HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
It's important to monitor the battery voltage in each cell of the DJI smart battery. Be aware of the following:

1) Monitor the battery to ensure all cells maintain a similar voltage.
2) Do not allow any of the battery cells to drop below 3.3V.
3) Consider landing your Mavic when (or before) the first battery cell reaches 3.4V.
4) Your battery will shut off mid-flight if the voltage drops below 3.0V.

You can display the voltage of the lowest battery cell on the main screen of the DJI GO application. To do so, enable the "Show Voltage On Main Screen" setting in the "Aircraft Battery" --> "Advanced Settings" section of the DJI GO settings.

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-1.jpg

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-2.jpg

Once enabled, the lowest battery cell voltage will appear at the top, right of the DJI GO application -- like this:

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-3.jpg

In the "Remote Controller Settings" section of the DJI GO settings, you can set either C1 or C2 to "Battery Info" to quickly open/close the battery settings.

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-4.jpg

Below is an example that shows a battery that has a consistent voltage in each battery cell.

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-5.jpg

And, here's an example that shows a damaged battery:

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-6.jpg

It's important to ensure your battery is in good health prior to takeoff. Flying with a battery that has one or more bad cells could cause the battery to discharge very quickly and/or your Mavic to shut off mid-flight and drop from the sky.

Wow.. Its a 3s. I hope its a proper 3s and not like the p2's dodgy 3x2 config.

Reactions: KONY
The voltage on the top of the screen only shows the total voltage, not lowest cell voltage..

I have added this to my config list ...

I learned this first hand back in my P2 days, when I finished a flight I was messing around forcing it to fly, when it wanted to land due to low battery, (yeah I know). I was only 5' off the grass but the motors just all shut off at once and down she went. No damage but scared the crap out of me, lesson learned, I kept a sharp eye on my battery after that and never had another issue.

Thanks for the tip on how to monitor the batteries.

For $89 a pop though, you think these batteries would be able to monitor the voltage for you and warn you of an unhealthy cell.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

For $89 a pop though, you think these batteries would be able to monitor the voltage for you and warn you of an unhealthy cell.
DJI GO sometimes shows alerts when battery cells are damaged. It never hurts to double-check yourself before takeoff though.

Reactions: AyeYo
Jesus, Mary and Joseph[emoji102][emoji15] Can you imagine your little [emoji211] dropping dead....from a dead battery. I'm sweating thinking about it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am using the mavic for fun on weekends, no flights in the weekdays. Now i have 3 batteries and I store them with 50% of charge, is it ok?

Reactions: MavicProMX

Hey msinger I have 1 question on this i have two batteries and one battery is volts 12.1 with cells at 4.1..... volts and my older battery is at 11.9 volts with cells at like 3.8, 3.9 so my question is the battery dying? or is this normal? Thanks again

As far as I know this batteries can warn you if the health is not good enough to be used , i think I read something about it in DJI website.

It's important to monitor the battery voltage in each cell of the DJI smart battery. Be aware of the following:

1) Monitor the battery to ensure all cells maintain a similar voltage.
2) Do not allow any of the battery cells to drop below 3.3V.
3) Consider landing your Mavic when (or before) the first battery cell reaches 3.4V.
4) Your battery will shut off mid-flight if the voltage drops below 3.0V.

You can display the voltage of the lowest battery cell on the main screen of the DJI GO application. To do so, enable the "Show Voltage On Main Screen" setting in the "Aircraft Battery" --> "Advanced Settings" section of the DJI GO settings.

View attachment 1007

View attachment 1008

Once enabled, the lowest battery cell voltage will appear at the top, right of the DJI GO application -- like this:

View attachment 1009

In the "Remote Controller Settings" section of the DJI GO settings, you can set either C1 or C2 to "Battery Info" to quickly open/close the battery settings.

View attachment 1010

Below is an example that shows a battery that has a consistent voltage in each battery cell.

View attachment 1011

And, here's an example that shows a damaged battery:

View attachment 1012

It's important to ensure your battery is in good health prior to takeoff. Flying with a battery that has one or more bad cells could cause the battery to discharge very quickly and/or your Mavic to shut off mid-flight and drop from the sky.

I did notice in the first picture as well your voltage is a 11.3 and your cells are at 3.75 is that battery going out as well? or is it just because the battery is low?

As far as I know this batteries can warn you if the health is not good enough to be used , i think I read something about it in DJI website.

Yeah i thought so to, just notice different cell life between my batteries... and wondering if i just need to charge them up? or they just go bad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots