DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How You Fly From Your Vehicle

dirkclod

Reactions
Lately about all i have done is get out for a quick fly from my truck and have just held my controller with my ipad attached.
That got old so just sat it on steering wheel and used a 4'cable .Saw this and got one.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.56.53 PM.png
Now if i didn't use a case it would fit perfect but am having to mod it with a insert i can make easy enough to suit me.
IMG_8137.JPG So far from just trying it i like it for what it cost and can just leave it under my seat .
depending on where the sun is coming from i can go high or low.

IMG_8135.JPGIMG_8136.JPG 3346D935B4F432796F19B7ECE7347EA2.jpeg
Is sturdy enough to touch the screen and me satisfied .

What you guys use if you fly from your vehicle .

IMG_8132.GIF

got to love those teeth Dc

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Can't help you there...never flown from a vehicle...probably won't.

Can't help you there...never flown from a vehicle...probably won't.
Wasn’t asking for help just showing what I was doing
and asked what others did That flew from vehicles.
You know like a show and tell thread.
Thanks for your input though.?

Lately about all i have done is get out for a quick fly from my truck and have just held my controller with my ipad attached.
That got old so just sat it on steering wheel and used a 4'cable .Saw this and got one.

View attachment 97261
Now if i didn't use a case it would fit perfect but am having to mod it with a insert i can make easy enough to suit me.
View attachment 97262 So far from just trying it i like it for what it cost and can just leave it under my seat .

View attachment 97263View attachment 97264 View attachment 97266

View attachment 97265
I have a tray that clips to the bottom of the steering wheel. Works well.

View attachment 97261
View attachment 97262 So far from just trying it i like it for what it cost and can just leave it under my seat .

View attachment 97263View attachment 97264 View attachment 97266

View attachment 97265

Do you have to hold your controller outside the window why flying to avoid interference? How long does it take to acquire satellites?

Reactions: mereflyer
Do you have to hold your controller outside the window why flying to avoid interference? How long does it take to acquire satellites?

That's not how it works, RC uses phone data for GPS. Aircraft flies outside so no issue there. Consequence of flying in a vehicle is a slightly reduced range. However, you can mitigate this by modding your RC and connecting it to roof mounted omni antennas, throw in a booster and you'll see some serious range

No I hold it in truck and set drone out so no more time than usual on satellites

Reactions: Vapor069
I use a dashboard set up for my IPAD with an extended cable attached and just fly from inside the truck. No interference from the cab. However there are internal controller mods that extends the antennas but its most likely more trouble than its worth.

I've actually been thinking about flying from the car. I'm interested in capturing thunderstorms but it's hard to see the horizon from the ground with all the trees, houses etc. so I'd like to take the MP2 to an empty parking lot, go up about 75 ft, stay within LOS, and let a video run for 15 minutes while I am safely in the car. When it gets too wild, try to quickly land near the car, grab the bird and drive off. When I get home, screen cap the frames I want to keep. So that steering wheel holder might just be ideal.

I've actually been thinking about flying from the car. I'm interested in capturing thunderstorms but it's hard to see the horizon from the ground with all the trees, houses etc. so I'd like to take the MP2 to an empty parking lot, go up about 75 ft, stay within LOS, and let a video run for 15 minutes while I am safely in the car. When it gets too wild, try to quickly land near the car, grab the bird and drive off. When I get home, screen cap the frames I want to keep. So that steering wheel holder might just be ideal.
That’s a good way to do it. I have no issues with signal at
all with my 2 but I do go out just a bit to be shooting the signal through the windshield.

Reactions: lilewis
Been afraid to fly from inside my car, interesting listening to you see how you do.

Reactions: dirkclod
Is easy and did this awhile back for a thread on losing signal
from inside your vehicle. Is a screen record. This was my M2P but watch the signal bars. Was windy but fly there about everyday it’s not
raining to get my weather/ sunsets I tweet to the local weather stations

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent