DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High altitude props?

ScottHart

Reactions
We live high up in the Rockies and rarely fly below 6000’ ASL. I’ve heard there are high altitude props for the Mini that have a better pitch for the thin air. Can anybody tell me where to find them? I can’t get more than about 18-20 minutes out of a battery.

Last edited:
We live high up in the Rockies and rarely fly below 6000’ ASL. I’ve heard there are high sltitude props for the Mini that have a better pitch for the thin air. Can anybody tell me where to find them? I can’t get more than about 18-20 minutes in a battery.
the max service ceiling for the MM is quoted at 3000 ft above sea level so the fact you can get 18 to 20 minutes flight time at 6000 ft is really quite good ,in the very thin air

We live high up in the Rockies and rarely fly below 6000’ ASL. I’ve heard there are high sltitude props for the Mini that have a better pitch for the thin air. Can anybody tell me where to find them? I can’t get more than about 18-20 minutes in a battery.
I think you'd get more thrust and thus better performance from a higher pitch, but I wouldn't really expect longer battery life -- there's a certain amount of work to be done regardless -- but, living at 6600 feet myself, I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

I am occasionally flying at a similar level, and have not really noticed a significant difference with any of our drones, with the exception of the inspire, which appears to struggle a little at times, its bigger and heavier i guess. I just have standard props on all of them, as its just one place we fly that is really high. We do notice a difference in pitch of the motors/blades, but its only slight and was a discussion point recently. Anyway, i have not seen the high altitude blades for the mini. I have some carbon ones on the way, just as a safer stronger blade, and hope that perfeors well everywhere, as well as in the scottish mountains. I expect you could save miney and have more fun by just buying top quality props and more batteries, thats what i have done for all my drones

the max service ceiling for the MM is quoted at 3000 ft above sea level so the fact you can get 18 to 20 minutes flight time at 6000 ft is really quite good ,in the very thin air
I believe the max altitude is based on where it takes off from, and is cumulative from that point on in space. I recently saw a story on Mt. Everest where they took up a M2P and flew it at that altitude. How cool would that be???!!! Drone footage from Mt. Everest. Just hire me a sherpa to carry all the equipment, carry the O2, and breath for me, and I'm signing up to go.

(with the DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers. They are designed with a larger propeller pitch that increases the copter's propulsion force at altitudes with thinner air. Included is a set of two replacement propellers: one that works clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.
DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers CP.BX.000193 B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com › ... › Shop by Brand › DJI Accessories
)

I believe the max service ceiling is 3000 meters (approx 9800 feet). I was thinking your 3000 feet was wrong cause i live at 4000 feet and have flown the mini without issues.

I believe the max service ceiling is 3000 meters (approx 9800 feet). I was thinking your 3000 feet was wrong cause i live at 4000 feet and have flown the mini without issues.
you are correct my mistake thanks for pointing it out its 3000 m, when i printed out my manual my printer was getting low on black ink towards the end , and some of the writing is not very clear ,and the specs are near the end of the print process

you are correct my mistake thanks for pointing it out its 3000 m, when i printed out my manual my printer was getting low on black ink towards the end , and some of the writing is not very clear ,and the specs are near the end of the print process
Thanks for doing the math for us Americans. We dont like metric.

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
It flys just fine up here but not for as long. I have taken off as high as 11,700 with no issues other than short battery life. I read earlier on this site that DJI had sent a higher pitched set of props to somebody with the same issue. I’m just hoping to buy some for myself.

Reactions: Emanáku and E90RAW
Thanks for doing the math for us Americans. We dont like metric.

I live in the UK. We have an imperial system.

I believe the metric system is so much easier. Give it a go. You never know ............

Reactions: E90RAW
It flys just fine up here but not for as long. I have taken off as high as 11,700 with no issues other than short battery life. I read earlier on this site that DJI had sent a higher pitched set of props to somebody with the same issue. I’m just hoping to buy some for myself.
Belwo is for the Inspire drone. I wonder if they would work for you?
-DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers. They are designed with a larger propeller pitch that increases the copter's propulsion force at altitudes with thinner air. Included is a set of two replacement propellers: one that works clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.
DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers CP.BX.000193 B&H Photo-

Belwo is for the Inspire drone. I wonder if they would work for you?
-DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers. They are designed with a larger propeller pitch that increases the copter's propulsion force at altitudes with thinner air. Included is a set of two replacement propellers: one that works clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.
DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers CP.BX.000193 B&H Photo-

I don't know if you're joking or not, but here is a photo of an Inspire prop sitting on top of my Mini. Yeah, those won't work.

MMInspre.jpg

I believe the max altitude is based on where it takes off from, and is cumulative from that point on in space.

No, max altitude is the ceiling that drone is designed to fly at. In this case, it is 3000M MSL (mean sea level). If it's based on take off point, it's considered AGL (above ground level).

i dont think those will make any difference to the amount of lift they provide ,but depending how well they are made they could actually be worse than the OEM props if they have not been balanced properly ,hope they turn out to be as described

I dont think they will make any difference to the lift or for high altitude, i just think the MM blades are so flexible and i hear of so many issues because of this i thought a stronger blade would minimise the risk of problems. I dont use the mini nearly as often as the others, so though that if they deform easily in the case, as it appears to be tha case that they do, that these tougher blades should be less susseptible to issues. A pal has a set on his and has not noticed any significant difference in performance, so if they are equal to the standard ones, without the risk of deforming so easily they will be fine for my needs.

The Service Ceiling of a powered aircraft is defined as the DENSITY ALTITUDE above which the aircraft can not climb at least 100 ft per minute. That certification is a combined function of the power generation, air speed and the lifting surfaces (wings and/or rotors). I am not sure how DJI tests or certifies what they publish. Operational Density Altitude is affected by physical altitude (air pressure) , temperature and humidity. Electric motors probably don’t decrease power output as they climb unlike reciprocating non-turbo engines.

I believe the max altitude is based on where it takes off from, and is cumulative from that point on in space. I recently saw a story on Mt. Everest where they took up a M2P and flew it at that altitude. How cool would that be???!!! Drone footage from Mt. Everest. Just hire me a sherpa to carry all the equipment, carry the O2, and breath for me, and I'm signing up to go.

(with the DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers. They are designed with a larger propeller pitch that increases the copter's propulsion force at altitudes with thinner air. Included is a set of two replacement propellers: one that works clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.
DJI Quick Release High-Altitude Propellers CP.BX.000193 B&H
https://www.bhphotovideo.com › ... › Shop by Brand › DJI Accessories
)

But they look ridiculous on a Mini...

Reactions: E90RAW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member