DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I don't think I trust my mav anymore...not dependable

gixxerbill

Reactions
Just got it back from a crash after losing signal(only 100ft away) and then it crashed again Saturday 500 ft away. I was flying it off my deck around 25 ft and all of a sudden I lose signal screen goes black and no option on RTH. I am thinking about getting in my boat so I can go try to find it when I see some people pick it up. I can see their legs arms and every once in a while their faces. Finally a guy looked into the camera and made a circle motion with his finger( to like start motors) So I did and sure enough it took off and flew it back and landed it.

So I get in my boat run over to where those people were with a 6 pack for being a good samaritan and they of course wouldn't take the beer. I asked them what happened and they say it just flew into some high grass on sand dune.

So here are my questions. Why woulnd't it just hover instead of crashing into grass. Next question, why did it go from weak signal to no signal with in 5 seconds? Why was is ever getting a weak signal 500 ft away? Why didn't it return to home after loosing connection I know it was in sport mode but even then it should RTH correct?

And the most important question of all. what is the BEST aftermarket range extender for the mav? because I no longer trust the stock one.

It would help to upload your flight log so people here more knowledgeable than I can help figure out what the problem might be. 25 feet isn't very high from 500 feet away.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
First off,don't try to be Top Gun and fly low. The only friend you and your MP have is altitude! Everything else is the enemy! I fly a minimum of 150 AGL,and most of the time at 250 or better. You will soon discover there's very little to hit at high altitude,and a lot to run into at low altitude. PS. The lower you fly at distance,the worse your transmission signal will be.

If you have not been flying at least 6 months stay away from water and keep it in line of site like Ron said.

Regards

It can be difficult to judge height from looking at the monitor, you might have been lower than you think you were and hit the grass.

Transmission signals don't do well at low altitude, period! There's a reason why TV,Micro Wave,and Cell Phone Towers,aren't 25 feet tall!;) All the range extenders in the world won't help if your too low.Look around your area,then pick out the highest object,tree,building,ect. and fly at least 50 feet above it,or higher. Also set your RTH higher than anything in your area.The FAA guidlines recomend a max altitude of 400AGL,so use it! Leave the 25 AGL level for the kids that have the little helicopters from Wal Mart!Thumbswayup

I would guess it didnt RTH because it didn't lose signal. The app crashing does not mean the RC is disconnected. You can still fly it using the RC (or hit the RTH button).

Mavic signal is line of sight - that means direct sight not through buildings, trees or obstacles. 25agl is very low for 500ft distance so im not surprised video got lost if thats the case.

You're also in sport mode which disables the avoidance sensors to more than explains why it hit grass.

To me, flying very low level, in sport mode, a long way away sounds like a really good way to crash any drone.

Range extenders wont help - microwaves dont like going through dense objects. Hence line of sight. Sounds like the mavic was doing exactly what it should do and what the manual says it should do. Its the operator at fault.

The only solution to this problem is having airplane mode enabled on your phone/tablet while flying. Faced the same problem multiple times as well. Don't be discouraged!

The only solution to this problem is having airplane mode enabled on your phone/tablet while flying. Faced the same problem multiple times as well. Don't be discouraged!
There is absolutely nothing to indicate this has anything to do with the problem at hand.

Most likely what happened, hes flying really low, a distance away, maybe some trees or obstacles in the way. The video feed predictably breaks off or the cable gets loose or app crashes. Normal things that happen.
He's not VLOS so cant see the drone, hes in sport mode so sensors are disabled. Once the app crashes he either panics or just doesn't notice and flies it into the grass (due to being at a crazy low altitude to start). He doesn't realise not having the app working has nothing to do with the RC connection to the drone or RTH options. The drone didn't attempt to RTH as communication between it and the RC was never lost.

Obviously the logs will tell all if uploaded to the airdata site.

Let's try to be a little less pointed when describing the actions of people who are learning. No need to tear people a new one when they have come to us for help is what I'm saying.

I realize, of course, that no one is doing that.

Reactions: alelongoni
Although i am a new member of these forum i think this kind of posts (error, malfunction etc..) "have to" include a DAT file for a logical discussion. Otherwise these posts are turning into a mayhem.

and by saying "have to" i mean this kind of post should not be shown without a DAT file, there should be a subgroup something called like "crash investigations" (did not think about the name more then 2 secs). Because without any evidence (DAT) it is just theoretical debate...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost