DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How serious is a high speed wind warning?

wco81

Reactions
On a trip to Italy now. Decided to fly this afternoon because tho it was windy — weather app showed 15 mph winds, the forecasts for the city I’m in predicted worse weather the next couple of days.

So I climbed to 250 ft. and after taking some photos, I got the wind warning to carefully find a place to land. Well it was over water so I did some flying to shoot a video and then RTH.

On the ground it wasn’t that windy though there were some gusts. So I swapped batteries and took off again and after climbing over 150 ft, got warnings again. On the first flight, the warnings didn’t come until after I’d flown about 10-15 minutes.

Again, didn’t feel more windy. Eventually brought the M2P back but the RTH location was several feet off, near a building. So I had to move it more towards Home and then land.

I guess the warning says land ASAP, not necessarily RTH, so maybe kinda serious.

I don’t know if it’s related but got two prompts to calibrate compass so ended up doing it twice after each flight.

Reactions: wagslarr
Your Go on that Warning Flight

The wind is always stronger higher up and compound that with being over water increases it. So you are using more battery and coming home could be harder. It is wise to heed the warnings, unless you want to get a new drone. A good app to have is “UAV Forecast” it shows different wind speeds for different altitudes. Right now for me it shows 10mph at 33 ft.and 17mph for 250ft. I am not sure how accurate it is, but good to check.

So if it’s 15 mph from the launch point, it’s likely to be over 20 MPH at 200 ft. and probably unsafe to fly?

Would be helpful if they had some guideline about how much faster the battery draws down at different wind speeds.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
It's more calibrated to detect gusts, as in the AC being jostled about.
It's too sensitive out of the box, so you soon come to disregard it, or re-calibrate it

It would be great if it detected wind speed & direction,
so you dont fly 4km out to sea, turn around for home and get a surprise

On a trip to Italy now. Decided to fly this afternoon because tho it was windy — weather app showed 15 mph winds, the forecasts for the city I’m in predicted worse weather the next couple of days.

So I climbed to 250 ft. and after taking some photos, I got the wind warning to carefully find a place to land. Well it was over water so I did some flying to shoot a video and then RTH.

On the ground it wasn’t that windy though there were some gusts. So I swapped batteries and took off again and after climbing over 150 ft, got warnings again. On the first flight, the warnings didn’t come until after I’d flown about 10-15 minutes.

Again, didn’t feel more windy. Eventually brought the M2P back but the RTH location was several feet off, near a building. So I had to move it more towards Home and then land.

I guess the warning says land ASAP, not necessarily RTH, so maybe kinda serious.

I don’t know if it’s related but got two prompts to calibrate compass so ended up doing it twice after each flight.

There are two warnings. One is a yellow high wind warning. That’s nothing I turned it off.

Then there’s a red high wind warning “find a safe place to land.” This is something to be mindful of and depending on your experience it might be a good indication to have at look at the attitude indicator to see just how high the wind really is. I actually turned this warning off too but I don’t necessarily recommend that until you know you don’t need it and you are asking the question, “how do I turn off wind warnings?”

Why DJI uses m/s is ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more, JAW. No one except rocket scientists use m/s for wind speed or any other speed for that matter.

Also, since the aircraft can do about 45mph at full throttle, using the HS number (groundspeed) in Go4, one can approximate the wind velocity by giving her full right stick and subtracting HS from 45. (for Imperial, not Metric)

Last edited:
Sorry wc081, I mispoke.
This is some Mavic 2, or firmware revision to Mavic 1 ive never flown.
My Mistake up there

I believe the manual says avoid flying at wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s {22 mph.}
Why DJI uses m/s is ridiculous.

I live in a country where m/s is the official unit for wind speed. I think this is true for most of Europe. Do they also use m/s if set to imperial?

Reactions: Plem
Upon some threshold drone switches into auto landing mode, so, to ignore it blindly is not wise
I am really interested to know if this is true, and if so, does anyone know what the threshold is? Once an auto landing is initiated is it possible to regain control? Also can the auto landing be set to hover at near ground level? This would be a death sentence over water and since it is generally windy/gusty on the ocean I would expect to get some wind errors. I've flown several times over land while getting & ignoring the RED high wind warning, it never even dawned on me that it could just simply decide to land on its own.

One of the problems you find in this situation is that if the Mavic goes into Return to Home and rises to a preset altitude where the winds are stronger (and you can pretty much guarantee that winds will be stronger the higher you get), then the RTH flight profile may not be enough to overcome a head-wind. The Mavic can end up drifting away from you as it fights to get home!
If you get the wind warning, then that can be interpreted as a warning to get the drone lower, and could also be interpreted as a warning to bring the drone home by dropping it down and hedge-hopping - if you know it's down-wind of you! It's times like those that you will be thankful for the hours you have practised flying the Drone home manually ...

May be in China it is unusual using mph?
Or maybe the USA is one of the last outposts of the Imperial [inches, feet, miles etc.], measurement system (except for the US Military who have adopted the metric system).

I am really interested to know if this is true, and if so, does anyone know what the threshold is? Once an auto landing is initiated is it possible to regain control? Also can the auto landing be set to hover at near ground level? This would be a death sentence over water and since it is generally windy/gusty on the ocean I would expect to get some wind errors. I've flown several times over land while getting & ignoring the RED high wind warning, it never even dawned on me that it could just simply decide to land on its own.

Thing is, if it doesn’t have clearing to land, it hovers and gives you the option to force land over where it’s hoering.

So if it detects obstacles below, surely it could detect water below and not try to land?

There are two warnings. One is a yellow high wind warning. That’s nothing I turned it off.

Then there’s a red high wind warning “find a safe place to land.” This is something to be mindful of and depending on your experience it might be a good indication to have at look at the attitude indicator to see just how high the wind really is. I actually turned this warning off too but I don’t necessarily recommend that until you know you don’t need it and you are asking the question, “how do I turn off wind warnings?”
i tested it when we had here gasps of wind up to 40mph, so, it does those 2 warnings, and if you keep ignoring getting higher into a stronger wind, it switches imto autoland mode and goes down on its own. i was able to intercept that landing and redirect it, but, do not recall what was done, exactly, i may have done combination of cancel with mode switches to atti. it was not clear from the log what was the exact driver to force the landing sequence, but, seems like a combination of several factors, with the message of motors power to be insufficient. so, just be aware that it may land someplace else if you keep pushing it.

Or maybe the USA is one of the last outposts of the Imperial [inches, feet, miles etc.], measurement system (except for the US Military who have adopted the metric system).
Hi We still use m.p.h.. for road speeds in the UK but all other measurements have gone metric. As an experienced ex-helicopter and airline pilot I am used to knots since aviation was initially developed adopted using nautical terms including port and starboard. I believe the DJI controller can be set to use whichever units you are more comfortable with. Always sensible to have your return (RTH) downwind when possible. Wind speed generally increases with altitude but not alway. There are other winds caused by ground effects and weather conditions. It is particularly fun and challenging in hilly or mountainous areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000