DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I didn't crash my M2P, despite my best effort.

Treeofliberty

Reactions
I'm learning to use Litchi, and discovering what powerful software it is. Our house backs up to a preserve area, and I was trying to design an low and stealthy flight path back to the middle of the preserve, where I could then rise up to photograph the sunsets, which we cannot see from our home's location, down behind the hill. Phoenix gets some great sunsets, especially when there is a little dust in the air.

My Litchi mission going away from the house worked fine, rising to a position 150 feet above the hilltop. However, the return mission I designed started at just 50 feet above the hilltop, again, trying to be stealthy. That dropped the AC below the ridge line and I lost signal. The mission was just a few hundred feet, so when the AC didn't emerge, I feared that it had crashed.

I quickly drove to higher ground, and climbed up the hill until I got a signal, and found that the AC had encountered an obstacle and was parked in a hover. My RTH altitude was lower than this ridgeline, which was one of my many mistakes on this endeavor. I struggled a little to get the AC to move in any direction, but eventually found a way to move away from the obstacle and fly it to my position for a hand-catch and a hasty retreat, tail firmly tucked.

No crash, and yet, plenty of valuable lessons learned. It was a tense but wonderful evening.

Reactions: Hardgainer
Are you using the Mission Hub online to develop this mission?
There is a tick box when one sets each waypoint that is Above Ground. That might be helpful.

Another thing you can do is go out to an elevation in which you can see the point at which you want the Mavic to stop and shoot the sunset picture. Fly the Mavic using Lichti FPV mode so you can frame the shot. Position the Mavic and frame the shot then take hands off sticks to let it hover and press the C1 button on the bottom left side of the controller. This drops a waypoint at the location you currently have the drone at. Then fly manually to another position above the ridge. Same thing press C1. Another waypoint dropped. Continue this for each waypoint all the way back to where you take off from. Drop one last waypoint there. Now you can click on Waypoint mode within Lichti and save that mission. If you have internet connectivity then the mission will be saved to the Mission Hub.

Then one can virtually fly the mission using VLM (Virtual Lichti Mission- found here on the forum) and Google Earth to make sure your mavic clears all the ridges and obstacles.

Reactions: ff22 and JDawg
50 feet is too close to an object as it might be within the degree of error of the program. If your waypoint is set for curves then it could easilly deviate 50 feet into an obstacle.

If you set the homepoint as the last waypoint then it should make it back, providing it is set up correctly.

Are you using the Mission Hub online to develop this mission?
There is a tick box when one sets each waypoint that is Above Ground. That might be helpful..

I've learned to set all of my waypoints and POI elevations to be based on altitude above the terrain, as I've been disappointed by variation of launch points. I've also been "pre-flying" each of these missions in Google Earth (via VLM 2.3.0), but in this case, didn't fully respect the angle and loss of signal.

I'm building in more margin for error and ensuring I can see my house from the entire flight path, before I try these again.

Next time switch to sports mode and OA will be disabled..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3