DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Howdy from Melbourne, Australia

McLiew

Reactions
I am a newly licensed drone pilot with a Mavic 2 Zoom & Mavic Air - still a hobbyist at heart. I got my licence with the intention of doing some voluntary drone work for a hospital with a helipad. A pilot licence is different from an operator's licence. I found out that I still can't fly without an operator's licence in a NFZ unless I have my own or engage with one. Anyone with an idea about going about it properly would be appreciated. I am still learning. I welcome constructive criticism & knowledge sharing.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: McLiew
Welcome to the forum! :)

I am a newly licensed drone pilot with a Mavic 2 Zoom & Mavic Air - still a hobbyist at heart. I got my licence with the intention of doing some voluntary drone work for a hospital with a helipad. A pilot licence is different from an operator's licence. I found out that I still can't fly without an operator's licence in a NFZ unless I have my own or engage with one. Anyone with an idea about going about it properly would be appreciated. I am still learning. I welcome constructive criticism & knowledge sharing.
Hi there

Who did you do your training with - can they make a suggestion? I know many training places offer to do your REOC paperwork for free or a small fee. I did mine with TAFE which was a great course plus a Cert III in Aviation but didn't cover REOC stuff.

If you are doing voluntary work maybe there's a head organisation with a Chief Pilot and a REOC you could fly under, as well as accessing insurance cover. The SES and life saving people use drones so I'm guessing they have some set up. I can't really visualise what you mean by helping the hospital, though. If it's in a city then you're still going to be very restricted.

I think CASA have a list of operators on their website so that might also be a place to identify any relevant operators you could work with.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks grone for your advice. By voluntary work, I meant taking pictures and video clips for my Internal Communications department for training & visual comms, and also carrying out inspection works for my Engineering department. This gives me an opportunity to fly with a purpose.

I have already consulted my trainer and awaiting an answer back from them. Again thanks for your suggestions. It will be good to network with Australian pilots as we share common areas of concern & experience under CASA.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada