DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOW TO - Self Unlock Certificate

Dakarenduro

Reactions
I see this question come up from time to time and thought a quick how to might help future pilots. The DJI Fly Safe unlock process is a little confusing at first but works quite well in my experience.

There are 3 methods to receive an unlock certificate.
1. Self Unlocking in advance which provides a 3 day flight window. (Via website)
2. Custom Unlocking in advance which provides a 'custom' flight window (example- 6 months, 12 months). (Via website)
3. Self Unlocking via Go4 app during a flight and provides a 24 hour unlock. (Via Go4 app)

Note- the web application must be done on a desktop browser. You can do it from your mobile phone or tablet, just select Desktop mode in the browser.

Self Unlocking in advance #1
1. Navigate to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
2. Login to your DJI account.
3. Select your location then be sure the Self Unlock tab is selected.
20200704_082928.jpg
4. Select your DJI aircraft model type, then navigate the map window to the area you want to unlock (you should see the airport on the map).
20200704_083217.jpg
5. Now click on the airport icon for the one you want to unlock.
20200704_083429.jpg
6. Scroll down the page and you will see the airport data has automatically been filled in, now you must enter your drone's RC serial number and select the date range then click SUBMIT.
20200704_085230.jpg
6. A disclaimer will pop up, you must ACCEPT it.
20200704_083652.jpg
7. You must Accept the two condition boxes stating you are allowed to fly in that area, then click PROCEED.
20200704_083910.jpg
8. Select the method for verification- MOBILE or CREDIT CARD.
20200704_084054.jpg
9. Enter your mobile phone number and country, agree to the checkbox and press SEND.
20200704_084310.jpg
10. Usually within 20 seconds you will receive a text message with a 6 digit number code. Enter this code into the VERIFICATION CODE field and press PROCEED.
20200704_084539.jpg
11. That is all! You have succesfully created your unlock certificate. Press PROCEED.
20200704_084708.jpg

Custom Unlocking in advance #2
Coming soon...

Self Unlocking via Go4 App #3
Coming soon...

How to import the unlock license to your drone and fly

Note- whatever device you are using to run Go4 app (mobile, tablet, ipad, SC) must have an internet connection in order to download the new license. Once downloaded you can put the device back on Airplane mode if you prefer to fly that way.

1. Start the drone. Start the remote controller. Open the Go4 app.
2. From the top of the app, select the upper right three dots to pull up the settings menu.
20200704_091727.png
3. Scroll down in the General Settings menu until you see UNLOCKING LICENSE. Select it.

4. The list may have other licenses, valid or expired already displayed, but select REFRESH (Sync in older version).
20200704_091137.png
5. Now you will see the new license you just downloaded. Select the IMPORT TO AIRCRAFT option.
20200704_092256.jpg
6. Now select the AIRCRAFT tab. This will show you the licenses on the aircraft. Flip the toggle on the correct one to enable it.
20200704_092417.jpg
7. Go back to the main flight window in Go4 and you should be ready to fly!

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Wow, what a pain!

DJI FLY prompts you to check three boxes... Then you good
The process for the Mavic Air2 and Mini (Dji FLY app devices) is the exact same process. (For the 3 day advance unlock.)

Very handy for people that are going to a site and check in advance and want to pre-authorize that area. Avoiding the "i went to XXX and found out it was locked and didnt have a data connection to unlock..."

The in app process - either for DJI GO4 or FLY works very quickly but is only available with an internet connection and is only valid for 24 hours.

Note- If you are unfortunate to live/fly in a Authorization Zone area, then the easiest method is to do a custom unlock for a one year period. Then you never worry about it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
How accurate is DJI's info ?
This is a screenshot from their self unlocking page
1593868382953.png
And this is a second screenshot of the same area clicking on the yellow pin in the above photo
1593868296999.png
I find it interesting that all I would have to do is move a few feet and stand next to another runway in Class D airspace and be able to fly without authorization.
Wonder what the Air Force and airport manager would say ?

Hi! Is there any way to do the self unlocking from my phone? Suppose you forgot to unlock a zone and you are in site, can you use some mobile app (like chrome, or other) and do the process?

Hi! Is there any way to do the self unlocking from my phone? Suppose you forgot to unlock a zone and you are in site, can you use some mobile app (like chrome, or other) and do the process?

See original post:

" Note- the web application must be done on a desktop browser. You can do it from your mobile phone or tablet, just select Desktop mode in the browser."

I see this question come up from time to time and thought a quick how to might help future pilots. The DJI Fly Safe unlock process is a little confusing at first but works quite well in my experience.

There are 3 methods to receive an unlock certificate.
1. Self Unlocking in advance which provides a 3 day flight window. (Via website)
2. Custom Unlocking in advance which provides a 'custom' flight window (example- 6 months, 12 months). (Via website)
3. Self Unlocking via Go4 app during a flight and provides a 24 hour unlock. (Via Go4 app)

Note- the web application must be done on a desktop browser. You can do it from your mobile phone or tablet, just select Desktop mode in the browser.

Self Unlocking in advance #1
1. Navigate to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
2. Login to your DJI account.
3. Select your location then be sure the Self Unlock tab is selected.
View attachment 106792
4. Select your DJI aircraft model type, then navigate the map window to the area you want to unlock (you should see the airport on the map).
View attachment 106793
5. Now click on the airport icon for the one you want to unlock.
View attachment 106794
6. Scroll down the page and you will see the airport data has automatically been filled in, now you must enter your drone's RC serial number and select the date range then click SUBMIT.
View attachment 106801
6. A disclaimer will pop up, you must ACCEPT it.
View attachment 106795
7. You must Accept the two condition boxes stating you are allowed to fly in that area, then click PROCEED.
View attachment 106796
8. Select the method for verification- MOBILE or CREDIT CARD.
View attachment 106797
9. Enter your mobile phone number and country, agree to the checkbox and press SEND.
View attachment 106798
10. Usually within 20 seconds you will receive a text message with a 6 digit number code. Enter this code into the VERIFICATION CODE field and press PROCEED.
View attachment 106799
11. That is all! You have succesfully created your unlock certificate. Press PROCEED.
View attachment 106800

Custom Unlocking in advance #2
Coming soon...

Self Unlocking via Go4 App #3
Coming soon...

How to import the unlock license to your drone and fly

Note- whatever device you are using to run Go4 app (mobile, tablet, ipad, SC) must have an internet connection in order to download the new license. Once downloaded you can put the device back on Airplane mode if you prefer to fly that way.

1. Start the drone. Start the remote controller. Open the Go4 app.
2. From the top of the app, select the upper right three dots to pull up the settings menu.
View attachment 106804
3. Scroll down in the General Settings menu until you see UNLOCKING LICENSE. Select it.

4. The list may have other licenses, valid or expired already displayed, but select REFRESH (Sync in older version).
View attachment 106803
5. Now you will see the new license you just downloaded. Select the IMPORT TO AIRCRAFT option.
View attachment 106805
6. Now select the AIRCRAFT tab. This will show you the licenses on the aircraft. Flip the toggle on the correct one to enable it.
View attachment 106807
7. Go back to the main flight window in Go4 and you should be ready to fly!
Regarding Self Unlocking in advance #1, Step 5: It doesn't work! I click on the pin and nothing happens! | Step 6: I get a red error message saying "The serial number must be in alphanumeric characters only," when it is alphanumeric characters and I tried typing it FIVE TIMES! I've tried restarting browser AND computer, clearing caches, using different browser, all to no avail! Here's a link to a screen share—maybe it will make more sense than my text here...!

Click on an airport, not the pin. see what happens. (click on another airport shaded circle)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98