DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to avoid common drone crashes

FlyingFilmmaker

Reactions
Site
flyingfilmmakerpro.com
Recently shot a video on how to avoid 5 of the most common ways beginner drone pilots crash (i.e. how i've crashed over the years😅) complete with as much crash footage as I could pull together.

Interested to hear what some of the most common crashes are in ya'll's experience, and maybe some tips on avoiding them.

Recently shot a video on how to avoid 5 of the most common ways beginner drone pilots crash (i.e. how i've crashed over the years😅) complete with as much crash footage as I could pull together.

That could all be summarised as flying close to obstacles is risky.
Avoid flying close to things you can crash into.
It's hard to get into trouble when there's nothing to hit.

The number one thig is HEED THE WARNINGS!!! They come up for a reason. Check your props often, they can and do break.
Very, very true! And props can accumulate ice on them, as I learned after one warning I ignored almost too long...

Reactions: SeaPig
That could all be summarised as flying close to obstacles is risky.
Avoid flying close to things you can crash into.
It's hard to get into trouble when there's nothing to hit.
That's often true. If you simply stick to 400 feet at all times (besides takeoff and landing) there isn't much to crash into. Unless you're flying in the mountains, and then you still have to pay attention, even at 400 feet.

I always prefer to film my pull away shots flying forwards, then reverse the shot in editing.

This doesn’t work if people are walking, or cars driving, or waves etc in the shot, but can really save some time and trouble and reduce risk too when circumstances are right.

Interested to hear what some of the most common crashes are in ya'll's experience, and maybe some tips on avoiding them.

Am I just lucky , I have flown DJI drones from the Phantom 2 , I at the moment fly the Inspire, a Phantom 4Pro, the Mavic 2 Pro , the mini 2 and now the mini 3 Pro, never crashed any of them, I am in the U.K. a Welshman one of gods chosen, fellow fliers that have suffered a crash have my sympathy, I always update software and drone, I do a pre flight test / check, hover and check all controls are working , if happy I fly. Nearly always once a week, weather permitting . Hope now I’ve said that my luck continues and I haven’t cursed myself , cheers Len

That's often true. If you simply stick to 400 feet at all times (besides takeoff and landing) there isn't much to crash into. Unless you're flying in the mountains, and then you still have to pay attention, even at 400 feet.
and at that height you risk putting your drone up into high wind, waste power in the climb and descent and probably can not legally fly over any ground that slopes down from the launch point, 🤔

Reactions: FlyingFilmmaker
@lensimages ,hi Len you may be onto something there ,i like you are going to tempt fate ,no crashes for me also in 5 years of flying DJI drones
must be something in the air around here

I always prefer to film my pull away shots flying forwards, then reverse the shot in editing.

This doesn’t work if people are walking, or cars driving, or waves etc in the shot, but can really save some time and trouble and reduce risk too when circumstances are right.
Excellent point! I do that all the time, probably over half of my pull back shots are reversed. Should have put that in the video.

Am I just lucky , I have flown DJI drones from the Phantom 2 , I at the moment fly the Inspire, a Phantom 4Pro, the Mavic 2 Pro , the mini 2 and now the mini 3 Pro, never crashed any of them, I am in the U.K. a Welshman one of gods chosen, fellow fliers that have suffered a crash have my sympathy, I always update software and drone, I do a pre flight test / check, hover and check all controls are working , if happy I fly. Nearly always once a week, weather permitting . Hope now I’ve said that my luck continues and I haven’t cursed myself , cheers Len
Wow, that's pretty incredible! I wish I could say the same, haha. Must be some kind of Welsh magic?

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
and at that height you risk putting your drone up into high wind, waste power in the climb and descent and probably can not legally fly over any ground that slopes down from the launch point, 🤔
True... And the shots at 400 feet are sometimes less interesting than lower altitudes... So I fly lower where there are obstacles. 🤷‍♂️

Good video. Should help in getting folks to think a little about what they are doing before they do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose