DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to capture old .exe slide show?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I produced a promotional slide show, perhaps 15 years ago, maybe longer. It was done with a slide show program that produced it as a .exe file. I'd like to somehow re-capture it as a .mp4 or .mov but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I'm sure there is software out there that can record on-screen video, but I've not done it before. I might even have software already on one of my computers that might accomplish the task, but never used it in this fashion.

Below find the link on my Google Drive so you can see what it is so you can best advise me on how to accomplish recording this file into a current format. Thanks in advance.

Exe slide show link

I use Snagit and Camtasia from Techsmith. Very handy tools in digital media. They may have trial versions that support your one capture?

I do think you’re correct that screen capture is the only way. As far as I know.

***edit***
Assuming your exe runs!!!
I did not open your exe; typing on an iPad at the moment, going from memory of making these slide shows back in the 90s and Oughts.

I use Snagit and Camtasia from Techsmith. Very handy tools in digital media. They may have trial versions that support your one capture?

I do think you’re correct that screen capture is the only way. As far as I know.

***edit***
Assuming your exe runs!!!
I did not open your exe; typing on an iPad at the moment, going from memory of making these slide shows back in the 90s and Oughts.
The EXE runs on my computers, so that shouldn't be an issue.

OBS Studio is the goto for recordings.
I downloaded and installed OBS... but have no idea how to run the EXE file and capture it with this program. Any tips/hints/instructions? I can't seem to be able to drag it into the program as I don't think it recognizes an exe file. Thoughts?

I downloaded and installed OBS... but have no idea how to run the EXE file and capture it with this program. Any tips/hints/instructions? I can't seem to be able to drag it into the program as I don't think it recognizes an exe file. Thoughts?
To answer your question about using the EXE, all the EXE does is open a built in video player. You cannot just change that to a MP4 format. You need to screen capture the video and save it. Many video editors have screen capturing. I used Camtasia Recorder 2020 to capture your video.

To answer your question about using the EXE, all the EXE does is open a built in video player. You cannot just change that to a MP4 format. You need to screen capture the video and save it. Many video editors have screen capturing. I used Camtasia Recorder 2020 to capture your video.
I truly appreciate you converting the file for me. Occasionally I want to record non-downloadable streaming things, but so rarely that I don't want to pay a lot for a once-in-awhile thing. I'm hoping that I can figure it out on OBS.
Thanks again.

In OBS you create scenes, in which you add sources, and a source for something like this would be either whole display capture or window capture. You can place, reframe etc as you wish.
Look up tutorial videos, should be plenty of them.

In OBS you create scenes, in which you add sources, and a source for something like this would be either whole display capture or window capture. You can place, reframe etc as you wish.
Look up tutorial videos, should be plenty of them.
I hadn't thought of tutorial videos, only the user manual. My brain is operating in slow motion today. @TommyGrimmer saved me today by doing the conversion for me. I still need to learn how to do this. There are a lot of streaming videos that are not downloadable that I'd like to have in my archives.

I produced a promotional slide show, perhaps 15 years ago, maybe longer. It was done with a slide show program that produced it as a .exe file. I'd like to somehow re-capture it as a .mp4 or .mov but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I'm sure there is software out there that can record on-screen video, but I've not done it before. I might even have software already on one of my computers that might accomplish the task, but never used it in this fashion.

Below find the link on my Google Drive so you can see what it is so you can best advise me on how to accomplish recording this file into a current format. Thanks in advance.

Exe slide show link
There are free programs that convert all types of files to whatever format you want, just Google file converters , cheers Len

I hadn't thought of tutorial videos, only the user manual. My brain is operating in slow motion today. @TommyGrimmer saved me today by doing the conversion for me. I still need to learn how to do this. There are a lot of streaming videos that are not downloadable that I'd like to have in my arc

There are free programs that convert all types of files to whatever format you want, just Google file converters , cheers Len
An MP4 file contains video and audio data. An EXE file is an executable program containing machine language instructions and associated data. You can’t “convert” an EXE file into an MP4 file.

Reactions: SethB and Kilrah
OBS Studio is the goto for recordings.
I love OBS! And, it’s not very intuitive. At all.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of user-created OBS support materials.

An MP4 file contains video and audio data. An EXE file is an executable program containing machine language instructions and associated data. You can’t “convert” an EXE file into an MP4 file.
Fortunately that one file is the only EXE slideshow I have. It was easy to do at the time and I don't even remember which program I used to do it.

What I want to do now is be able to capture and archive streamed performances that are archived online but not downloadable. Can I do that with OBS or do I need a different program/app?

I love OBS! And, it’s not very intuitive. At all.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of user-created OBS support materials.
You're right. Not intuitive. But I did see some tutorial videos. I just haven't had time to delve in and don't have an immediate need any longer now that my EXE was converted to MP3 courtesty of @TommyGrimmer .

I have used OBS in the past. Worked great for capturing a outdoor camera and streaming it to my facebook account. It can be overwhelming for sure as it has a ton of options. You would have to use it often to remember most of them. Just opened it up and found mine needed updating, after the update I tried to remember how to do screen capturing and it took me some time to figure it out and thats coming from someone who used it a fair amount a few years ago.

Hi, I suspect you used PTE to produce the slideshow in EXE format. It is now called PTE AV Studio and they have just released V11. You can download a free trial, for Windows or Mac, from PTE AV Studio - Photo Slideshow Software - PicturesToExe - WnSoft
Open your EXE file in that and then export as an mp4 file.
If all else fails sendme a copy and i'll try the same procedure with my copy.
LOL why not just download it like I did from his very first post? No need for him to send you a copy and he already has it in MP4 format.

LOL why not just download it like I did from his very first post? No need for him to send you a copy and he already has it in MP4 format.
His post says "I'd like to somehow re-capture it as a .mp4 or .mov but I'm not sure how to go about doing it"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada