DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I don't understand why I couldn't stop my drone from fly away

ubqtous

Reactions
Very new with DJI Mavic but flown cheap drones for a while now in vlos since they were cheap and had no camera.

I tried flying mavic pro yesterday in beginner mode with ground winds around 10mph and gusts reaching 20- 30mph.

I piloted it above 2 story house and all was good, but suddenly it started to drift by itself in the direction of the winds, going backwards. I immediately went full throttle towards me but it literally did nothing, and my drone went adrift. I got the high winds warning. I go full throttle and it does nothing. Panicking, as it was my 2nd real flight ever on this drone, I hit RTH as it's passing the house into large empty lot, drifting. The RTH backfired on me and raised its altitude to default 90ft while maintaining the adrift away from me.

I tried following it with a friend on a car but there wasn't any luck lowering the altitude or control throttling. I was only able to rotate it but that didn't help me at all.

Long story short, I was able to retrieve the drone today from a tree and it didn't look like it suffered sby malfunction outside of tiny scuffs on the plastic edge of the motor.

Can someone please take a look at why the drone didn't go into the direction I wanted it to go and tell me what not to do next time? I was under assumption that mavic pro could fly through the small gusts. My cheapy drones can, why not this? Why didn't it return home?

Problem? Yes

Was unit in a crash?
Got stuck in a tree

What have you tried so far?
Backtracking what went wrong still confused

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Samsung s8

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

V01.04.0500

What Go app version are you using?

Any modification? (if so what)

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited:
the key here is beginner mode and wind it was way to windy to fly and in beginner mode the drones speed and range are restricted also you said flew above two story house were you in your garden at the time? did you check you had good sat lock and home point was recorded problem is even if you did have home point set once you tried RTH and the mav went up to RTH altitude you just made things worse as the wind was to strong at that height for the mav to fly against you are lucky you retrieved your mav go find a nice large area and a calm day and practice flying away from people trees and buildings and make sure you understand the functions before you fly you should remove props at home link mav and contoller with your tablet on and try the camera settings till you find out how they work useing the manual as a guide

Reactions: mnis
I have gotten caught in strong wind . The only way to fight the wind is to lower the drone as much as possible and use sport mode . Beginner mode has very very limited power .

I tried flying mavic pro yesterday in beginner mode with ground winds around 10mph and gusts reaching 20- 30mph.

I piloted it above 2 story house and all was good, but suddenly it started to drift by itself in the direction of the winds, going backwards. I immediately went full throttle towards me but it literally did nothing, and my drone went adrift. I got the high winds warning. I go full throttle and it does nothing. Panicking, as it was my 2nd real flight ever on this drone, I hit RTH as it's passing the house into large empty lot, drifting. The RTH backfired on me and raised its altitude to default 90ft while maintaining the adrift away from me.
You need to learn a lot more about flying your Mavic before getting so adventurous.
That wind was very strong and gusty.
It should have been obvious on the ground and it was stronger up higher as it always is.
In those situations, you shouldn't have been flying at all.
But if you were an experienced flyer and did launch, you would have been very conscious of the wind right from the start.
You would have carefully flown straight into the wind and observed how well the drone dealt with the headwind.
If it slowed the drone much, you would not turn and fly downwind because that would mean a fight to get back home.
If you saw that the drone couldn't make headway, you'd get it back on the ground ASAP.

A strong wind like that is like a raging river.
If you fall in and can't swim against the current, there's no point staying midstream fighting a losing battle.
Get back to shore and out of the current.
In the drone situation, get down and out of that wind.

You need to learn a lot more about flying your Mavic before getting so adventurous.
That wind was very strong and gusty.
It should have been obvious on the ground and it was stronger up higher as it always is.
In those situations, you shouldn't have been flying at all.
But if you were an experienced flyer and did launch, you would have been very conscious of the wind right from the start.
You would have carefully flown straight into the wind and observed how well the drone dealt with the headwind.
If it slowed the drone much, you would not turn and fly downwind because that would mean a fight to get back home.
If you saw that the drone couldn't make headway, you'd get it back on the ground ASAP.

A strong wind like that is like a raging river.
If you fall in and can't swim against the current, there's no point staying midstream fighting a losing battle.
Get back to shore and out of the current.
In the drone situation, get down and out of that wind.

Hey I never thought of it like that and I never thought to test out lowish altitude flight in the wind like how you mentioned,

Sounds like a whole lot of user error mix with strong inexperience..

I'm glad it wasn't a malfunction because I can easily fix and learn these things on my end.

Sounds like the general consensus is winds too strong to fly, and beginner mode + RTH made it a perfect storm.

Thank you everyone for your time for looking and reading my long post!

Hey I never thought of it like that and I never thought to test out lowish altitude flight in the wind like how you mentioned,

Sounds like a whole lot of user error mix with strong inexperience..

I'm glad it wasn't a malfunction because I can easily fix and learn these things on my end.

Sounds like the general consensus is winds too strong to fly, and beginner mode + RTH made it a perfect storm.

Thank you everyone for your time for looking and reading my long post!
glad you took the comments on board you asked for some feedback and i think you got some good advice from all of the replies hope you continue to enjoy your flying and post on the forum in future

So you had the AC in beginner mode and you were in 30mph winds and don't know why it drifted away come on man!!! beginner mode highly limits the speed and tilt of the aircraft so it couldn't fight the wind you should have switched to sport mode and you might still have your quad.. read and understand the manual and learn what and how your aircraft reacts and flies in different modes and conditions!! Sorry to sound harsh but so so many people come here blaming everything under the sun when they don't really understand how these models work and there limits.

So you had the AC in beginner mode and you were in 30mph winds and don't know why it drifted away come on man!!! beginner mode highly limits the speed and tilt of the aircraft so it couldn't fight the wind you should have switched to sport mode and you might still have your quad.. read and understand the manual and learn what and how your aircraft reacts and flies in different modes and conditions!! Sorry to sound harsh but so so many people come here blaming everything under the sun when they don't really understand how these models work and there limits.
The guy just admits he made a mistake and is going to learn from it, and you come on here and bash him. Nice work.

Since you didn't realize it before making your post, you sound like an *** when you 1) make assumptions without reading my post 2) make projections since you may have experienced this kind of posts before...

Not once I blamed anything besides my own lack of experience in any of my original or follow-up posts.

I use the UAV Forecast app before flying if I'm concerned with the wind at all. It provides an estimate of the wind speed at variously elevations. Given the size and power of these drones gusts in the 20s keeps me grounded.

I'm glad it was an inexpensive lesson for you!

Since you didn't realize it before making your post, you sound like an *** when you 1) make assumptions without reading my post 2) make projections since you may have experienced this kind of posts before...

Not once I blamed anything besides my own lack of experience in any of my original or follow-up posts.
i hope my post was not derogitory towards you i was trying to give you some help to prevent it happening again i was not blaming you for your mistakes just offering some explanation as to what happened please dont give up on your flying we all learn something new every time we fly

Reactions: mnis
To be read before the next drone purchase. In this case see #54, among all the others...

Attachments

• Prevent a Crash.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: ubqtous
You can't go into sport mode while in beginner mode.

What's ironic is you can have Intelligent Flight Mode disabled, which disables sport and tripod mode on the switch, but you can still select at least some IFM's from the app.

Reactions: ubqtous
You can't go into sport mode while in beginner mode.

What's ironic is you can have Intelligent Flight Mode disabled, which disables sport and tripod mode on the switch, but you can still select at least some IFM's from the app.

True that man, I found that out recently myself! Funny.

Should be the other way around.
Then again, it is easy to bump the switch and not notice. I found it will default to P mode on startup, even if the switch is in one of the other settings.

No I was being an ***..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll