DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I bet not too many people know THIS!

MavicMike55

Reactions
Just found out today, just by fooling around, that by activating the gimbal adjustment THROUGH TOUCHING THE SCREEN AND HOLDING, you can, not only adjust it up and down, BUT also 90 degrees to the left or right! Touch screen and hold on screen, then drag up or down to raise or lower, OR drag left or right to turn the gimbal from side to side. YES you can get footage up to 90 degrees to each side while flying straight. This is awesome!!! Thumbswayup Thumbswayup Thumbswayup :D

Thanks for the huge factoid-share. Someone else mentioned it in an earlier post, but I figured he was confusing things with his Mavic 2, so I appreciate the confirmation. My MA2 “pre-order” has yet to arrive, so I can’t wait to contribute more than just my package’s ETA.

you can get footage up to 90 degrees to each side while flying straight. This is awesome ....

I have played with this feature on my M2P but have never used it. Imagine what will happen if you drive your car with your eyes constantly looking to the side. awesome or dangerous ? I am sure you can tell.

I have played with this feature on my M2P but have never used it. Imagine what will happen if you drive your car with your eyes constantly looking to the side. awesome or dangerous ? I am sure you can tell.
How is it any different from moving the drone sideways? the drone will even fly sideways by itself with the POI mode.

of course, you should have a spotter with visual line of site if you are doing this sort of flying.

Reactions: Peterson
How is it any different from moving the drone sideways? the drone will even fly sideways by itself with the POI mode.

of course, you should have a spotter with visual line of site if you are doing this sort of flying.
It's very different. Your orientation from the screen will be different from the actual orientation of the drone when you change your camera angle.

The only use for it that I can think of would be if you left the drone perched as a stationary camera instead of a flying camera. You could then reposition. Unlike the Mini, the processor in the MA2 has a cooling fan.

You got the point ! moving the drone sideway achieve the same result without risking losing orientation. If there is any difference, I would say the drone has much better capability to avoid obstacles in front of it so flying it forward can be safer in that sense. As I do not rely on obstacle avoidance but my own awareness of the surrounding environment, the feature is useless to me.

Last edited:
What was always missing from this undocumented feature on the M2 was a similar horizontal scale, like the vertical scale for gimbal elevation, which has a zero mark and a degrees left and right. On the MA2 when you activate the touch drag capability, and drag left or right, the desired horizontal scale suddenly appears! Now you can drag it back to center, without screwing up the continuous video by pointing the camera straight down and then back up, which was the only reset mechanism on the M2. The only problem I have had with it is that It has smoothing included, that makes it almost impossible to get it back to zero. It constantly goes back to -1°, which will make it fly crooked. Flipping the camera down and back up no longer restores it to zero! I finally managed to get it back to zero once, so I am leaving it there, as I have no confidence of being able to get it back to zero again! Same problem as before, but no simple fix! Could just be a unique bug on my unit.

Reactions: dawgpilot
What was always missing from this undocumented feature on the M2 was a similar horizontal scale, like the vertical scale for gimbal elevation, which has a zero mark and a degrees left and right. On the MA2 when you activate the touch drag capability, and drag left or right, the desired horizontal scale suddenly appears! Now you can drag it back to center, without screwing up the continuous video by pointing the camera straight down and then back up, which was the only reset mechanism on the M2. The only problem I have had with it is that It has smoothing included, that makes it almost impossible to get it back to zero. It constantly goes back to -1°, which will make it fly crooked. Flipping the camera down and back up no longer restores it to zero! I finally managed to get it back to zero once, so I am leaving it there, as I have no confidence of being able to get it back to zero again! Same problem as before, but no simple fix! Could just be a unique bug on my unit.
Sorry if I’m misunderstanding the issue and my reply makes no sense. Did you try the gimbal recenter feature? By default it’s the double press is the function button.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Last edited:
Reactions: bcfd29
Horizontal adjustment would be a great use of the right gimbal on SC

Keep you quad within LOS and watch it fly. So, use that 90 degree to the side feature ONLY where you can watch your quad. I have seen it used to fly alongside a group of trees in a line and video the trees.

Interesting feature. I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851