DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I bought a Mavic Mini less than 2 weeks ago and I just learned about the Mini 2...

Two Seam

Reactions
I just got into drones and got a Mavic Mini less than 2 weeks ago. Last night, a recommended YouTube video popped up titled something like "First Flight With the DJI Mini 2" and my stomach sank a little bit. I've come to learn that the Mini 2 was just released within the last day or so. If I had known it was on the horizon I would have waited, obviously.

I was enjoying my Mavic Mini so much but can't help feel disappointed now because it seems the new Mini 2 is an upgrade in almost every way.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to exchange it at this point or I just deal with it?

I bought it via Amazon and I look in my orders and it says I can return it until Jan 31st but I assume it's only if it's unopened. I've never returned anything to Amazon even though I use it frequently, I'm not sure what the policy is.

Anyone have a situation like this? What would you do? Is there even anything I can do or just tough luck?

Edit: Update in post #17. TL;DR is I returned to Amazon very easily with refund and ordered a Mini 2

Last edited:
Reactions: rapberry
I would just enjoy it. I would just chalk up as a learning experience.
Research before you buy. ?‍♂️

I just got into drones and got a Mavic Mini less than 2 weeks ago. Last night, a recommended YouTube video popped up titled something like "First Flight With the DJI Mini 2" and my stomach sank a little bit. I've come to learn that the Mini 2 was just released within the last day or so. If I had known it was on the horizon I would have waited, obviously.

I was enjoying my Mavic Mini so much but can't help feel disappointed now because it seems the new Mini 2 is an upgrade in almost every way.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to exchange it at this point or I just deal with it?

I bought it via Amazon and I look in my orders and it says I can return it until Jan 31st but I assume it's only if it's unopened. I've never returned anything to Amazon even though I use it frequently, I'm not sure what the policy is.

Anyone have a situation like this? What would you do? Is there even anything I can do or just tough luck?
Never hurts to try to return. If it hasn't been damaged and is like new they might take it back

Amazon is very lenient on returns. They pretty much don't care. Repack everything as close as you can to how you received it. Go to your Amazon orders and follow the directions. You don't even need the Amazon box. They will send you a bar code then you just take the DJI box and a picture of the bar code on your phone, go to the nearest official UPS store, they will take it from you and handle the packaging, and a few hours later Amazon will issue you a credit. Easy peasy.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Your not really asking for a Return but an exchange you will be fine either way.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

Did you get your Mini on the Prime Deals day? If so it might be worth it to keep it.

I got my Mini on the Prime Day deal even though I knew the new Mini 2 was about to be released. Here in Canada it was CAN$150 off the Flymore Combo so basically the FMC was free. The new Mini 2 Combo is almost $850 with taxes factored in - an almost $300 difference, so for me the upgrades in the Mini 2 are not worth it and I am very happy with the great price I paid for the Mini 1 and have no desire to upgrade.

Chris

Reactions: GarthH
You have(as others!)now been introduced to the DJI system. Product updates are becoming the norm. No matter what you buy, the new one is already on the drawing board.
Dont be sad. Just watch out for wind.

I returned the mini I got on prime day and ordered the mini 2. As long as you pack it up complete and pay shipping you can return it. They shipped the mini 2 next day and it arrrived today. It handles wind much much better, and the occusync works so much better as well. It’s faster in sport mode and the video quality is noticeably better, not just due to the 4K but the higher bitrate as well.

the mini was a blast but the mini 2 is much better. It feels like my air 2 in flight.

It’s more money but it’s a very evolutionary upgrade. It will indeed eat into the air 2 sales, like the air 2 ate into the pro 2.

DJI must have something special on the way with the Pro 3, because that’s little drones are engineering marvels.

Did you get your Mini on the Prime Deals day? If so it might be worth it to keep it.
No, I got the FMC for $499 USD. The Mini 2 FMC is $599 USD. I feel like the upgrades are worth $100 to me.

Anyway, I talked to Amazon Customer Service. She refunded my credit card and told me to drop it off at a nearby UPS outlet like a previous poster mentioned.

I saved all the packaging and nothing has been damaged in any way. All seems good hopefully. Thanks for the replies

Reactions: Chrislaf

I got my Mini on the Prime Day deal even though I knew the new Mini 2 was about to be released. Here in Canada it was CAN$150 off the Flymore Combo so basically the FMC was free. The new Mini 2 Combo is almost $850 with taxes factored in - an almost $300 difference, so for me the upgrades in the Mini 2 are not worth it and I am very happy with the great price I paid for the Mini 1 and have no desire to upgrade.

Chris
I did like you in Canada. Drone was about 575 after tax. From DJI min2 is 550 USD no tax which got billed about 760. So really a 185 total price difference which to me is worth having latest better model.

Amazon is quite liberal in accepting returns.You can use several reasons in their checkbox to return it.Doesn't meet expectations,defective.I'd avoid a direct exchange.Return+have wife,friend etc buy the 2 as a gift.

Bringing returns to UPS sounds new. Last I knew you could take returns to Kohls. All you need is the product and the return paperwork.

You have(as others!)now been introduced to the DJI system. Product updates are becoming the norm. No matter what you buy, the new one is already on the drawing board.
Dont be sad. Just watch out for wind.
Hey Starz, off topic but I know you like I had issues with the front arms, DJI fixed this issue with the Mini 2, the arms are rigid!

I’ve bought my Mini from launch, great little drone, I’ve now got the Mini 2 and it is a significant step. I agree Amazon are very good with returns, you’ve only got to check out the ‘as new’ drones for sale on the Amazon Warehouse page. Good luck

Just enjoy it, and get a MA2 or better later on if still interested in quadcopters. Skip the Mini2.

Hey all, just an update and good news:

I talked to Amazon CS and she refunded my credit card immediately and just instructed me to return the Mini to a UPS outlet with a shipping label I printed out. I guess it's true about Amazon DGAF because it was really easy and I even have until Jan 31st 2021 to return it (I'll ship it tomorrow but I think it's funny they give that much leeway). I ordered the Mini 2 and it's coming tomorrow. Overall, surprisingly painless. I think it's largely contingent on orders from Amazon but if you have a similar situation to me I definitely think it's worth checking if returns are available to you.

On a side note: I had purchased Care Refresh on the Mini and I also talked to DJI CS and got that refunded as well. It was slightly more involved, having to email screenshots of proof of my refund and proof of my Care Refresh order but still painless overall.

I've watched several initial review/impression videos of the new Mini 2 and it seems like everyone says it's a big improvement over the Mini. 4k video, RAW pictures, Occusync, and increased wind resistance are all huge improvements.

I did same thing. Got it on the Prime Day sale. Going to return it and order the Mini 2. Be a couple hundred more but from what I've been reading worth it. The added 4K, OccuSync and better wind resistance is a no brainer.

Reactions: Two Seam
The Mini 2 is, IMO owning both, worth the $200 difference is prime day pricing compared to the mini 1. It’s a solid drone, better case IMO, and the signal issues are gone.

Edit: Update in post #17. TL;DR is I returned to Amazon very easily with refund and ordered a Mini 2
I bought mine less than 2 months ago and share your frustration. What I have found that really takes the little drone to a new level is Dronelink. Maximize what you have and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22