DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am a new Mavic 2 Pro owner and new to MavicPilots. I want to use a tablet, but not sure which is best.

From all I had read the go app seems to prefer ios devices.
I really can’t say as I have never owned anything Android.

Myself no I just position myself where I don’t need one
but that’s just me.

When you're talking about a tablet holder I assume you're thinking a 10in size tablet?

Although it's frequently claimed otherwise, Android devices can work well with DJI Go but you need to make sure you choose a suitable one. There's a compatibility list here compiled from user feedback:

The current Galaxy Tab S5e isn't listed but has been reported to work fine although it lacks a headphone jack, I use the older Galaxy Tab S3 which I've had no issues with.

Thank you... yes, the 10 inch is what i am looking for and i know the S3 is a pretty good tablet. i've read you must have cellular to use the RTH and Track me mode, is that correct?

I prefer Android... everything we use it that along with Microsoft for Post
The best flying tablets in an Android flavour are the Huawei M3 and M5.
They are at least as good as any iPad for flying.
I haven't tried one, but they have a new M6 that should also be excellent (but more expensive).
i've read you must have cellular to use the RTH and Track me mode, is that correct?
No
Your drone has it's own GPS receiver that it uses for RTH

If you wanted to use Follow-me mode with an iPad, you would have to have a cellular iPad, because Apple don't include a GPS receiver in non-cellular iPads.
But Follow-me is old tech anyway and Active Track is better and does not need a GPS enabled tablet anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
I use an iPad Air. For the reason mentioned (GO likes it better) and also because the controller will always try to be charging an Andriod device (search for the many threads on that), a "feature" that can't be turned off. Basically, it charges the tablet from the controller, which means the controller batteries deplete too quickly.

I also use a MavMount 3. Works great.

Sunshade: a hat is for protecting the eyes, not for shading the screen from glare. There are lots out there. I find this Favrison model to be nice. It is a) easy to put on and b) lightweight (don't want to get too heavy or the tablet + shade might flop around on the MavMount).

Chris

Reactions: Meta4
Maybe this myth will die one day?

In this forum and the official DJI forum, count the number of Android users complaining about DJI Go issues that are Android OS specific (bugs, slow updates, etc.).

Now go count the same complaints against iOS versions of DJI Go (for any reason that is iOS specific).

Compare the results and come back if they are myth busting numbers.

"Have you done that kind of statistical research?"

No I haven't, but I've seen a much higher number of complaints against Android support, all seeming to occur outside of the proverbial vacuum

Chris

Reactions: Camino Ken
One good reason to avoid android is the controller charging the device, no option to turn that off.
Not sure if it was resolved with multiple controller connections it might be possible to charge the controller and use another connection to the device.
Even if your model permits this, it's still a pain.

In this forum and the official DJI forum, count the number of Android users complaining about DJI Go issues that are Android OS specific (bugs, slow updates, etc.).
Your initial comment was that the app likes the Apple operating system better.
Now you are talking about the number of users who might have problems because they used an under-performing tablet.

The app runs equally well (or poorly) on Android and Apple operating systems.
The important thing is that the device used has a fast enough processor and enough RAM, not the operating system.
One good reason to avoid android is the controller charging the device, no option to turn that off.
Although often commented on, this really isn't an issue at all if your your controller and tablet are charged before use.
I've been flying Android for 6 years on 4 different tablets and I've never noticed any problem with it.

I do see plenty of complaints from Apple flyers in hot conditions about problems with their devices overheating though.
That's something that Android flyers don't seem to have to deal with.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929