DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How To Deliver A Beer With A Drone (a Mavic Air 2 in particular!)

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
After a fair amount of experimentation, I am very pleased to have successfully figured out how to deliver a beer via drone.

And I am even more pleased to share this breakthrough with the aviation world. I Googled this problem hard. Lots of people provided terrific insight into individual parts of this problem, but no one, as far as I can tell, put all the pieces together.

Here you go:

Impressive write-up! If I ever feel the need to deliver beers via drone, I'll be consulting your guide!

After a fair amount of experimentation, I am very pleased to have successfully figured out how to deliver a beer via drone.

And I am even more pleased to share this breakthrough with the aviation world. I Googled this problem hard. Lots of people provided terrific insight into individual parts of this problem, but no one, as far as I can tell, put all the pieces together.

Here you go:

Assuming you learned the cause for the loss of a beer, would that make you sadder budweiser? Sorry.....

Assuming you learned the cause for the loss of a beer, would that make you sadder budweiser? Sorry.....

Holy hell, you should be!

If I wanted to suffer through terrible humor like that, I'd hang out with my father.

Interesting project !

The chute did not get inflated quickly because it was rolled up. It should have been folded in a zig-zag manner. Google "packing paragliding reserve chute" on Youtube to get an idea on how we paraglider pilots pack our reserve chutes.

There should be a mechanism to pull the chute open instead of relying on the chute to open by itself. E.g. a string with one end tied to the craft and the other end attached to the apex of the chute via a piece of small velco which will break apart once the chute is stretched. That's how full-size parachutes are opened :

1600058756944.png

Last edited:
Interesting project !

The chute did not get inflated quickly because it was rolled up. It should have been folded in a zig-zag manner. Google "packing paragliding reserve chute" on Youtube to get an idea on how we paraglider pilots pack our reserve chutes.

There should be a mechanism to pull the chute open instead of relying on the chute to open by itself. E.g. a string with one end tied to the craft and the other end attached to the apex of the chute via a piece of small velco which will break apart once the chute is stretched.

Oh, that’s great, thank you! I’ll continue the research.

Reactions: Flynz
Nice research Thmoore. I have been experimenting with delivering a safety- line across rivers with our water rescue team, and have found that my Marvic 2 Zoom will lift 1kg which is 20 metres of line. My biggest problem is not to let the growing trailing loop touch the water as it will very quickly drag down the drone to a watery grave! With this in mind I have been looking at release systems so I can ditch the line in an emergency. So the M2 family can also deliver bears and maybe bottles?

79171923_280113769792661_7026767466365714432_n.jpg

So the M2 family can also deliver bears and maybe bottles?
Delivering bears would probably require several M2's working together, even for small bear cubs.
But on the safety line, how about taking across only a very light line with your drone, and then using that to pull the safety line across the water?

Thanks JimWest, it has been tried with lighter lines and will take more line but the water will still pull a light line down. Also the lighter the line make it difficult for heavier lines to be pulled accross by us for the same reason, moving water is a strong force.

Reactions: Thmoore
My only concern is--all this trouble for a Budweiser??? We have lots of good craft beers available in cans here in Michigan!
I yield.

Delivering bears would probably require several M2's working together, even for small bear cubs.
But on the safety line, how about taking across only a very light line with your drone, and then using that to pull the safety line across the water?
Or maybe the opposite – lifting the heavy cord, and dragging a lighter cord behind it, which you'd then use to pull the heavy cord back to shore?

Or using two drones to lift two spans of heavy cord? hmmm...

Or: using two drones to keep the heavy cord above the water altogether, so you don't have to worry about water resistance, and then drop one end on shore, and the other end on your target? It would likely be a pretty deep "U" of cord between them, so you'd need, say, 150 meters of cord to go out 100 meters.

Re: Bears: I agree. Maybe the Mavic 3 will have bear-hoisting capabilities.

Nice research Thmoore. I have been experimenting with delivering a safety- line across rivers with our water rescue team, and have found that my Marvic 2 Zoom will lift 1kg which is 20 metres of line. My biggest problem is not to let the growing trailing loop touch the water as it will very quickly drag down the drone to a watery grave! With this in mind I have been looking at release systems so I can ditch the line in an emergency. So the M2 family can also deliver bears and maybe bottles?
Thank you! My extremely cheap release system can't handle much more weight than I'm giving it, I fear. Maybe ones designed for mightier drones would handle more?

That's how ships unrep. (Underway replenishment). Done it many times. One ship pulls up to the other. They shoot across a light line with an m16 charge and ball attached to the light line. The other ship pulls it it in with the heavy line attached. After that fuel hoses,people basket etc. can be sent to the other ship.

Reactions: monteolsen1
From beers to bears, ran the gamut, whatever that is.
I taught my wolfdog to fetch me a beer. Had to use bottles since he kept making the cans holy. Maybe on purpose.
That also came to an end when he started burying the darn things.

Here you go:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'm sure your drinking buddies appreciate this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme