malfunction casues the thing to... fly away without you having any control over it or having the ability to mitigate it. That's very rare, but the problem is that people use it to describe any abnormal situation nowadays, even when fully caused by them like misjudging the winds aloft and failing to use any of the tools they have (reducing altitude, sport mode,...) to try and get out of their situation.

Almost every drone issue I see where the drone is lost is a result of pilot error, whether it's failure to set a proper RTH, failure to check their equipment, doing dumb things like flying under a bridge, etc. The exception to this is with the Phantom 4 batteries and with the sensors detecting the sun as an obstacle, which is a failure on DJI's part. Even then, you can turn off the sensors to prevent this RTH error.

The one about "IF" vs. "WHEN"
That's kind of like saying all car drivers are going to eventually crash (since lots of people crash their cars due to driver errors). So, when will you crash YOUR car? Maybe never if you know how to drive your car and you're careful.

Reactions: Cyril_G
We're already in agreement...based on everyone's responses here, we'll call it an"if" situation

That's kind of like saying all car drivers are going to eventually crash (since lots of people crash their cars due to driver errors). So, when will you crash YOUR car? Maybe never if you know how to drive your car and you're careful.
Yeah...but this is more like asking about sudden acceleration in Toyotas...remember that one?

Anyway.. I've got my answer and I'm happy with it...fly on!

Yeah...but this is more like asking about sudden acceleration in Toyotas...remember that one?

Anyway.. I've got my answer and I'm happy with it...fly on!

On the toyota acceleration thing, I owned one at the time. You know what the fix was? A little clip to hook the rubber floor mat to the carpet so it wouldnt slide up and press the gas. I think out of all the toyotas built with this "flaw" only 2 or 3 ended up reporting the "anomaly" I kind of have to say that could also be called User error.

The Fear is real, but the actuality of it happening is remote.
I think the fear is useful as it stops complacency.
Of all the Fly aways reported on this forum, I cannot recall any that were not pilot error.
There are several experts on this forum who analyse the data from a reported fly away and invariably it is pilot error, high wind(which is pilot error), or some other avoidable situation.
Enjoy your flying, stay alert and follow the guidance from posters earlier in thread and you will not lose your precious investment.

Reactions: MavicMoira
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots