DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I didn't know this DJI Go 4 feature (quickly update home point)

RayOZ

Reactions
Got an email from DJI about preventing flyaways. Link to their website. I didn't know tip 4!

Each time I am about to fly in a new location, I tap on the maps to check that it is showing my current location before take-off. A couple of times, I noticed the map was showing my previous location, 25km away. Good thing I waited for the location to update correctly before starting the motors.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Another thing, when you check that your homepoint has been set in the correct location, check that the orientation of the little green aircraft logo, is the same as the actual aircraft in front of you.

Reactions: RayOZ
And don't forget you need to launch and ascend to 35 feet (or was it meters... hmm, might have been meters....) for it to accurately set its RTH point from launch. I seem to keep forgetting this one but I only have a few flights it will become habit soon enough. Same goes with checking the map and the drone position arrow direction. and remember the map does not rotate with you, you need to check to see you are pointing the right direction that the map is!

And don't forget you need to launch and ascend to 35 feet (or was it meters... hmm, might have been meters....) for it to accurately set its RTH point from launch. I seem to keep forgetting this one but I only have a few flights it will become habit soon enough. Same goes with checking the map and the drone position arrow direction. and remember the map does not rotate with you, you need to check to see you are pointing the right direction that the map is!
I am pretty sure it's 10m. 35m is higher than default RTH altitude.

Reactions: Daddy6466
Nah, homepoint is recorded when GPS health is good enough, after you spool up. That could be a meter off the ground in a good open area. I think what you are referring to is precision landing, if selected, the AC takes a 'closer look' at the landing point from a height of about 16 ft.

Nah, homepoint is recorded when GPS health is good enough, after you spool up. That could be a meter off the ground in a good open area. I think what you are referring to is precision landing, if selected, the AC takes a 'closer look' at the landing point from a height of about 16 ft.

hmm, I read somewhere on dji that they highly recomend 35 (I guess its feet ;) ). right after takeoff. I will have to look for that article. I try to remember to set my home point on the app before i take off. (then of course I forget to center focus in the air :p )

Reactions: pk1118
Its feet. And required for precision landing. If you don't do this it'll still return to within GPS accuracy (3m or so) so its not a big thing unless after pinpoint precision. The auto take off mode goes to 6m/20ft or so which would appear to be enough.

I never use the maps as i rarely if ever fly where theres internet access, my default display is the radar. What i do though is wait until a good 10 or more satellites are locked, start the motors, manually set the home point in the menu then verify the distance from home point is near zero on the RC and controller before then manually taking off.
Precision isnt great on mine as the drone "jumps" backwards slightly as it lifts meaning the precision landing is a foot or two behind usually.
Then again, i hand launch and catch 90% of the time these days.

False. It records the home point on the ground before take off. The lady voice in the app even announces it.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
what i was trying to point out was that if you happen to be flying while walking around or on a boat, tip #4 allows you to quickly update home point, so it doesnt try to RTH to launch location when smart RTH kicks in.

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
Hey Ray, I knew about that feature, works on my Mavic Pro.
I was teaching a guy here the other day to get his Air going, and for the life of me it wouldnt work.
Anyone with a MA try it for me please??

False. It records the home point on the ground before take off. The lady voice in the app even announces it.

yes I know it says that, I was just quoting what I have read and seen in a few mavic tutorials and instructional videos. I tried to find that article again but I have gone through hundreds in the last week. But I came across that one point more than once.

I never use the maps as i rarely if ever fly where theres internet access, my default display is the radar. What i do though is wait until a good 10 or more satellites are locked, start the motors, manually set the home point in the menu then verify the distance from home point is near zero on the RC and controller before then manually taking off.

There is an option on Google Maps to download areas for offline. If you know ahead of time where you will be flying and will be offline, you simply download the area while online and the dji app will use the downloaded map.

There is an option on Google Maps to download areas for offline. If you know ahead of time where you will be flying and will be offline, you simply download the area while online and the dji app will use the downloaded map.
I do this on a regular basis. I use an iPad for my MP that has no service so while at home under WiFi I pull up the location in maps that I am headed to fly. I zoom in and out and cover as much area looking at map as I think I will be flying within. It stores them and when I get there I have maps. Works great.

Reactions: Skymax
I do this on a regular basis. I use an iPad for my MP that has no service so while at home under WiFi I pull up the location in maps that I am headed to fly. I zoom in and out and cover as much area looking at map as I think I will be flying within. It stores them and when I get there I have maps. Works great.

same here takes only minutes to do and i don't have to have another phone account.
If you go somewhere that you have not pre-loded maps for you can just use you're cell phone as a wifi hotspot for you're Tablet and DL them on site, if there is service.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121