DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to disable Landing protection?

Muzingu

Reactions
Does anyone know how to disable landing protection on the mavic mini? I want to be able to fly close to the ground, but still have the drone maintain it's position so taping the sensors is not an option. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
What are you flying? In Go 4 it's at Visual Navigation Settings/Advanced Settings. Just remember to turn it back on to avoid hard landings.

as far as i am aware the downwards vision system can not be disabled in the app the only way to do it is to cover the sensors how close do you need to go as the drone does not hover very high anyway and of course with LP off it will land quite hard unless you are able to hand catch it

What are you flying? In Go 4 it's at Visual Navigation Settings/Advanced Settings. Just remember to turn it back on to avoid hard landings.

When I get my drone back I can try the go4 app but per my conversation with DJI it is not possible to disable in the app.

as far as i am aware the downwards vision system can not be disabled in the app the only way to do it is to cover the sensors how close do you need to go as the drone does not hover very high anyway and of course with LP off it will land quite hard unless you are able to hand catch it

I want to fly in confined spaces like under furniture or in crawl spaces. And the landing protection is an issue.

And I always hand catch the mini, I don’t want to pull more sand/dirt through the motors then I have to.

When I get my drone back I can try the go4 app but per my conversation with DJI it is not possible to disable in the app.
i am assuming that you are talking about a MM as you posted in the MM forum,if that is the case then the GO4 app does not work with the MM only the fly app

i am assuming that you are talking about a MM as you posted in the MM forum,if that is the case then the GO4 app does not work with the MM only the fly app

Yup, it is a mini. I edited my original post to clarify that. And thanks, I didn’t think it worked, but I would have been happy to be wrong.

I want to fly in confined spaces like under furniture or in crawl spaces...
FYI - If you get too close to a solid surface above, your Mini will suck itself up to it. That happened to my MP while flying indoors and got too close to the ceiling.

something else to be aware of even if you disabled the landing protection by putting tape over the sensors
the fact that you are flying indoors means that you would be in atti mode so you would have the issue of, even if you could fly under furniture or in crawl spaces
there would be the problem of ground effect and prop wash that would push the drone all over the place in such restricted places
and what was said by @Mossiback in post#9

Yup my first crash with my mini. I had in in a crawl space, got too close to the ceiling, and when I got it down it pulled to the side a bit, it hit something, and ended up on the ground. If it becomes a major issue I will just extend the prop guards up a bit.

And the ground effect prop wash is why I want to do this. keeping something steady in atti mode really isn't that big of a deal in the open, but in a confined space the prop wash can be difficult to manage.

The only way to do that is to tape over the sensors before you turn on the bird.

Reactions: FEATHERS
I want to fly in confined spaces like under furniture or in crawl spaces. And the landing protection is an issue.

And I always hand catch the mini, I don’t want to pull more sand/dirt through the motors then I have to.
I guess the Mini is the wrong drone for the things you like to do with. I like to do similar things but am using my tiny- and cine whoops for that purpose. No risk for damaging furniture and also only very low risk for damaging the drone.

its easy to disable landing protection, the easiest way is download from drone-hacks.com, change parameter of the mavic mini in advance parameter, search: landing
and then
smart landing / landing protection set to 0

Parameter "min_height_user" set to 1 and you can fly literally few inches from the ground and it still hovers.

While software alterations will most certainly help in many situations, just remember that the moment you change any of the parameters you void the warranty.

Just a word of caution.

A very simple way would be to tape over only the proximity sensors, leaving the optical flow sensor uncovered. There's a row of 3 sensors underneath, at the rear of the drone. The outer 2 are proximity sensors and the middle one is the optical flow sensor (essentially a camera that detects movement)

Alternatively play with parameters as @Whiskey103 and @M Akbar Marwan suggest.

@Vic Moss Are you sure that changing parameters voids the warranty? Other Mavics natively allowed paramter tweaking via DJI Assistant.

Reactions: WooZie
A very simple way would be to tape over only the proximity sensors, leaving the optical flow sensor uncovered. There's a row of 3 sensors underneath, at the rear of the drone. The outer 2 are proximity sensors and the middle one is the optical flow sensor (essentially a camera that detects movement)

Alternatively play with parameters as @Whiskey103 and @M Akbar Marwan suggest.

@Vic Moss Are you sure that changing parameters voids the warranty? Other Mavics natively allowed paramter tweaking via DJI Assistant.

If you're changing the parameters within DJI Assistant, that's different. If you use NLD or the one above, that is outside the warrantee.

If you're changing the parameters within DJI Assistant, that's different. If you use NLD or the one above, that is outside the warrantee.
Just for information, I know somebody flying with batt type = 0 (which is a parameter changed with DH) who had a problem with his mini and was repaired under warranty...

Reactions: Aairon and scro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929