DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m SO close …!

Scubakev

Reactions
Hi There ! First post…. Just getting into the forums !

I’m SO close to self-repairing my Mini, but I’ve hit a dead end.

I have a Mini 2 that I’ve been working on since I crashed it in Thailand last year. Over there, there is an abundance of OEM shops where I could take it directly.

To the best of my knowledge, in the US of A, I’m relegated to mailing it to a shop.

I’ve been reluctant to do that, so I decided to fix it myself.
( it’s just physical damage and I’m pretty handy )

The right rear arm was broken, BUT AT THE BODY, not joint. So I had to buy a replacement body and transfer all the components to that.

After all the soldering, and transferring, and troubleshooting - it was giving me a number of errors related to the ribbon cables fully seating -
I got it running !!

BUT… while the camera works, and motors run and it responds to throttle…. as soon as I try to lift off, it doesn’t seem to have enough lift on the LEFT rear motor.
As soon as I try to throttle up, the front and right side start to lift off BUT that rear corner lags and the props hit causing it to flip over and fail.

I’m at my wits end trying to troubleshoot this and I don’t want to have to send it in NOW, that I’ve got so much done and am so close.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Oh… and before I get a number of comments about props….. I did a complete NEW propeller swap, AND checked and re-checked to confirm they were the correct props / placement.

Last edited:
@Scubakev even though you say you have the correct props,on each motor,it may be that during the transfer of all 4 arms and motors to the ESCs that you managed to solder the motor wires ,incorrectly to the ESCs, two diagonally opposite motors front to rear turn Clockwise, and the other two turn Counter Clockwise have you checked this out

Thank you.
That’s a good consideration, but I don’t think that’s it.
The motors were never replaced - they were, and remained a part of the arms, and the arms were transferred in whole from the old drone body.
So, they each had to go to the corresponding location on the new drone body.

( i.e. right front, left front, right rear, left rear. I don’t think it’s possible to transpose parts. i.e. left rear to right rear )

So, I guess I’m not sure what you mean about confusing them diagonally.

and on the ESC’s …

Each arm had three wires - red, black and white.
They were pulled from the old body and soldered to the board in the new body. Each post is marked on the board R. W. B.

So, I’m out of thoughts.
Out of troubleshooting redundancy ( and desperation ) I’ve ordered a couple new prop replacement sets from Amazon…. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Scubakev have you thought about the fact that the ESC that controls the motor on the arm that was damaged ,may have been compromised during the crash ,causing the issue ,the electronics while maybe not displaying any visible damage ,can be harmed during a hard impact ,which is something that they are not designed for

Reactions: maggior
Sound like the motor isn't turning in the direction it should. Try putting the other prop on it.

Assuming correct assembly you probably need to Calibrate the IMU.
IMU stands for Inertial Measurement Unit and is essential for keeping your drone stable and level in the sky. It’s a built-in device that measures force, angular velocity, and attitude (yes, attitude, not altitude).
I do not have Mini so am not sure how you do it.

Hi There ! First post…. Just getting into the forums !

I’m SO close to self-repairing my Mini, but I’ve hit a dead end.

I have a Mini 2 that I’ve been working on since I crashed it in Thailand last year. Over there, there is an abundance of OEM shops where I could take it directly.

To the best of my knowledge, in the US of A, I’m relegated to mailing it to a shop.

I’ve been reluctant to do that, so I decided to fix it myself.
( it’s just physical damage and I’m pretty handy )

The right rear arm was broken, BUT AT THE BODY, not joint. So I had to buy a replacement body and transfer all the components to that.

After all the soldering, and transferring, and troubleshooting - it was giving me a number of errors related to the ribbon cables fully seating -
I got it running !!

BUT… while the camera works, and motors run and it responds to throttle…. as soon as I try to lift off, it doesn’t seem to have enough lift on the LEFT rear motor.
As soon as I try to throttle up, the front and right side start to lift off BUT that rear corner lags and the props hit causing it to flip over and fail.

I’m at my wits end trying to troubleshoot this and I don’t want to have to send it in NOW, that I’ve got so much done and am so close.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Oh… and before I get a number of comments about props….. I did a complete NEW propeller swap, AND checked and re-checked to confirm they were the correct props / placement.
Hang in there I can relate to all the things that you might miss rebuilding been there done that but with M1P

@Scubakev even though you say you have the correct props,on each motor,it may be that during the transfer of all 4 arms and motors to the ESCs that you managed to solder the motor wires ,incorrectly to the ESCs, two diagonally opposite motors front to rear turn Clockwise, and the other two turn Counter Clockwise have you checked this out
So, after multiple sets of props from different sellers, STILL no joy.
So, I’ve carefully observed the props, and the rotation direction. All seems to be in order.
At first I thought the props on the problem side were rotating in the same direction but after more observation and filming, it looks as if they are indeed swinging counter like the opposite side.
The left rear motor just doesn’t seem to have the lift, and once after testing, the motor seemed hot. 🥵
I’m out of thoughts and avenues of troubleshooting 😔

( the forum won’t let me attach motion confirmation videos )

Attachments

• A844230A-C0D1-4E3F-83EF-5D197E03D3FF.jpeg
    A844230A-C0D1-4E3F-83EF-5D197E03D3FF.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 0D64F819-6DF5-42D8-A2F2-518791E6FE21.png
    0D64F819-6DF5-42D8-A2F2-518791E6FE21.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 5B168C73-D197-4D26-A589-64B6CF3BC347.png
    5B168C73-D197-4D26-A589-64B6CF3BC347.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
So, after multiple sets of props from different sellers, STILL no joy.
So, I’ve carefully observed the props, and the rotation direction. All seems to be in order.
At first I thought the props on the problem side were rotating in the same direction but after more observation and filming, it looks as if they are indeed swinging counter like the opposite side.
The left rear motor just doesn’t seem to have the lift, and once after testing, the motor seemed hot. 🥵
I’m out of thoughts and avenues of troubleshooting 😔

( the forum won’t let me attach motion confirmation videos )
need better picks

need better picks
The pics are actually screen grabs of the video.
I didn’t intend to take/post photos because they don’t convey the information I’m trying to confirm but the forums don’t seems to allow posting video ( maybe on a desktop 🤔)

What I’m trying to prove, is that the video with slower motion shows, that the props are indeed spinning opposite (correct) to each other on both sides.

So I don’t think the motor got reversed in the process BUT… later tonight I’ll mount the incorrect props to confirm the hypothesis

I’ve reviewed the video…
(which the forum won’t allow me to attach and the static photos don’t reveal direction of motion)
I can confirm 1 & 2 ,
HOWEVER 3 & 4 seem to spin in the OPPOSITE directions
( although both spin counter to each other )

How I arrived here and how to correct it I don’t know…. and why just 1 corner would be affected and not the whole left side… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest