msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Using Airmap to Request FAA Authorization

Before flying in controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E Surface) in the US, you must get authorization from the FAA. Airmap is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier and has a feature built into their iOS/Android app that allows FAA authorization to be requested through LAANC. In most cases, requests can be submitted and approved within a few minutes.

Steps to Request FAA Authorization with Airmap

Follow these steps to request FAA authorization for a flight you’d like to take right now or at some point in the near future:

1) Install the Airmap app from the app store on your iOS or Android mobile device.

full

2) Tap the avatar icon at the top, left corner and log into your Airmap account.

full

3) At the bottom, left corner, choose the type of flight you’re going to take (Recreational or Part 107).

full

4) Drag the map to the location where you’d like to fly – and then tap and hold the map in the location where you’d like to take off. That should create an orange circle on the map. This orange circle represents the area where you’re going to stay within during your flight.

Tap and drag the “Radius” slider to increase/decrease the flying area.

full

If you’re flying area is not a perfect circle, you can use the other tools in the toolbar on the right to map out the flying area by drawing the flight path or draw a non circular area on the map.

full

After setting your flight area, tap “Next” at the top, right.

5) Enter your flight plan details and tap the “Next” button.

full

6) Tap the “Submit Flight” button at the bottom to submit your flight plan for authorization.

full

7) You’ll receive a text message when your flight has been authorized. This normally takes no longer than a minute after your flight plan has been submitted.

full

Last edited:
You made it seem soooo simple. I have been using AIRMAP for some time for my planning and LAANC permissions. I know, I would have greatly oversimplified an explanation of how to use. KISS!

Reactions: msinger
Thank you for the tutorial I saw the update to airmap on the 23rd and took a quick look but hadn't tried to submit for authorization. Since the change in rules, almost no where I want to fly is in controlled airspace where as before most of the areas around me were within 5 miles of many small airports. The new rules have really opened up my flight options. That said there are a couple places I want to fly withing controlled airspace under the new rules and this will make it much easier to do so!

Thanks!!!

Reactions: dawgpilot
Using Airmap to Request FAA Authorization

Before flying in controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E Surface) in the US, you must get authorization from the FAA. Airmap is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier and has a feature built into their iOS/Android app that allows FAA authorization to be requested through LAANC. In most cases, requests can be submitted and approved within a few minutes.

Steps to Request FAA Authorization with Airmap

Follow these steps to request FAA authorization for a flight you’d like to take right now or at some point in the near future:

1) Install the Airmap app from the app store on your iOS or Android mobile device.

full

2) Tap the avatar icon at the top, left corner and log into your Airmap account.

full

3) At the bottom, left corner, choose the type of flight you’re going to take (Recreational or Part 107).

full

4) Drag the map to the location where you’d like to fly – and then tap and hold the map in the location where you’d like to take off. That should create an orange circle on the map. This orange circle represents the area where you’re going to stay within during your flight.

Tap and drag the “Radius” slider to increase/decrease the flying area.

full

If you’re flying area is not a perfect circle, you can use the other tools in the toolbar on the right to map out the flying area by drawing the flight path or draw a non circular area on the map.

full

After setting your flight area, tap “Next” at the top, right.

5) Enter your flight plan details and tap the “Next” button.

full

6) Tap the “Submit Flight” button at the bottom to submit your flight plan for authorization.

full

7) You’ll receive a text message when your flight has been authorized. This normally takes no longer than a minute after your flight plan has been submitted.

full
Mike, Nice job on these instructions. I followed them for my flying area and received authorization. Great job. Thanks!

Perhaps post a PDF version on your MavicHelp/PhantomHelp page
I'm working on adding this information in a few places there.

Sorry to be redundant but I also want to thank you for this tutorial. It was long overdue in coming.I have wrestled with this AirMap app for a long time. This brief tutorial really helped me figure it out.

Can you fly in a special use air space and how to get permission to fly in that air space

Can you fly in a special use air space and how to get permission to fly in that air space

I explained in your other thread that Alert areas do not require authorization.

It should be noted that there are actually two options for flight time: when flight starts, default Now, and flight duration. The dialogue is misleading, causing most to interpret duration as start time.

I just did went to the area I’m wanting to fly I didn’t submit cause it’s saying no air space is available, avoid flying in restricted special air space unless you have permission

That is referring to Restricted special use air space. (where flight is prohibited) The area you were talking about previously is actually an Alert area special use air space, where authorization is not required.

Yep, this app isn’t user-friendly or intuitive. When I submit my request it comes back with

"No airspace authorization is available“

It then goes to a Airmap screen with a timer on it. Can someone please explain this too me?

Yep, this app isn’t user-friendly or intuitive. When I submit my request it comes back with

It then goes to a Airmap screen with a timer on it. Can someone please explain this too me?

Are you actually in controlled airspace?

(if you post the location you are trying to fly in here, we can take a look)

Last edited:
It sounds like you're trying to fly in a location where you're not allowed to fly (like a military zone) or a location where authorization is not required (Class G airspace).

It then goes to a Airmap screen with a timer on it
The timer is recording the length of time for your flight. Click "END FLIGHT" below the timer to end the flight if you're not going to fly.

This could be because of regulatory rules to prevent flying. However if AirMap gives you the timer it’s because no authorization is needed... and so is unavailable... in the latter case you’re good to go for the time you entered.

However if AirMap gives you the timer it’s because no authorization is needed
That's not necessarily true since that will also happen if you attempt to start a flight in a no fly zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22