DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Add 3rd Party apps to Smart Controller.

You can install any 3rd party apps that allow installation from an APK file. Either download the APK from the web browser on the remote controller or put the APK file on a Micro SD card and install it from there.

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Mavic 2 Pro with the built-in screen. Does anyone have experience with adding 3rd party apps to the RC? Thanks.

There is a pretty severe limitation. You canNOT install either the Google Play Store or Google Play Services. The Services is apparently needed for a number of apps including apps that might use mapping. So, it can basically be trial and error. Install, test, delete. Some might run but be limited.

So far, I've been able to add 3rd party apps to the smart controller by using the browser, searching for "instagram apk" in the search bar, download the file, install the file, and log-in. It is really that simple and extremely successful. So far I've downloaded Hover, Instagram, and Facebook. ff22 is correct, you cannot download any apps that rely on Google Play Services, DroneDeploy is one of them. Hope this helps EVERYONE!

Reactions: ff22
Like stated above - no google play store. But you can install Amazon store straight from the web browser on SC. It is straight forward.

Like stated above - no google play store. But you can install Amazon store straight from the web browser on SC. It is straight forward.

I am not clear but at one time I thought that Amazon tracked every time an app acquired from them was used and maybe additional tracking?? Anyone know Amazons acquisition rules? But it also sounds as some of the same limitations may appy to their apps on the Smart Controller? Happy to be proved wrong.

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Mavic 2 Pro with the built-in screen. Does anyone have experience with adding 3rd party apps to the RC? Thanks.
Hi
I’ve managed to add a few, although limited.
First download the “Amazon App”
That’s pretty much it.
“Litchi” website actually gives you detailed instructions how to do it, as I said, it’s quite simple.
I’ve also managed to download “Litchi” app and it works fine.
Hope this helps.... Steve

hi, could you clarify 'works fine' part pls. do you mean it starts? or if it also connects to your drone?
Hi
What I meant to say is, it seems to work ok, I’ve flown 1 mission/flight with it and no problems.. Weather in scotland where I am is crap at this time of year but whenever I get a chance to test it further then I’ll record and post it..

Reactions: Point Zero
Hi
What I meant to say is, it seems to work ok, I’ve flown 1 mission/flight with it and no problems.. Weather in scotland where I am is crap at this time of year but whenever I get a chance to test it further then I’ll record and post it..
Ok, it is new.
Do you have smart controller and litchi app sensed when you connected to the drone?
Explain pls how you installed it, exactly.as it refused to work for everyone else so far. What exact version is it? From what source? What firmware version is on the controller?
Litchi support was saying smart controller uses different api so it cannot be connected...mine stays in disconnected status permanently.

Reactions: ff22
Ok, it is new.
Do you have smart controller and litchi app sensed when you connected to the drone?
Explain pls how you installed it, exactly.as it refused to work for everyone else so far. What exact version is it? From what source? What firmware version is on the controller?
Litchi support was saying smart controller uses different api so it cannot be connected...mine stays in disconnected status permanently.

Hi
All you need to do is ( And this is for Android tablets & Phones)
Go into your web browser on ‘Smart Controller
Doenload ‘ Amazon app’
Once downloaded, search ‘Litchi app’ & download.
Then download ‘ Litchi App’ again, onto Android Tablet or Android Phone’
Remember if you already have ‘Litchi’ on any of your iOS tablet or phone then you will have to pay again for it (about £20) as The app doesn’t allow you to mix or use both operating systems together..
As I said mine works or did work fine prior to ‘ Waypoints 2.0’ being updated on my Smart Controller. I’ve yet to try it now I’ve updated my Controller with waypoints 2..
Hopefully I’ll get a chance in the next few days should the weather hold up..
Thanks
Steve

Hi All

I played today with my SC and I think I start understanding what DJI did and why we can not use Litchi
First: SC is still 2 units in one box
( RC and monitor)
When you start Mavic 2 and SC
They connect to each other
With out any programs
When you start Go4 program
This program has all permissions
Including rights to communicate and change settings for hardware
I believe it is required for program
To communicate this remote control
Now when you install Litchi or other programs they may install with no any problems but when you will check program permissions
It is do not has permission to change hardware settings
And system do not allow to change this settings
I am thinking this is real problem
Witch do not allow use Litchi
So let me know what you think about it

Reactions: SteveLeBigMac
Quick update
Checked Litchi settings on Crystal Sky monitor
Litchi has all permissions allowed including Permission for change
Hardware/system settings
I believe if we can change this setting on SC we will be able use Litchi

Reactions: SteveLeBigMac
Somebody was chatting with litchi devs and was told problem with new SC is deeper and it is a new API protocol used by dji. Time will tell.

For now i can use old controller with ipad or my pixel phone with litchi and SC for everything else as thanks to dji the pairing process is very simple.

Ian doing same way
Hope DJI will make some changes
Allow us use 3rd party programs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom