DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to stop propellor flicker in the sun?

Matt8900

Reactions
so I've been noticing more and more recently when watching back my footage that is there is any glare from the sun, I seem to get flicker from the propellers and the sun.

Obviously pointing away from the sun or pointing the gimbal down slightly normally eliminates this. But I was wondering if there are any video settings that I am missing which will eliminate this without moving the camera?
Alot of the time it completely ruins the shot having to position the camera in a different way.

I know what you mean, it is a nasty thing and totally ruines the footage. This happens when you are flying towards the sun with the sun low on the horizon. It is the shadows from the front props that are causing the flicker and you there is no way you can fix that in the camera settings. You just have to prevent it from happening by adjusting the gimbal position (which you already are aware of) or changing the orientation of the drone such that the shadows from the front props fall away from the camera. If you can't change the direction of the drone, reducing your speed sometimes helps since the more the drone tilts forward, the more noticable the flicker becomes; flying backwards is actually better in this regard since the drone will be tilted back. Using an ND filter may also help since it will lower your shutter speed and make the flicker a lot less noticeable. But I would say the best strategy is to adjust the drone's orientation such that you are not dealing with this issue at all.

Reactions: dirkclod
so I've been noticing more and more recently when watching back my footage that is there is any glare from the sun, I seem to get flicker from the propellers and the sun.

Obviously pointing away from the sun or pointing the gimbal down slightly normally eliminates this. But I was wondering if there are any video settings that I am missing which will eliminate this without moving the camera?
Alot of the time it completely ruins the shot having to position the camera in a different way.
you really should not be seeing prop shadow unless you are flying fairly fast,what you can do as well is switch off the gimbal setting that allows the gimbal to go past level and look up
also try a camera shade that fits over the gimbal ,and also a ND filter can help as well

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Usually footage shooting towards the sun isn't too good anyway.
Some little glare effects can add something in short segments, but in general you'll get the best footage when the sun is behind you.
Editing out prop shadows in the final footage is the last ditch method to not see them ;)

Usually footage shooting towards the sun isn't too good anyway.
Some little glare effects can add something in short segments, but in general you'll get the best footage when the sun is behind you.
Editing out prop shadows in the final footage is the last ditch method to not see them ;)

It's not only then. Even with the sun from behind you can get flicker. Have never understood why :)
Example:

that is definately prop shadow ,as i said before try lowering the camera use a ND filter and try a different recording setting

It's not only then. Even with the sun from behind you can get flicker. Have never understood why :)
Example:

1:00 is about the clear line where the shadows start and stop in various directions to the camera, throughout the video.
The sun is clearly in the front right side there, and props shadows appear as expected on the left of video.
When facing directly into, or with the sun behind the drone, there are no shadows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851