DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fly "sideways" manually?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
(New pilot) I have read that in order to maintain a course, with the camera aimed 90º pilot's left or right, it is necessary to set a course, then fly the course on auto with the drone facing 90º left or right (if I understood correctly). Meaning the drone might FLY due north with the gimbal aimed due west. If that's the only option, it would seem that this can't be done with manual navigation? I'm guessing the gimbal can't be orientated to 90º pilot left or right? Or is there some other way to achieve this?

In case I'm still being unclear, I might want to video along a coastline, but with the camera aimed perpendicular to the shore.

Thanks

Just fly sideways. Point the camera at the shore and use the roll stick to move parallel to the shore. Before you do this check for obstructions along the flight path. This is how I made the shot tracking the train in the video below.

it would seem that this can't be done with manual navigation?
I'm guessing the gimbal can't be orientated to 90º pilot left or right?
It can be done with manual navigation.
Your drone can fly forward, backward and sideways as well as anywhere in between.
You turn the drone to face the direction you want (not the gimbal) and fly the drone however you like.

Like I said, new pilot. I didn't realize that right stick pulled to 3:00 or 9:00 will just fly in that direction. Excellent technology!

Reactions: BigAl07
What i do, before I make longer moves sideways, is make a 360° with the camera horizontal to see if there is any obstruction in the altitude I make my move over. If so, I move up as far as needed, bring the drone in the position I want it, get the camera pointed and then fly. It might not be "neccessary" but it gives me the feeling to be on the safe side.

But you have a MP2 which has optical avoidance in all directions - if you fly sideways and the quad sees something it should stop or avoid it - I have a MP1 and only have it ahead - wish I had that option.

At least you are cautious as everyone should be !!

Reactions: WAXMAN
With thee stick pointing e.g "NW" it can fly sideways with the camera looking at 45 degrees.
Tap Fly and free mode is very good for this.
Be ready to cancel with X or in and out of Sport Mode if itdoesn't go quite as planned.

But you have a MP2 which has optical avoidance in all directions - if you fly sideways and the quad sees something it should stop or avoid it - I have a MP1 and only have it ahead - wish I had that option.
The lateral sensors are not as effective as the forward/reverse sensors.
From the manual: The Lateral Vision Systems are only available in some Intelligent Flight Modes and Tripod Mode.

The lateral sensors are not as effective as the forward/reverse sensors.
From the manual: The Lateral Vision Systems are only available in some Intelligent Flight Modes and Tripod Mode.
You have to assume that the collision sensors will do nothing but if they do it’s just the frosting on the cake . Believe me I have learned the hard way ?

Reactions: BigAl07
#
Not true, not in all modes!
The lateral obstacle avoidance is pretty much worthless don’t count on it for anything . It only works a little bit in tripod mode and active track

The lateral obstacle avoidance is pretty much worthless don’t count on it for anything . It only works a little bit in tripod mode and active track
The reason for that is that it is usually going to fast in the other modes for only one electric Eye to be functionable dji told me

Here's an example of flying sideways, although this is a moving subject, unlike the coastline you want to shoot. This was actually shot from my Inspire1, but I think it's still relevant to the OP's request.
https://vimeo.com/348479721

You might want to skip to 0:30 where the boat accelerates.

The lateral sensor capability is the least robust of all and as stated before only available in Tripod Mode and maybe a couple of other auto modes. Any of the sensors can be fooled under certain circumstances as well. You'll have to review the manual well including all the notes/fine print.

there is a saying that there are no dumb questions but that is a dumb question. BEFORE using anything, read the manual

In defense of the OP he asked a technique question. If you are referring to the proximity sensors, another poster brought up that subject with incomplete information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS