DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to take care of batteries for Longtime

Lutson

Reactions
Hello All of the seniors Pilots, i need your advice,

I have Business trip For 1 or 2 months ahead go to other city. And i can't bring my Drone, so i will save it in my house.

Question : how to best way care of the Battery & Drone for long time no flight (before we save it in Cupboard)

Kind Regards
Lutson MA2 Pilot

Last edited:
Hi Lufton,

I am not a senior member but I have been in the RC world for a while. The best tip I have been given for Mavic Series (Mavic and M2) Batteries is to discharge or charge depending on the case to have 2 green lights solid and the the third light flashing. Then store it preferably in a LiPo Battery Bag. It is best not to store it fully charged (if you can help it) and more importantly never let the battery be fully depleted and then store it. You may run the risk of the battery igniting during storage or you may never be able to charge the LiPo battery again, well at least conventionally. This is when the battery is out of its stable voltage range and chemistry is least stable and for the purpose of longevity a LiPo battery should never be fully depleted and all reasonable devices will have low voltage cut-offs. Or in the Mavic series a peaceful low battery warning. Some users only fly down to around 40% capacity left in the battery. But this can take the some of the fun out and maybe unavoidable depending on how you fly. Just remember if you change or modify the battery warning settings. Another good idea is to number and use a rotation system to evenly use and charge your batteries. Some examples of battery management systems are also on this forum (log books, excel etc). Finally excessive heat and to much moisture will damage the batteries. Allow you batteries to cool before charging and store in a dry place. You can use U, use silica satchels if you want to trap and collect any excessive moisture during storage. I use them when I store all sensitive RC electronic devices especially although for hard case LiPos it is probably overkill.

Excellent answer for your first post (you've been Knighted, lol) I also am from the RC world ,welcome friend!

Reactions: Lutson
Hi Lufton,

I am not a senior member but I have been in the RC world for a while. The best tip I have been given for Mavic Series (Mavic and M2) Batteries is to discharge or charge depending on the case to have 2 green lights solid and the the third light flashing. Then store it preferably in a LiPo Battery Bag. It is best not to store it fully charged (if you can help it) and more importantly never let the battery be fully depleted and then store it. You may run the risk of the battery igniting during storage or you may never be able to charge the LiPo battery again, well at least conventionally. This is when the battery is out of its stable voltage range and chemistry is least stable and for the purpose of longevity a LiPo battery should never be fully depleted and all reasonable devices will have low voltage cut-offs. Or in the Mavic series a peaceful low battery warning. Some users only fly down to around 40% capacity left in the battery. But this can take the some of the fun out and maybe unavoidable depending on how you fly. Just remember if you change or modify the battery warning settings. Another good idea is to number and use a rotation system to evenly use and charge your batteries. Some examples of battery management systems are also on this forum (log books, excel etc). Finally excessive heat and to much moisture will damage the batteries. Allow you batteries to cool before charging and store in a dry place. You can use U, use silica satchels if you want to trap and collect any excessive moisture during storage. I use them when I store all sensitive RC electronic devices especially although for hard case LiPos it is probably overkill.
Thankyou so Much its Really Help Full...
God Bless You... ??

Reactions: Rchawks
I will add one thing to @DarkwarriorAD's excellent post above. If some unforeseen circumstance arises where you are kept out of town for closer to three months or more, or if you are in the future, have someone else trained in recharging the battery packs and then placing them back into storage. They will self discharge down to approximately 60% on their own. DJI recommends to charge the packs at least every three months, as this will help avoid chemical decay within the cells preventing their ability to be re-charged.

all good advice from above just make sure that where you choose to store them does not get hot from outside heat souces and really they should be checked on a monthly basis while they are being stored for state of remaining charge

Reactions: Lutson
You might also consider the Airdata website for a professional management of your batteries and/or drones.

A lot of good info about the battery in the User manual, such as this one on page 26 - "
It is recommended to discharge the Intelligent Flight Batteries to 30% or lower. This can be done by flying the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 30% charge left." The indicator for 25% - 37% is LED 1 solid light and LED 2 flashing.

If I may slide in here for a question kinda similar?
I live in Oregon and you never know when the rain hits..lol

I have two fully charged batts ready to go...then it rains for the next week
they are stored A- in the AIR2 and one sitting in my apache case
lets say in a day or two we get wonderful weather to fly hehehe
am I good to go and is that a ok way to store them?

thank you
Gordon

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143