DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am flying my Mavic in the St. Patricks Day Parade!!

joevdw

Reactions
Pros & Cons
So everyone chime in on this one please!
I have been invited by the Chamber to be a part of the St. Patrick's Day parade!
I would like to know what are my issues I will be running into while doing this.
I do have a list of my own, and some ideas to make it run smoothly.

Here are the crucibles involved:
  • 10 blocks, no turns
  • 3 fully charged batteries
  • about a 30 min or less parade
  • 14 foot clearance under stoplights
  • cleared by FAA for the area for 2 years :)
  • I do have my Part 107
  • My wife will drive my truck and I will either be walking or riding in the back of it.
So I was thinking of running the follow me mode under 12 feet?

Am I missing anything??
Thanks to all from Sioux Falls, SD!

Don't fly over anyone, obviously. :p

Make sure you have your paperwork on you in case somebody wonders what you're doing (or have your wife hang on to it so you don't get distracted).

And post photos/video!

Reactions: joevdw
Pros & Cons
So everyone chime in on this one please!
I have been invited by the Chamber to be a part of the St. Patrick's Day parade!
I would like to know what are my issues I will be running into while doing this.
I do have a list of my own, and some ideas to make it run smoothly.

Here are the crucibles involved:
  • 10 blocks, no turns
  • 3 fully charged batteries
  • about a 30 min or less parade
  • 14 foot clearance under stoplights
  • I do have my Part 107
  • My wife will drive my truck and I will either be walking or riding in the back of it.
So I was thinking of running the follow me mode under 12 feet?

Am I missing anything??
Thanks to all from Sioux Falls, SD!

Congratulations on scoring this opportunity for yourself. Way cool and I'm sure you're excited about the upcoming prospect.

Others here can tell you all about insurance, paperwork, and all of that stuff you need to consider. I would just like to add to be just like Santa Claus: make out a list and check it out twice - at least twice. You only get one shot at making a good impression coming out of this gate, so be sure to cover all of your bases.

I wouldn't simply take or totally trust anyone else's statements about traffic light heights or anything else important to your flight safety and maneuverability. I would go onsite and check it out and verify it for myself first, before the parade date. The heights on the DJI App are NOT exactly etched in stone, but even though they may be relative they also are consistent. When you're dealing with an alleged 14' max height - without yet considering what other obstructions may be present - and you may be flying from the back of a moving truck, plus your subject matter is the height of a standard parade procession with bystanders flanking you on both sides, your margin of error is not so great as to just wing it the day of the parade, in my mind.

I'd want to know just what the Mavic has to say about important heights to remember since that, in the end, is what will matter. If I were you I'd take my Mavic right there where you will be flying and working since you DO have access for 2 years to the area and hover that thing at the exact height I wanted to film from, of course leaving a safe distance still for a margin of error. Jot that down and that's your max altitude that you can match the day of the parade. I'd also canvas the entire area out and even make notes of pole locations along the route, bad potholes or roadway concerns, power lines and their heights, and especially anything unusual or obviously problematic so you know about it long before you get there to film. You could even fire up a couple of batteries and fly a practice run along the route, since it is only 10 blocks, perhaps early in the morning before traffic is an issue or whenever is best.

Perhaps you've already thought about this or even have done it. But just like it's always good to be able to do a trial run before actually flying out to do an important or more difficult photo shoot, the same would hold true with flying this parade route to me. You can only learn something by doing it, it'll only cost you the time and battery power to fly 10 blocks, and you may even avoid twisting an ankle or dropping your controller by being aware of a road hazard or getting your Mavic in some lines of some sort you weren't expecting to be there.

Good luck with your shoot. I hope all goes well for you. And yes, please post some images of what you get. Would enjoy seeing them.

Reactions: MavicMo
Congratulations. Sounds like a great opportunity. I would suggest
  • Lots of insurance
  • Do a dry run
  • Use extreme caution - both to avoid and accident and to demonstrate to the public how careful a professional drone operator can be
  • You might consider having a third person ride in the back of the truck with you to help watch for overhead wires and other hazards
  • Live stream it and advertise the url on the side of the truck
Good luck.

Reactions: AyeYo
And hope some fool don't throw something at it.

Reactions: Jim596
I'm new at this, but I thought the FAA rules prohibit you from flying a drone over people, and I assume people will be in the parade. Do I misunderstand?

I'm new at this, but I thought the FAA rules prohibit you from flying a drone over people, and I assume people will be in the parade. Do I misunderstand?

Re-read the original post.

The pilot is 107 Certified and has FAA clearance to do what he's doing for 2 years in that area. He's covered all of his bases and is working within the regs just fine. I trust public safety has already been addressed by him and will be the day of his flight. Let's all wish him well, support him in his endeavor, and hope he posts images of what he captures here for our mutual benefit.

Pros & Cons

I have no idea what this means. Waivers? For which Part 107 rules? Airspace authorizations?

Can't ride in the truck:

§107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system—

(a) From a moving aircraft; or

(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire.

Guess I will be getting a little exercise and walk behind the truck and use the tailgate to change batteries :)

Reactions: CC Rider
It would be wise to have a few more people walking with you. To keep on eye on kids and people to keep them away from the PIC. All it takes is one kid to come up and trip you and down shes goes. Safety first.
Sounds like fun tho :cool: - Put some adds on your truck to drum up some work too!

Reactions: CC Rider
...hi there joevdw!

...sounds like an exciting shoot!

...I (...and many others here, I would bet!) would really LOVE to know EXACTLY what clearance was received to fly a parade (...I had thought CNN was the only entity waived to fly above people so far? - and pretty sure that was with a special superlight tethered mini-drone encased in a plastic safety cage/basket deal) and HOW does a 107 pilot GET that kind of clearance as well (...especially for our DJI flying cuisinarts!) - thanks a bunch for any guidance you can give!!!

So to answer a couple of the questions.... I am in Sioux Falls, SD. We have quite the lack of laws that most big cities and states do have.

1. South Dakota has no drone laws currently
  2. I have cleared it with the local law enforcement (which they have no issues) as well as the city too!
  3. I will not be flying over ANYONE.. I will be in the middle of a four lane street at 10 feet high only!
  4. Because people are around me, not under me, I will be walking behind my truck (wife driving) with 2 friends riding on the tailgate (extra eyes on the Mavic) with the drone between them and myself.
  5. I do have 2 banners 4 feet long and 2 magnetic banners on the doors... Also I found a guy on Ebay selling DJI Mavic Pilot stickers for my rear windows!!! I love them!
  6. I have done some test runs ... and flying manually works the best .. hover, turn, up, down, forward, side to side, backwards... you get it. Get the crowd into it.

Attachments

• DJI MAVIC PILOT STICKER.jpg
    DJI MAVIC PILOT STICKER.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 17
Yes that is why I will be walking with the drone in front of me. The truck is there for help and holding extra batteries

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627