DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to know Mini will not hit something?

changkh

Reactions
When flying using the screen alone, objects appear nearer than they really are. How do you tell if Mini will not hit something when flying using the screen?

When flying using the screen alone, objects appear nearer than they really are. How do you tell if Mini will not hit something when flying using the screen?
Get familiar and do a lot of flying before trying to get close to objects. Even then fly slowly and cautiously.

One technique that is useful is with the camera perfectly level if the top of the object is below the centerline and moving down in your view you will miss it. Alternatively, it is good to practice by flying close to an object close to you and then look at the screen versus how close the object actually is to the drone. You can kind of get calibrated to better judge the distance via the screen.

Too bad there isn't an option in the app to add the green, yellow, red perspective lines to the screen as an aid (think backup camera) since the lens is a fixed focal length. I guess DJI figured folks would trust it too much and not take the time to practice in close quarters to gauge distance and perspective.

I have been flying drones for quite a few years and I have made contact with our backyard fence and the back side of our house. No real damage just had to replace a couple props but now I keep my distance.
When I hit the back of the house it was a pretty windy day and suddenly a big gust came out of nowhere and BAM!!
Now I keep my distance.
Using an iPad Pro now also helps.

Experience and practice will help, as will a larger screen for older eyes like mine. My old iPhone 6s still works, but I'm much more confident using iPad mini.

Camino Ken (above) gave you really good advice. And then, like the cab driver said to a tourist who asked “how do I get to Carnegie Music Hall?” The answer was practice, practice, practice!?

You should be flying within visual line of sight at a distance no more than 500meters. Depending on a pilots experience i suggest the 75/25 rule, the 75% being keeping the drone in line of site. Fly safe

I’m sorry, but IMHO that’s not helpful to the OP. At 500 meters, using VLOS, you can’t see if the drone is going to make it through a small opening.

I’m sorry, but IMHO that’s not helpful to the OP. At 500 meters, using VLOS, you can’t see if the drone is going to make it through a small opening.
What does “IMHO“mean ?. The 500meter is the max distance you can fly within visual line of sight, for close up work you are flying the wrong drone you need to upgrade to a drone like the the MAVIC2 with 360 degree sensing in tripod mod. Fly safe

What does “IMHO“mean ?. The 500meter is the max distance you can fly within visual line of sight, for close up work you are flying the wrong drone you need to upgrade to a drone like the the MAVIC2 with 360 degree sensing in tripod mod. Fly safe
In my humble opinion. ?. I agree, sensors would be very helpful.

I try to fly within line of sight but this thing is so small I can barely see it from 200 meters and not to mention, parallax error from the ground. Anyone uses the grid lines as a guide? I turn on all of them but I need to experiment to see how I can use them.

500 Meters is hardly the max I can fly and still maintain VLOS. I use 1500 Lumen Lume Cubes on my drones and can see them up to a mile away in daylight and double that at night.

Thinking that objects are closer than they appear could help you crash.
The camera has a wideangle lens so everything appears further away than it really is.
Things are actually closer than they appear.

Reactions: pelagic_one
500 Meters is hardly the max I can fly and still maintain VLOS. I use 1500 Lumen Lume Cubes on my drones and can see them up to a mile away in daylight and double that at night.
While the ICAO does not define the distance for VLOS, Transport Canada deem VLOS to be 500 meters. This was a question on my the ADVANCED drone pilot exam, furthermore we in Canada have to undergo a flight review in the field with a Transport Canada flight reviewer, again this question was asked of me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka