DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to update Fly app on Mini 3 smart controller?

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Version 1.6.9 of the Fly app has just been released. I've installed it on the tablet I used with the RC-N1 controllers on the other drones. I've started the Mini 3 smart controller several times this morning and flown the Mini 3, but there was no pop-up prompt to install the new fly app version.

Does anyone know how to initiate a Fly app update on the smart controller?

when it comes to the RC it will update directly from DJI once, you have the drone connected go into about and check which app version you are on
its similar to the way 1.6.8 was installed before the recent firmware update
and dont forget that WIFI is disconnected during flight now ,so you have to bring up the screen and enable it, before you can do any sort of update

when it comes to the RC it will update directly from DJI once, you have the drone connected go into about and check which app version you are on
its similar to the way 1.6.8 was installed before the recent firmware update
and dont forget that WIFI is disconnected during flight now ,so you have to bring up the screen and enable it, before you can do any sort of update
Thanks. I agree that it should work that way, but it's not happening.

I've confirmed that wifi is on. When the app starts, there's no pop-up indicating that an update is available. The controller and drone connect and it's all set to fly. I can check for aircraft firmware updates, so I know the connection to the internet is good. The Fly app remains at 1.6.9.

Has anyone had a successful update to 1.6.9? This update doesn't seem to be very significant, but I'd like to understand the update process.

@MS Coast i just checked my RC and it is still on 1.6.8 what device did you do the update on to 1.6.9 was it ios because my I pad has the 1.6.9 app version
dont forget the DJI-RC uses android ,so maybe the 1.6.9 version is not out yet for android
it has been quite normal for android and ios App versions to have different version numbers for a long time ,it could be the case that android misses 1.6.9 and jumps to a different version number,the next time an app update appears

Reactions: PeterPatrick
@MS Coast i just checked my RC and it is still on 1.6.8 what device did you do the update on to 1.6.9 was it ios because my I pad has the 1.6.9 app version
dont forget the DJI-RC uses android ,so maybe the 1.6.9 version is not out yet for android
it has been quite normal for android and ios App versions to have different version numbers for a long time ,it could be the case that android misses 1.6.9 and jumps to a different version number,the next time an app update appears

Thanks, again, OMM. Good thought, but that doesn't explain it. I downloaded the 1.6.9 Android APK from DJI and installed it on my Samsung (Android) tablet.

A DJI rep (next level up from the front-line folks), told me last week that there's no way to install an app on the Mini 3 smart controller using an APK. The new versions are supposed to trigger a pop-up message when you start the app.

well it will be interesting to see when the RC controller does tell us an App update is available
and also what the version number turns out to be
but in the meantime,i would not worry about it,i flew my Mini 1 with the 1.6.9 app on my I pad and the Mini 3 pro with 1.6.8 on my RC and they both flew with no issues

well it will be interesting to see when the RC controller does tell us an App update is available
and also what the version number turns out to be
but in the meantime,i would not worry about it,i flew my Mini 1 with the 1.6.9 app on my I pad and the Mini 3 pro with 1.6.8 on my RC and they both flew with no issues

It's the update process with the smart controller I'm thinking of rather than this particular update. I flew the Mavic 3 and the Mini 2 on 1.6.9 today, and the Mini 3 on 1.6.8. All good, like your experience.

Reactions: old man mavic
New versions of the DJI FLY app, will come only with the DJI RC firmware update, it is not possible to update directly from the app, as happens with RC-N1 and smatphone

New versions of the DJI FLY app, will come only with the DJI RC firmware update, it is not possible to update directly from the app, as happens with RC-N1 and smatphone
Is that from DJI? It doesn't make sense that an update to the Fly would have to wait for an update to the controller firmware before it's installed. The Fly app is updated far more often than the controller firmwares.

Is that from DJI? It doesn't make sense that an update to the Fly would have to wait for an update to the controller firmware before it's installed. The Fly app is updated far more often than the controller firmwares.
The DJI RC is a whole different beast regarding the Fly app. :/

DJI tech support said they were forwarding my question to the engineers, but went on to say that the Fly app on the Mini 3 smart controller cannot be updated independently. An update will be made only when there is an update to the firmware for the controller.

I thought that refreshing the controller firmware via DJI Assistant 2 might prompt a Fly app update. Nope.

Making Fly updates contingent on a controller firmware update just doesn't make sense.

if that's the case, then they should push out a firmware update for the sole purpose of updating the fly app.

if that's the case, then they should push out a firmware update for the sole purpose of updating the fly app.
Right. Though, they haven't done that in the current case with 1.6.9.

They must have a reason for doing an update that way, but it's not apparent. So, on this controller only, users who hear of an update to the fly app will have to wait for a new controller firmware to be released and then update the Fly app by updating the controller firmware, even though the new version of the controller firmware is identical to the previous version. That won't be a bit confusing.

look fellow flyers ,what you have to remember with App updates is quite often they are drone model specific , and not every drone model reaps any benefit from every particular App update
when DJI thinks that our RC controllers are in need of a fly App update, then we will be asked to do it when we first turn on the RC, until then,lets just enjoy the MINI 3 pro with the RC controller ,

Reactions: John48 and KLRSKIR
Version 1.6.9 of the Fly app has just been released. I've installed it on the tablet I used with the RC-N1 controllers on the other drones. I've started the Mini 3 smart controller several times this morning and flown the Mini 3, but there was no pop-up prompt to install the new fly app version.

Does anyone know how to initiate a Fly app update on the smart controller?
Like on the original SmartController updates comes out long time after IOS and Android versions are updated. Dji never rewarded the clients buying the expensive remotes with early updates. Strange business model.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Like on the original SmartController updates comes out long time after IOS and Android versions are updated. Dji never rewarded the clients buying the expensive remotes with early updates. Strange business model.
Yeah, eventhough it is still annoying to some extent, with the RC the money you additionally spent is manageable (relatively speaking), but think of the RC Pro for beyond 1,000 Euros and this behaviour.

I had the SC, still like it but ever felt let down for what DJI said and ultimately delivered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser