DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to load an offline map?

Vlaak

Reactions
Hi all, I've added a few offline maps to my controller before a trip this weekend. I REALLY hope the maps that are downloaded are actually bigger than that tiny box it shows you.

Anyway, how does one view that map while in the camera mode? If I turn off wifi while in my house, and I bring up the camera mode. Then I click the map in the lower left of the screen so it makes my map full screen I can't find a way to tell it to load one of my offline maps. I also can't just scroll to the downloaded area because it seems not to scroll at all when wifi is turned off. If I scroll far to one direction, my gps icon just scrolls off one side of the screen and comes over to the other side.

Maybe when I get to a location and it recognizes from my GPS coordinates that I'm in one of my downloaded areas, it will auto load it? I would hate to rely on it working this way only to drive 5 hours and find that it doesn't work this way lol.

Unfortunately my phone doesn't have a hotspot so I'm trying to figure this out at home before I leave.

Thanks for any help

Hi all, I've added a few offline maps to my controller before a trip this weekend. I REALLY hope the maps that are downloaded are actually bigger than that tiny box it shows you.

Anyway, how does one view that map while in the camera mode? If I turn off wifi while in my house, and I bring up the camera mode. Then I click the map in the lower left of the screen so it makes my map full screen I can't find a way to tell it to load one of my offline maps. I also can't just scroll to the downloaded area because it seems not to scroll at all when wifi is turned off. If I scroll far to one direction, my gps icon just scrolls off one side of the screen and comes over to the other side.

Maybe when I get to a location and it recognizes from my GPS coordinates that I'm in one of my downloaded areas, it will auto load it? I would hate to rely on it working this way only to drive 5 hours and find that it doesn't work this way lol.

Unfortunately my phone doesn't have a hotspot so I'm trying to figure this out at home before I leave.

Thanks for any help

I can't be sure, because, like you, I'm not sure about how large an area "out of the rectangle" is part of the downloaded maps. BUT I think it worked because when I drove 60 miles away which is outside of my home "rectangle" I had a map of the area (in the mountains) that I had preloaded/cached. It showed where I was flying and I had no wifi at that location.

Reactions: Vlaak
One needs to bring up the map of the area they are going to be flying in when they have internet connectivity. Then scroll in and scroll out using finger pinch method. Then the map will be expanded to include a larger coverage area as you scrolled out to encompass that area.

Thanks for any help

iOS or Android is a really important piece of info we need

Thanks guys.

Brett8883 I guess Android since its the Smart Controller. But I think the Smart Controller version of things is different from the regular Android version afaik.

BDOG, thanks I tried that. I scrolled around in the area I'm going to go, and I turned off Wi-Fi and still was able to see the maps as expected. However, when I powered down the Smart Controller and powered it back on (as I will when I travel) it seemed to lose the maps I cached. I couldn't continue to scroll around in the cached area (it was just gone) until I turned the Wi-Fi back on :(

ff22, thanks! I'll see how it goes. What you say sounds promising :)

Thanks guys.

Brett8883 I guess Android since its the Smart Controller. But I think the Smart Controller version of things is different from the regular Android version afaik.

BDOG, thanks I tried that. I scrolled around in the area I'm going to go, and I turned off Wi-Fi and still was able to see the maps as expected. However, when I powered down the Smart Controller and powered it back on (as I will when I travel) it seemed to lose the maps I cached. I couldn't continue to scroll around in the cached area (it was just gone) until I turned the Wi-Fi back on :(

ff22, thanks! I'll see how it goes. What you say sounds promising :)

Didn’t see the Smart Controller forum that’s my bad

Here is a thread on the forum that contains a step by step as well as a video.
Perhaps it will be helpful. Let us know if you were able to get this functionality working.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000