DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How risky/feasible is to fly the Mavic 7 km away

avillax

Reactions
How doable or risky is to fly it 7km away above water, take video and bring it back?

See picture
puntamitads.jpg

I bet you could make it there, and get a few images. I would be concerned about having enough battery to make it back. Try some flights that long over land and see if you can do it.

Reactions: dewster
On a stock setup your not likely to make the round trip. At 7km your at the far limits of the range but it is possible. To do it with any degree of certainty you'd need to do battery mods to increase flight time, and do antennae mods that would give you more signal range.

Also note that the safety patrol on here will now follow regularly scheduled shaming session on why you shouldn't do this.

It's a one way trip, my friend.

1. I know they advertise 7km range, but they are hobbling the range with updates.
2. Wind.
3. Battery, won't make it back, see #1 and # 2 above.
4. When it goes down, it will be underwater, unretrieveable. So much for Care/Refresh. At least over land, you have a chance of getting it back....
5. IF you had someone waiting for it at your destination to retrieve it when/if it got there, you would be lucky.
6. New flier, "Don't do it".......

Purchase Insurance that covers water loss
Do test runs over land as was mentioned and make sure the antennas are pointed directly at the Mavic Pro during flight.
Get Flotation Device add on for the bottom of the Mavic Pro
You want a zero windy day.
Chase crew in the water for when it goes down.
Another drone flying behind it for 1/2 the trip and turn around so the other flyer can visually (live video feed) track the Mavic

If you dont make it Automatic Return to Home "may" (thats a big "may) allow the Mavic to return home and make it.

Reactions: Studoo
If you take one of the above suggestions, and have someone waiting for it at the other end ~be sure to set RTH to hover or land before taking off. So that - during your descent to land, when you lose your signal, the drone doesn't try to return to home.

From the Mavic manual:
upload_2018-1-23_8-52-25.png

And you know their estimated 13 km is under perfect conditions. So that makes your trip 1 km too long with zero time for taking your video. Odds are it will end up in the water.

Depends on the firmware you updated........You don't have that full range anymore.....
Try it....
I'll pass. I just quoted the current manual from DJI's web site. Personally, I do not fly to the limits of a written manual but on current conditions and maintaining VLOS.

I say GO FOR IT!!!!

Not even going to lecture, but...

This is exactly what the guy was doing who hit the chopper in NY.

Worse case scenario, criminal charges, best case, you loose your drone to the fishes.

On a stock setup your not likely to make the round trip. At 7km your at the far limits of the range but it is possible. To do it with any degree of certainty you'd need to do battery mods to increase flight time, and do antennae mods that would give you more signal range.

Also note that the safety patrol on here will now follow regularly scheduled shaming session on why you shouldn't do this.

Hahaha. The safety patrol. I love it! That name is totally sticking.

Not gonna happen without a battery mod. I went 3.5 miles one way and made it back with 2% battery.

Worse case scenario, criminal charges, best case, you loose your drone to the fishes.

Vyacheslav Tantashov, was flying at 500 feet over the city in Staten Island NY. Where you Pretty much can only fly in an aircraft park. Clearly not in the aircraft park. Probably a A terrorist for all we know. If you do this in the right area the only rule you’ll be breaking is the line of sight rule. And if you do it in a wide open area where there are no people houses There are minimal issues besides may be running out of battery and losing your drone. If you do it smart you will be fine. I’ve never been that far and don’t plan on it but many have done it, and do it all the time. Not saying it’s right or legal but if you do want to do it. Just try to find a place that is wide Open with no people or peoples property than could get damaged and you should be good. Good luck and happy flying!

Reactions: BrAinZ
Not gonna happen without a battery mod. I went 3.5 miles one way and made it back with 2% battery.

I think it heavily depends on conditions. Temperature, wind, how open the area is, altitude, etc. I’m sure those results could vary. Many on here have done it bone stock. Not me. But that range leaderboard says otherwise.

Vyacheslav Tantashov, was flying at 500 feet ...
At the time of the collision he was only at 300 ft, although he had been at 500 ft earlier. He was also not over the city, but out over the bay.

You can rationalize this all you want and I’m not here to “police or safety patrol” anyone. It’s just simple physics.

If you’re more than a mile or so out, you have no sense of any other air traffic, whether they are at 300 feet or 3000 ft, and believe me they can come out of nowhere. Are the odds in your favor? Yes, probably they are.

The choice is still yours to make and the chance is still yours to take, but if your luck runs out, it’s gonna be a very bad day for you and our hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossiback

He'd be perfectly legal to conduct this flight in Mexico so long as it wasn't done at night.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser