DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Avoid Bird Attacks on Your Drone

Found an article at 3D Insider, gives some good advice
thought I would share it here, if this has already been shared before, I apologize for the re-post
this article originally posted January/2019

How to Avoid Bird Attacks on Your Drone

Its a good article but we have found a few other tricks that help:

Any Color is better than White : We tested all the color Wet Suits and Neon Blue got the least grief.

We also tested if flying your drone meekly was better than a Rocket , and the Meeker the drone meaning nice and slow is a signal to the Birds for Weak Prey and they will stalk you.

We have posted several video of this happening. Once they see your a rocket ability and that not a weak bird your much better off.

This was a break thru because now rather than trying to sneak past all coy , We make sure they see the Rocket ability of the drone and noticed a change in behavior of the seagulls anyway.

We also noticed that most birds attack while you our flying away from behind. At least in the video we shot , of course we have seen others attacked from the front .

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suits for the Mavics.

I have been lucky with this Osprey and my Mavic Mini. He is my model check out this.

Excellent footage of the Osprey, I think you may have had more of a challenge, had you tried to film near it's nest though.
It seemed more curious than fazed.[emoji106]

I’ve also been lucky filming ospreys with my mini. Not so much with the Phantom. I avoid eagles though. Vultures seem to enjoy flying with the drones and don’t attack but get bored easily. Seagulls are a PAIN and only understand aggression. They enjoy the chase but don’t like being chased.

I fish with my drones so I am often carrying bait underneath. That gets real exciting especially when the pelicans are fighting over my bait. Luckily my Gannet bait dropper will release automatically when pulled too hard. Otherwise bye bye birdie (drone). I hate reeling in birds, they’re pissed off and Bite.

Phantomrain wetsuits are also helpful. Black/blue better than black/red for bird avoidance. ? Have both.

Don’t Feed The Birds! Enjoy ?

I have been lucky with this Osprey and my Mavic Mini. He is my model check out this.
Just so you know, according to wildlife laws in the US anything that causes a wild animal to change its behavior is considered harassment. Birds of prey are protected species. Just for future reference. This one seemed very chill.

Read an article where a Phantom Pro was attacked by an Eagle in LP Michigan for the Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) State of Michigan. Pilot didn't see the strike, but a couple residents saw the attack, and the crash. It crashed in 4 feet of water. Searched for it by kayak, but couldn't locate it because of the murkiness of the water. Searcher said he entered the water and tried to find it with his feet, with no luck.

I've seen the smallest birds attacking red tailed hawks many time during nesting season so I don't think you're going to predict how to best protect yourself unless it's to land. Seagulls are just a menace. I love to watch them soar around the cliffs near the beach and near boats and that kind of stuff ..but they, for some bizarre reason of their own, just go into a frenzy when they spot some poor innocent drone pilot trying to have fun and photograph...what they consider is "their space". When you look at your ruined video later all you see is a flurry of wings and tails and near misses.

This thread has gone in a weird direction , uhg , anyone else have an TIPS that may help negotiate birds ????

Well in my defense, I was flying VLOS and the bird looks pretty chilly. Just in case this was filmed in Mexico. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have done a bit of falconry over the years, mostly with eagles, falcons and goshawks.
I now fly with a Mavic Mini.
Eagles tend to ignore the Mini, they are constantly being harassed by Mini sized birds that are not seen as prey, the larger Mavics fall into the prey size and are in danger from eagles.

Falcons and goshawks are deadly to all recreational drones and if observed while flying they should be avoided at all costs.

We need to remember that we are seen as uninvited intruders by most birds we will encounter, in airspace that they see as their own.
Be patient and fly safe.

I have done a bit of falconry over the years, mostly with eagles, falcons and goshawks.
I now fly with a Mavic Mini.
Eagles tend to ignore the Mini, they are constantly being harassed by Mini sized birds that are not seen as prey, the larger Mavics fall into the prey size and are in danger from eagles.

Falcons and goshawks are deadly to all recreational drones and if observed while flying they should be avoided at all costs.

We need to remember that we are seen as uninvited intruders by most birds we will encounter, in airspace that they see as their own.
Be patient and fly safe.
Good to know and well spoken , Thank u

Reactions: zeusfl and Beet
Reactions: Torcan
Read an article where a Phantom Pro was attacked by an Eagle in LP Michigan for the Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) State of Michigan. Pilot didn't see the strike, but a couple residents saw the attack, and the crash. It crashed in 4 feet of water. Searched for it by kayak, but couldn't locate it because of the murkiness of the water. Searcher said he entered the water and tried to find it with his feet, with no luck.
They did recover it.

118188962_3493200450691273_33508912748178892_n.jpg

Reactions: lorpal
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu