DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to use polarized Lens

redserv

Reactions
Hello guys, I live i the Caribbean islands where its mostly sunny. I like will to use my Polar Pro ND32 Filter. Because I have the mavic Pro 1 Platinum, I am never sure how to put this ND filter on the correct orientation. can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PolarPro ND32 PL.jpg
    PolarPro ND32 PL.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: NOLADG
Hello guys, I live i the Caribbean islands where its mostly sunny. I like will to use my Polar Pro ND32 Filter. Because I have the mavic Pro 1 Platinum, I am never sure how to put this ND filter on the correct orientation. can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance.
On the ground before take off carefully hold the filter without touching the lens and orient yourself to the direction your drone will be facing during filming.

Look through the filter and turn it until you find the orientation that darkens the view through the filter the most. Take note of the filter’s orientation and attach the filter to the drone in that orientation. This is your maximum polarization orientation. When you turn your drone to a new direction to film you’d ideally bring the drone back in to re adjust to find the maximum polarization orientation of the filter for the new filming direction, if you don’t you will inevitably have change a of exposure when panning to a new direction if using this method.

You may choose to decrease the amount of polarization if you wish by turning the filter more or less to achieve the desired amount of polarization at your creative discretion.

For general all purpose use where you will be panning in multiple directions during a single take, orient yourself 90 degrees from the sun and find the maximum polarization for that angle. This will give you a medium amount of polarization for the most directions when filming. This is what I do most of the time.

Last edited:
On the ground before take off carefully hold the filter without touching the lens and orient yourself to the direction your drone will be facing during flight.

Look through the filter and turn it until you find the orientation that darkens the view through the filter the most. take note of the filters orientation and attach the filter in that orientation. This your maximum polarization orientation. You may choose to decrease the amount of polarization if you wish at your creative discretion. You you turn your drone to a new direction to film you’d ideally bring the drone back in to re adjust.

For general all purpose use where will be filming in multiple directions during a single take, orient yourself 90 degrees from the sun and find the maximum polarization for that angle. This will give you a medium amount of polarization for all directions when filming. This is what I do most of the time.
Ah thank you very much for that detailed explanation, this is what I needed. I have one question with what you said above.

Look through the filter and turn it until you find the orientation that darkens the view through the filter the most.
Should that be say lighten the view through the filter the most?

Ah thank you very much for that detailed explanation, this is what I needed. I have one question with what you said above.

Look through the filter and turn it until you find the orientation that darkens the view through the filter the most.
Should that be say lighten the view through the filter the most?
No darken. A polarizing filter further reduces the amount of light to the lens when it is properly oriented. Hence why they call them filters.

...and if you're going to be taking imagery across water, look through the filter in the direction of the greatest glare from the water, and dial it in for maximum interference.

Reactions: redserv
No darken. A polarizing filter further reduces the amount of light to the lens when it is properly oriented. Hence why they call them filters.
Ok, got you thank you very much. I think I was doing the opposite before, appreciate you clearing that up for me.

...and if you're going to be taking imagery across water, look through the filter in the direction of the greatest glare from the water, and dial it in for maximum interference.
Thank you

What we really need is a tiny radio controlled motor that could rotate the filter in flight but I guess the chances of that happening are slim to non existant

Reactions: Davros007
What we really need is a tiny radio controlled motor that could rotate the filter in flight but I guess the chances of that happening are slim to non existant

Not going to happen on anything like a Mavic Mini or Mavic Air 2, that's for sure.

Reactions: redserv
Unless you want to align the polarising filter for a particular direction and only fly in that direction, polarising filters are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.

Reactions: Starz
I open my clouds image on my monitor. Take the ND/PL off my drone, hold it up to my eye and rotate it until I'm happy with the results. You can always make your own, or multiple images that mimic your day. But this is a start I've found. Plus in the field the logistics can be challenging:)

Attachments

• polartest.jpg
    polartest.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 18
I open my clouds image on my monitor. Take the ND/PL off my drone, hold it up to my eye and rotate it until I'm happy with the results. You can always make your own, or multiple images that mimic your day. But this is a start I've found. Plus in the field the logistics can be challenging:)
Thank you my friend I will give this a try

I'm not understanding how you'd use an image of clouds on your monitor ro adjust a PL - the light coming from your monitor isn't going to bear any resemblance to the light coming from the sun and bouncing off of clouds or other water.

Where did this idea come from?
For the polariser to work, you have to align it relative to the angle of the sun .... not a picture on your computer.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Ok think I will skip this idea

Where did this idea come from?
For the polariser to work, you have to align it relative to the angle of the sun .... not a picture on your computer.
Just a starting point to understand how it works.
I'm not understanding how you'd use an image of clouds on your monitor ro adjust a PL - the light coming from your monitor isn't going to bear any resemblance to the light coming from the sun and bouncing off of clouds or other water.
Just a starting point to understand how it works.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots