DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I fly a drone, ergo i must be up to no good...

Jostro65

Reactions
Took drone with me when we went to a nearby small loch in a designated country park with the kayak. The loch is used a lot for recreation, small sailing club and lots of kids being taught water activities and water safety, as well as lots of folk just out a walk to feed the ducks n swans. The missus and son went out on water, I told them to sail up to a quieter part of loch away from everyone so I could get some drone footage. As i was filming a park warden appeared, told me was illegal to fly in the park area and that I "might also be filming the kids".
Rather than make a fuss while drone was up I said ok and brought drone in, by which time he'd wandered off. I spoke to manageress in the "office/shop" and asked for a printout of their drone regs as there weren't any signs about the park/loch. She said they had none, only an expectation that anyone flying a drone would stay within the UK drone rules, which I was, being registered etc. I told her of the statement made by the warden, which by this time really had me wound up, the longer I thought about it the more I got pee'd off!
I said if filming in the area was forbidden someone had better get out and tell every parent/dog walker/duck feeder in the park who had a mobile phone in their hand they should stop immediately in case they were taking pics of kids. She did say she would educate the wardens in this area, I think more to pacify me than anything else.
It's so aggravating that anyone with a drone is assumed to be up to no good, yet any Tom/****/Harriet can wander about mobile in hand doing as they wish without issue.

As frustrating as that all was, you did the right thing. You set the tone by not getting argumentative with the Warden. It may have shown him that all drone pilots are not entitled or demanding. You went to the office to find out what the 'actual' rules were. Since she didn't have any, maybe find out if there is a website for that park to see what their policy is about drone flying. Print it out and keep it with you. If this happens again, don't argue, but be willing to show the Warden what the policy is. Now, He/She may still decide to tell you that you can't. A lot would depend on the warden on duty.

Just my thoughts.

Get down to St. Mary’s Loch/ Loch of the Lowes, near Moffat. No problems there.

I also think you did the right thing, an even if they know the FAA rules , there command can over ride any of them.

The thing about the kids was a Stupid remark on the Officers part and should have just kept with its illegal to fly in this park.

when you go back let him know you spoke with the Park officials and as long as your following the UK protocol your good to fly .

He may still feel like the answer is no , and you have to abide by that as the other posted stated.

I do think everyone should have a few canned responses for other to approach.

My favorite is that I am flying this area to see if is acceptable for Drone Search and Rescue , of course it helps if your drone looks like a Search an Rescue Unit.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Something to consider. Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.
And yes, you probably made the right decision at the time.

Took drone with me when we went to a nearby small loch in a designated country park with the kayak. The loch is used a lot for recreation, small sailing club and lots of kids being taught water activities and water safety, as well as lots of folk just out a walk to feed the ducks n swans. The missus and son went out on water, I told them to sail up to a quieter part of loch away from everyone so I could get some drone footage. As i was filming a park warden appeared, told me was illegal to fly in the park area and that I "might also be filming the kids".
Rather than make a fuss while drone was up I said ok and brought drone in, by which time he'd wandered off. I spoke to manageress in the "office/shop" and asked for a printout of their drone regs as there weren't any signs about the park/loch. She said they had none, only an expectation that anyone flying a drone would stay within the UK drone rules, which I was, being registered etc. I told her of the statement made by the warden, which by this time really had me wound up, the longer I thought about it the more I got pee'd off!
I said if filming in the area was forbidden someone had better get out and tell every parent/dog walker/duck feeder in the park who had a mobile phone in their hand they should stop immediately in case they were taking pics of kids. She did say she would educate the wardens in this area, I think more to pacify me than anything else.
It's so aggravating that anyone with a drone is assumed to be up to no good, yet any Tom/****/Harriet can wander about mobile in hand doing as they wish without issue.
That time will come to an end.

Strangely drones are improving in many ways and some popularity. I think they will also in year to come become possibly ubiquitous like the hundred of mobile phones snapping away around us of the same subjects, etc. - which we hardly notice anymore. Add to that sales for nano and mini drones are shooting through the roof. Avoiding the age-old debate of how many bad or poorly executed some droners are out there, that can spoil our fun, if you take stock, very little has happened that is really bad with drones since they came onto the market a few years ago. They just got better or easier to use, smaller in size, less invasive, and people are more educated. Long way to go, but the last people to catch up are usually the law and they are allowing for drones in many cases with the understanding they are here to to stay. In some places for mini's (sub-250g) I even think the laws are pretty good and balanced.

The other frontier is the camera-haters and media press - that have largely driven in their industry by stories that always thrive on shock, over-exaggeration and fear (that's what sells). Oh and the media will always say they have a balanced approach to reporting, which seems to give bad news in some form followed by the weather :)

Reactions: Prop Wash
I agree, you did the right thing. Arguing starts what I call ‘The Last Bite Syndrome’ if you have ever seen two dogs fight. One HAS to get the last bite. My wife does that!

Ha Ha - I fly my Mavic Mini in North Scotland. There is a site known for Dolphin Spotting where I sometimes fly. It's a popular spot and the local council recently employed wardens to primarily make sure there was no litter, camp fires and the like. I'd been out over the water at 75m up filming speedboats whizzing along and other boats and was just coming in to land on the picnic bench I was sitting at when an angry Warden starting shouting at me from 10 metres away 'THIS IS A NO DRONE FLY AREA'. I asked him to approach and said 'Where does it say that?' He said 'I say that and you could be prosecuted for a wildlife crime because of the dolphins. I said 'I don't see any Dolphins'. He said 'I know where they are they're under the water! I didn't know submerged dolphins (if they were there at all) could spot a Mavic Mini 75m above them or be bothered by it? Although apparently you can speedboat over them without complaint :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu