DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I flew it

I did I calibrated everything before first flight, I'm hoping I did everything correctly. It flew good so I hope so.

I did I calibrated everything before first flight, I'm hoping I did everything correctly. It flew good so I hope so.

So you calibrated the IMU also? I thought that wasn't supposed to be done unless requested. Or by everything, did you just mean compass and gimbal?

We are opposites... I didnt calibrate anything before flying... not even the compass. And it still flies great. Who knows whats best...

I finallyget her in the air. I took mavic to the farm and flew it for a while. It flew fantastic! No issues as of yet. Very very happy so far!
I know you were worried. I'm glad it went well for you! I've had about 5 flights now and having a blast. It would be twice as fun if I wasn't freezing! I wish I would have gotten my Mavic 2 weeks ago when the weather was absolutely perfect!
We are opposites... I didnt calibrate anything before flying... not even the compass. And it still flies great. Who knows whats best...
With reports of Toilet Bowl Effect (TBE) and various other control issues, I think it is a big mistake to not calibrate the sticks and the compass out of the box (and update the firmware to the latest). There are varying opinions about the IMU. Personally, I lean toward not calibrating the IMU unless it asks or its flying strangely, but if the IMU is properly calibrated on like a perfectly level board away from all interference it should be just fine.

I didn't calibrate anything either since the app didn't indicate it was needed. It appears from Laura's flight that it certainly didn't hurt her flight so who knows?

The IMU is only supposed to be calibrated if the app requests it.

According to DJI it was finely tuned at the factory in the ideal settings

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I only did it because I read of others that though it was a good idea... it flew perfect so I'm assuming it was okay thing to do.

Except that it doesn't always work. My app was not requesting anything when my Mavic had huge gimbal horizon drift, which was solved by an IMU cal.

It was also not requesting anything when said cal was done in a warm climate, and subsequently moving to a much colder one caused the IMU to never reach temp requiring a new cal at the new temp, it would jsut "initialise" forever.

IMU cal "should not be needed" but as long as it's done correctly it won't hurt and when there are symptoms that related to calibration it's stupid to insist telling people not to do it. You'd do a better job teaching users how to recognise them.

Reactions: The Editor
I got my Mavic (my first drone) last weekend, flew it right off the car porch after updating to the latest firmware. Didn't do any calibration at all since the Go app reported everything is OK.

Did 5 flights and all good so far.

I've done none as well. Not a single issue. Rock solid flights, perfectly straight, no issues in sensors readings. 20 flights in.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm with you. I will calibrate the compass when needed but I'm not touching the IMU unless there are issues.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: MavicProMX
I see the word "farm" and I am not surprised one bit that it flew flawlessly. Can the non-calibrators let us know where they are flying? It's important for those of us who aren't anywhere near a farm or acres of fields. Unfortunately for DJI, I want to fly it where there are people and places...more interesting sites to film. I can only enjoy a sampling of videos of farmlands in Nebraska and the mores of Great Britain...

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
I would think the compass should at least be calibrated to your location. The bird might fly back to China.

I was talking to a worker from DJI the other day and he said the IMU should be calibrated before every flight, but who is actually going to do that? The IMU calibration would waste 10% of you battery before you even get it in the air.

I see the word "farm" and I am not surprised one bit that it flew flawlessly. Can the non-calibrators let us know where they are flying? It's important for those of us who aren't anywhere near a farm or acres of fields. Unfortunately for DJI, I want to fly it where there are people and places...more interesting sites to film. I can only enjoy a sampling of videos of farmlands in Nebraska and the mores of Great Britain...

Well I live in a suburb and haven't had a chance to take it out to some proper country as yet. So I'm flying off tarmac, grass, asphalt, you name it. Not calibrated and have no intention to- this craft is clearly a different animal to my P3a. However , I have calibrated the gimbal, which seems to have eliminated some very minor and random gimbal shudder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS