DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hyperlapse

G Randy Brown

Reactions
This is prolly a dumb question but I didn't see anything specific to my question in the search.
I haven't been a fan of hyperlapse because the footage has always been too fast for my taste (and choppy when slowed down in post) so I've been shooting video and ramping in post instead.
My question is, has anyone used Waypoint hyperlapse to make a 2 second duration with the maximum length before?
It just dawned on me that (theoretically) it should be much smoother right?

Thanks very much,
Randy

Randy, not stupid question. For me at least can you give a little more detail to your
requirement.

The primary benefit of hyperlapse is being able to take higher quality stills to end up with a higher quality result, potentially spanning longer than a single flight. However, if you let the camera/DJI Fly create the hyperlapse for you, it dumbs down the video quality of its output to 1080p, and normally throws away the original images. However, if you are willing to create the hyperlapse yourself in Premiere Pro from saved original stills, you'll have a far better result than a speeded up 4K video, which just drops frames, and is limited to one flight.

Randy, not stupid question. For me at least can you give a little more detail to your
requirement.
Well it just seems to me if I were to use Waypoint with 2 sec duration and set length of the clip to say 20 seconds or whatever the longest available and the path was short one would get a much smoother hyperlapse that wouldn't look as sped up...IOW, it would take a whole lot more stills within the path resulting in a smoother timelapse.
Think slowly moving along in an balloon with fast moving clouds.
I will definitely be trying it soon but it just dawned on me last night while watching a tut on youtube.

The primary benefit of hyperlapse is being able to take higher quality stills to end up with a higher quality result, potentially spanning longer than a single flight. However, if you let the camera/DJI Fly create the hyperlapse for you, it dumbs down the video quality of its output to 1080p, and normally throws away the original images. However, if you are willing to create the hyperlapse yourself in Premiere Pro from saved original stills, you'll have a far better result than a speeded up 4K video, which just drops frames, and is limited to one flight.
I have taken the raw images into Vegas Pro and saved some as png and then further processed in Luminar.
To get video as I recall I have imported the raw stills into Vegas with stills set to 0.040 seconds and it was pretty good quality, smooth video but I'm wondering how much smoother it would be if the path wasn't as long.

Reactions: Excalpino
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: G Randy Brown
This is prolly a dumb question but I didn't see anything specific to my question in the search.
I haven't been a fan of hyperlapse because the footage has always been too fast for my taste (and choppy when slowed down in post) so I've been shooting video and ramping in post instead.
My question is, has anyone used Waypoint hyperlapse to make a 2 second duration with the maximum length before?
It just dawned on me that (theoretically) it should be much smoother right?

Thanks very much,
Randy
Not sure it can be done. Each intelligent flight mode has its own sets of pathways.

Not sure it can be done. Each intelligent flight mode has its own sets of pathways.
I don't understand what you mean by "it's own set of pathways".
Do you mean waypoints, courselock etc (which can be programmed by the user)?
I'm talking about setting short distance paths/missions (ie 20-30 feet) with 2 second duration for say 25 second length result.
I am not able to test my "theory" today due to high winds but will asap and report back.

Since the winds are high I went to my backyard which has a 6' tall stone wall around it to test this.
I went to one side of the yard and tried to set a waypoint and it said my camea angle was too large...I was confused as to why because this was my 1st waypoint but since I dont care about the footage I yawed until it said good and set my 1st way point.
I then flew to the other side of my yard (about 50 feet away) to set my 2nd waypoint and it said camera angle is too large...I yawed and I released when it said good and set the 2nd waypoint.
I selected the hamburger menu and set duration to 2 seconds and when I went to set the length I was given one option and one option only...2 seconds!
What the heck is going on?
On a side note I updated a week ago and it already wants to update again...is there a new update since a week ago?

I don't understand what you mean by "it's own set of pathways".
Do you mean waypoints, courselock etc (which can be programmed by the user)?
I'm talking about setting short distance paths/missions (ie 20-30 feet) with 2 second duration for say 25 second length result.
I am not able to test my "theory" today due to high winds but will asap and report back.
They are two entirely different routes! Cannot be combined.
Hyperlapse modes.pngWaypoints2jpg.jpg

Yessir I understand there are 4 options for hyperlapse but I'm not trying to combine them.
I'm trying to use Waypoint...in the post above I was trying to set 2 wapoints in my backyard.
Yessir I understand there are 4 options for hyperlapse but I'm not trying to combine them.
I'm trying to use Waypoint...in the post above I was trying to set 2 waypoints in my backyard.
Why can't you try flying from point A to point B using 2 second exposures in the timed exposure mode? You can process them as a hyperlapse, but I think that you are limited to jpg for 2 second intervals and 5 second intervals for RAW.

Why can't you try flying from point A to point B using 2 second exposures in the timed exposure mode? You can process them as a hyperlapse, but I think that you are limited to jpg for 2 second intervals and 5 second intervals for RAW.
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "flying from point A to point B using 2 second exposures in the timed exposure mode".
Is there a 2 second exposure available (as in the shutter staying open for 2 seconds)?
I'm just saying in Hyperlapse/Waypoint I was trying to set 2 waypoints with camera shooting in 2 second intervals (the lowest option available that I can see) with a long duration (ie 25 sec) but the only duration available was 2.
I wish I would have tried it now to see what would happen but I'm assuming it would have taken 1 picture.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "flying from point A to point B using 2 second exposures in the timed exposure mode".
Is there a 2 second exposure available (as in the shutter staying open for 2 seconds)?
I'm just saying in Hyperlapse/Waypoint I was trying to set 2 waypoints with camera shooting in 2 second intervals (the lowest option available that I can see) with a long duration (ie 25 sec) but the only duration available was 2.
I wish I would have tried it now to see what would happen but I'm assuming it would have taken 1 picture.
So Randy:
I'm sorry not to understand you. It is now 9:30 PM in Miami and I am on my way to shower and bed. Tomorrow I will hook up my drone at the desk and see if I can product the situation for you and record it.

So Randy:
I'm sorry not to understand you. It is now 9:30 PM in Miami and I am on my way to shower and bed. Tomorrow I will hook up my drone at the desk and see if I can product the situation for you and record it.
Thanks Dale!

Thanks Dale!
I found this before bedtime. Under PHOTO (not video). Timed Shot. Set drone to shoot a picture every 2 second, 5 seconds, 7 seconds, etc. See below. For JPG the minimum timed interval I every 2 seconds for JPG and every 5 second for RAW.
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.50.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.52.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.52.35 PM.png

last year you could do what you want, but an update that came out in august broke waypoint hyperlapse to the point that you can’t get a very long hyperlapse between just 2 waypoints.

I sent a complaint to DJI support where I very clearly explained what the problem was, and they just blew me off telling me to send a video explaining the problem.

Well I don’t even have the time to edit and post my own videos that I’m interested in, let along make and edit a bug report video

So waypoint hyperlapse mode in air 2 had been bugged and broken for almost a year now.

you can get longer video lengths on the other modes, but in waypoint it’s very difficult to get exactly the shot you want

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom