DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hover very low

clcoleman

Reactions
I have a Mavic air 2 and I’m trying to get some low angle hover shots over the water. Problem is I can only hover so far down before it stops and wants to start a landing sequence. Can I achieve the shot I’m looking for or will I need to upgrade to the phantom or Mavic 2 pro so I have the ability to turn off my downward sensors? Thank you

I crashed my drone taking off from a transparent glass panel as it started drifting out of control immediately after take-off.

It is also true that I was indoors without any satellite lock; the drone was relying solely on the downward vision system.

I believe that out in the open on a very calm day with plenty satellites lock, there will be no issue holding a very precise altitude.

...I can only hover so far down before it stops and wants to start a landing sequence...
For all Mavics that "so far down..." is 0,5m or approx 1,7ft. If holding the throttle stick down longer than 3sec at that VPS measured height the craft will start to land.

So you want to go below 1,7ft ... over water, that's really risky when considering the hover accuracy stated in the manual.

1616771497056.png
Those 0,1m (0,33ft) with the VPS on & being able to measure can easily make your craft go under if the VPS reads wrong due to getting tricked by water reflections ...

And if you in some way manage to disable them you instead have 0,5m (1,7ft) accuracy ... which for sure will increase the risk further.

That shot better be worth it ...

I know what the manual states but in my experience it’s like what @izometric said. My Mavic Air 2 is locked in place when it hovers. It also helps that I really only fly on days that there are no wind
Since the MA2 was released we have seen more drowned birds here at the forum than you can count ... & have investigated hundreds of crash cases here so we know very well that they don't hold the altitude to the millimetre all the time, far from it actually, the barometric sensor isn't that accurate ...

Hovering over solid ground or doing it over water can be 2 very different thing's when it comes to how well the craft holds the height.

I'm not saying that you will fail ... but you will increase the risk considerably. But it's your money ... think you've been provided with all facts now at least.

Updating the drone will not matter , the best way to get low is not to hover but to fly over decreasing your alt and paying attention to your speed, Notice how we do it with the rescue Jacket and just skim the water , you cannot do it hovering.

The longer you hover the more chance of a forced landing.

52 Seconds into the video you can see how we stay low. You can skim the water also but we recommend the Rescue Jackets as you can get away with a lot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on Water.

We also have a video for the Air 2 but this shows how to effectively fly low across the water without a forced landing..

Could you sit it on something to make the shot or even hand hold it without props going?
I dont have MA1 but have seen others use their drones as gimbals for hand held shots.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka