DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to stop recording video to take a picture?

wrybread

Reactions
As the title says I often want to stop video recording to take a picture. I'm wondering if there's some clever way to do that without stopping video recording, switching to photo mode, taking a pic, switching back to video mode and resuming video recording?

Currently that's my method but then I wind up with a lot of split raw video files. I made a Python script to losslessly stitch them together, but I'd much rather avoid the issue entirely and just take a pic while recording video.

Is that possible by chance?

As the title says I often want to stop video recording to take a picture. I'm wondering if there's some clever way to do that without stopping video recording, switching to photo mode, taking a pic, switching back to video mode and resuming video recording?

Currently that's my method but then I wind up with a lot of split raw video files. I made a Python script to losslessly stitch them together, but I'd much rather avoid the issue entirely and just take a pic while recording video.

Whilst flying my Air 2S with the RC Pro controller and recording, if I push the picture button, it acts like it's taking a picture but I haven't checked to see what it does. I'll have to pull the card and check.

no. it's one or the other, period. hope I'm wrong...anyone actually able to do this?

Many recording in 4K will simply pull a suitable frame from the video if they want to run a still of a scene in the video briefly etc, but of course the drone footage needs to be stable / stopped, as steady as possible, and the photo won't be the highest quality.
So it depends on the needs, for social media or similar it'd probably do fine.

Cafguy: No I just click the normal upper left video button on my RC pro controller to begin video; then when I want to take a photo, I click the red video button on the right side of the screen to turn off the video, then click the normal upper right photo button to take the photo, then if I want to resume video, again the normal upper left video button. It works for me.

Cafguy: No I just click the normal upper left video button on my RC pro controller to begin video; then when I want to take a photo, I click the red video button on the right side of the screen to turn off the video, then click the normal upper right photo button to take the photo, then if I want to resume video, again the normal upper left video button. It works for me.

It makes more sense to take the highest grade of photo just like this.
Even if some pilots take video in one continuous take, editing footage later to remove unwanted sections and 'blips' with gimbal turns etc, you can simply put a little transition in there to hide the short break.

The only way it may work is automatic flight, and programme when to video and when to take photo Then restart the video. Not ideal but may be one solution. I just tried to create a mission and it works

Last edited:
How many pilots do entire flight one shot scenes though, at least to post to YouTube or whatever ?
Maybe for those long relaxation type videos you can play on the TV.

2 ways to fly and take video . . .

Shoot one continual shot from take off to landing, edit out / down to remove unnecessary footage and gimbal blips etc.
Or, shoot short clips as you find them, making for smaller files and editing a little easier later.

If it's the one segment total video you do, it's not too hard to stop, swap to camera, take your higher quality shot, resume video and move on.
A simple transition to join the video is same as editing out stuff you don't want.
After all, they say short scenes work best to hold attention, sometimes very short seconds, to say 15 - 20 seconds.

As the title says I often want to stop video recording to take a picture. I'm wondering if there's some clever way to do that without stopping video recording,

Not with your DJI drone.
Very few cameras can do this and those that can are expensive.

if you hold the drone in the same position , you can start video after the photo has been. And then join the clips later. I’m sure DJI go will allow this

if you hold the drone in the same position , you can start video after the photo has been. And then join the clips later. I’m sure DJI go will allow this

That's what I do now, it just takes a bunch of post processing that I'm trying to avoid if possible.

And often I do wind up moving the drone slightly when it reframes the camera to take a pic, and then the splice point is visible in the combined video.

Would be nice if I could "bookmark" the drone's position when I pause video recording, then take pics, then return to that bookmarked position to resume video shooting.

Interesting. I don't think the Mini 3 Pro can do automated flight, right? But on models with automated flight is it possible to pause the video and take a picture and then resume the video (as a single video file)?
No .. very few cameras are capable of that and those that can are expensive.
It's not possible with any DJI camera.

No .. very few cameras are capable of that and those that can are expensive.
It's not possible with any DJI camera.

I know, just putting it out there with hopes that they'll add it. Seems like such an easy feature to implement, just gps position plus ptz coordinates of camera. Would be so useful for so many reasons.

Is it even possible for any camera aperture to take video and a photo simultaneously ?
They would be running all sorts of different settings, wouldn't they ?

Unless there were 2 separate cameras, that could be operated independently for each process.
I'm not even sure if something like the M3 can do that with its normal and zoom camera, pretty sure that is one or the other too.

What I do.................run the video on my desktop, pause when I see what I want a shot of, use the snipping tool to "cut" a picture.

Reactions: finity
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent