DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to pass the Part 107: the (kinda) free way

CrossQuads

Reactions
I have seen a few users on here trying to pass the Part 107 test for their Unmanned Aircraft license with some success. But the information seems to be very spread out. I am going to try to consolidate all the information I needed to pass with a 88 with 1 week of heavy studying. So buckle your seat belts, because it could get a little bumpy.

FIRST: What type of learner are you? Auditory? Visual? Kinematic? If you have to read the material in order to learn it, this guide isn't for you. This is geared mainly towards those who are visual and auditory learners.

Now, this test is mainly common sense. You could probably get 50% or 60% with just basic knowledge and some thinking. BUT that was for my test. The questions are pulled from a bank of about 300, so you could get some hard stuff.

Where to start: Now I have been in the hobby for about 10 years. I watch Youtube during my free time about this stuff. I pretty much live and breathe RC. That means I am already predisposed to some of this info. Now if the words stall, lift, or CG mean nothing to you, you might be in for a harder time then most. So do this:

Secret Sauce: download the Remote Pilot app on the app store. Its like $5 and has 250 questions. Most of my questions on the test were covered from this app. It gives fairly decent information on why a certain answer is correct. Yes it cost money, but its SO worth it. Just dont eat out for a meal and it will pay for itself

So after you have that app, just take a test. Yes, you know nothing. But its a good gauge to see how far you have to go. For me, I scored a 64 on my first test. But I got luckly and had not that many METAR's and TAF's as questions.

So with that app, just practice learning the concepts on why a certain answer is right or wrong. Honestly, with just that app you might could pass the test. But I needed more.

Videos:

Youtube is a wonderful thing. It can make backyard rednecks become rocket scientist in 5 minutes, or in our case, unmanned aircraft pilots. So first, you need to learn the format of the test. I know its long, but it provides a GREAT overview of the Part 107 test.

So, you got your feet wet. Now you know whether or not you bit off more then you can chew. From here, we can go more in depth. What did you struggle with the most? For me, METAR's and TAF's are the bane of my existence.

Metar help:

TAF help:

Now this assumes you have so decent weather knowledge. Though my test only had 3 questions on weather, spending 30 minutes learning it more in depth could be the difference between a pass or fail for you.

Here are 3 videos that go more in depth on weather:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3: UAS Pilot Tutorial 5: Weather Theory (Part 3 of 3)

So now we got weather and METAR/TAF down. Those are the hardest part for me. If you need more practice. Just lookup METAR or TAF on youtube and watch those videos.

In the app, go practice the weather questions under the study tab until you can consistently make 80% or higher. When you click an answer, it will highlight in red or green. If its red, record on a piece a paper that you go a question wrong so you can get you score at the end.

So now, the second big beast: VFR sectionals. These things can be a real pain. So lets get some basic knowledge down.

This first: UAS Pilot Tutorial 1: Airspace

Then this: Remote Pilot Knowledge Test: Airspace Overview

So with a basic overview of what airspace is, now we must learn how to read it.

Basic Sectional Overview: Ground School: How to read a VFR Sectional Chart | Basic Chart/Map Knowledge

Another resource: Understanding Airspace For The FAA Part 107 Knowledge Test - Remote Pilot 101

So with that, try some more questions in the app. NOTE: When taking the test, you get a handbook with a handy dandy key with all the airspaces labeled. The app doesnt show you that. So you may need to reference it sometimes. Here it is
legend-c0f09e626b554ae9dd11215f7fe02252b01936855ef509559ab2b94decb8274d.png

That is considered sacred text for this test and should be used during the test, even if you think you know the answer.

So with the information so far, you are becoming dangerous. You might could pass the test already, but what does more practice hurt?

So the fun part. Your first long practice test. 3DR robotics, though they make sucky drones, has a great practice. FAA Drone Exam Online Practice Tests | 3DR Site Scan - Commercial Drone Platform

Sit down for an hour or two, away from distractions, and try this test. Record how many you miss. If you are scoring in the 80's or 90's on this test. Go into the app and try EVERY question in the app. If you are scoring the same in the app (80's or 90's) then I would say you are ready.

Now for some, they may need more. Here are some more videos, that are really long, but should help with passing the test. Even if you feel you are ready, I would recommend watching these.

Practice Part 107 Knowledge Test - Remote Pilot 101

Ground School: Advanced Sectional Chart Knowledge | VFR Map

This helped me with class E airspace: Class E Airspace - Where The Heck Does It Start?

Remote Pilot Knowledge Test: Solutions to Practice Questions

Conclusions: With all this information stored in your head, you deserve a *insert beverage of choice* - Congrats. Now if you are score consistently high on your practice test, go take it for real. On test day, i would recommend not studying. It will confuse you and cause unneeded anxiety should you forget something. Go in there, breathe, and just put what you know.

Wow! Thank you so much for this! It must have taken quite a bit of time and effort. It is really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This is great. Thanks for sharing! I passed the test a couple weeks ago. Spent a month of my free time during work studying maps, taking practice exams and watching YouTube. The 3DR practice test was very helpful for me. I didn't pay for any additional resources. Take some time to study, know your sectional charts!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll