DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to snap pictures while recording?

I don’t know why it can’t but it is fairly straightforward to grab a single frame from a video recording using basic video editing software. Granted, the resolution won’t be quite as high.

Is it really not possible to take pictures while recording? Phones can do it. Why can't DJI and Mini 2?
It's not possible and your phone is just giving you a frame grab from the video, like you can do foryourself with drone video.
A frame grab isn't going to be as good as a proper still, but might be good enough if you aren't looking for the full quality you can get shooting stills.

Alternatively you can stop recording, snap the shot, start recording again, then splice the two videos together.

Reactions: DanD2
The P4P has the behavior you are seeking, but as everyone has stated, it's still only a video frame grab, just like on phones that offer it.

"You absolutely can on a Phantom 4 Pro, take pictures while in video, mode simply by tapping the right side button on the remote. The size of the picture is limited to the video resolution however. So it’s recommended you stop the video and shoot in camera mode for a full size image."

See post #12 in thread below:

"You absolutely can on a Phantom 4 Pro, take pictures while in video, mode simply by tapping the right side button on the remote.
See post #12 in thread below:
Some guy suggested that three years ago on DJI's forum.
But my P4 pro won't do it today.
Even if it did, it would just be a frame grab from the video.

Some guy suggested that three years ago on DJI's forum.
But my P4 pro won't do it today.
Even if it did, it would just be a frame grab from the video.
Agreed, it's kind of a useless capability. Better to select the best video still frame yourself in post. I do personally remember it was possible on some earlier DJI aircraft, perhaps only in DJI GO. The P4P, like the original Mavic Pro, is uniquely capable of still using both the original DJI GO app and the newer, but now apparently abandoned, GO 4 app. Everything released in the last year now requires the new FLY app. May I assume you are using the newer GO 4 app with your P4P?

Also, consider the speed at which you take the photo. With an actuial photo, you'll typically get a higher shutter speed, so even if you're moving, your subject will hopefully be tack sharp. If you just use a frame grab from the video while flying fast, the shutter speed is probably going to be 1/30th of a second (when shooting 30 frames per second) so everything is going to be a bit soft-focus, or worse.

I think everyone is perhaps missing the point here. Frame grabs are nowhere near the same quality as raw photo files, which I assume is what we might be looking for in this case.

Can't do much with frames from an editing point of view, unless someone has a solution for converting frames grabs to DNG?

Reactions: ckoerner
I know this sounds to simple but this is what I do to get a photo from video with my Mini 2. As I’m playing it back on my phone I just take a screen shot of what I want. Simple enough?

Reactions: dozzn and MikeDo3s
I think everyone is perhaps missing the point here. Frame grabs are nowhere near the same quality as raw photo files, which I assume is what we might be looking for in this case.

Can't do much with frames from an editing point of view, unless someone has a solution for converting frames grabs to DNG?
Why do you have to convert to DNG? Almost any editing program can work with JPG grabs from video. If you are referring to the additional dynamic range of a DNG or other RAW file, then true, but you can edit any photo file with the appropriate software.

Is it really not possible to take pictures while recording? Phones can do it. Why can't DJI and Mini 2?
I know right? Phones have been able to do that for years. To those that say stop the recording and take a picture and start recording again, When I'm shooting a fast moving train i want to record the engines passing by and take a picture. if i stop the recording then the video is ruined because the engines won't be in the video. I mostly use my drone for train pictures and videos. It really sucks DJI doesn't implement this very important feature.

I know right? Phones have been able to do that for years. To those that say stop the recording and take a picture and start recording again, When I'm shooting a fast moving train i want to record the engines passing by and take a picture. if i stop the recording then the video is ruined because the engines won't be in the video. I mostly use my drone for train pictures and videos. It really sucks DJI doesn't implement this very important feature.
I like trains...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots