DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I didn't update with the latest FW release

james_mav

Reactions
but the drone flew fine a few days ago eventhough I had a FW update warning. When I turned everything on today the screen on my ipad was flashing on & off like I had a connection issue. The back of the drone had a steady clear light which I wasn't familiar with. I updated my FW & everything's back to normal but I didn't realize DJI forced you to update the software. It took about 20 minutes which ended up being too late to go flying.

I didn't realize DJI forced you to update the software
Firmware updates are always optional. You can ignore the prompts if you don't want to upgrade.

but the drone flew fine a few days ago eventhough I had a FW update warning. When I turned everything on today the screen on my ipad was flashing on & off like I had a connection issue. The back of the drone had a steady clear light which I wasn't familiar with. I updated my FW & everything's back to normal but I didn't realize DJI forced you to update the software. It took about 20 minutes which ended up being too late to go flying.

Always update the Firmware. Updates solve more issues than they cause. The only issue with updates is some of your settings may be reset so you'll have to check the menus. Also I'd probably calibrate the compass at the very least and IMU. If you calibrate the IMU do that first. People think firmware causes issues. The issues are caused by the user not checking their settings or making sure everything is in check prior to flight. You should do it regardless but especially after a firmware update.

The Devs can't always control what gets reset or not upon updating. So know that anytime you Firmware changes check your settings do the two calibrations and do a hover test and rotate the aircraft and move it side to side before flying abroad. Believe it or not spinning your aircraft on a hover helps keep the compass in check as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Firmware updates are always optional. You can ignore the prompts if you don't want to upgrade.

The reason I made the thread was in case someone else ran into this problem. I thought the FW update's were optional also but my drone thought differently.

The reason I made the thread was in case someone else ran into this problem. I thought the FW update's were optional also but my drone thought differently.

Not likely they stay optional. The firmware isn't 100% yet. And they'll probably try to force the improvements as they make the aircraft more reliable to prevent warranty claims etc. Just watch your settings after each one.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Today I was planning to fly when the wind dyed down. I got the Mavic to the launch area, once it was warmed up I got a red triangle with a warning that the software had to be updated. I took the bird back inside and let it update since it would not start until it was updated.

Today I was planning to fly when the wind dyed down. I got the Mavic to the launch area, once it was warmed up I got a red triangle with a warning that the software had to be updated. I took the bird back inside and let it update since it would not start until it was updated.

Yep, now we have a pattern of the Mavic not allowing you to fly without updating.

I flew last week/weekend on the old firmware without issue. I was using the DJI Go 4 app on an iPad Mini 4. I was on vacation and didn't want to spend the time to update. I saw the red triangle saying there was new firmware. I just pressed the "x" to close the message and flew fine over the past few days.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
I flew last week/weekend on the old firmware without issue. I was using the DJI Go 4 app on an iPad Mini 4. I was on vacation and didn't want to spend the time to update. I saw the red triangle saying there was new firmware. I just pressed the "x" to close the message and flew fine over the past few days.

I flew fine last week also after ignoring the FW update icon but yesterday my drone was completely screwed up. I updated the FW & all was good.

Forced updates are a real issue. There are well documented cases of mid-air forced updates crashing Inspires.

I updated on 2/14/17. Have had nothing but problems since. Will be refreshing my update today through DJI assistant. Prior to that I never had a single issue! I will be looking into the updates from now on to see what they are and if its nothing special will be skipping them.

I updated on 2/14/17. Have had nothing but problems since. Will be refreshing my update today through DJI assistant. Prior to that I never had a single issue! I will be looking into the updates from now on to see what they are and if its nothing special will be skipping them.

What kind of problems?

Suddenly losing gps connection with 17 satellites available and full bars then bam nothing, going into atti mode. The drone will all of a sudden look like it's almost sideways, will slightly shake around right before it loses connection. Recalibrated imu and compass and didn't help. DJI chat told me to download assistant and do a refresh. So now refreshing the software now and it's taking forever. Have literally burned 3 batteries during this process of it just sitting on the table

Suddenly losing gps connection with 17 satellites available and full bars then bam nothing, going into atti mode. The drone will all of a sudden look like it's almost sideways, will slightly shake around right before it loses connection. Recalibrated imu and compass and didn't help. DJI chat told me to download assistant and do a refresh. So now refreshing the software now and it's taking forever. Have literally burned 3 batteries during this process of it just sitting on the table

Did you update via the app or Assistant? I did my update via the app to the last prior firmware and had similar issues until I refreshed with Assistant. Did you update the batteries and RC as well?

Forced updates are a real issue. There are well documented cases of mid-air forced updates crashing Inspires.
That's not exactly what it is... it's people not being careful and taking off while a battery update is in progress.

That's not exactly what it is... it's people not being careful and taking off while a battery update is in progress.

You can't even hit "Go Fly" while a battery update is in progress.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose